Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soapnuts? Natural surfactant made up of nuts?

Length
    5/5/30
    Type
    4c/F/i/ii

Default Soapnuts? Natural surfactant made up of nuts?

I just learned about soapnuts. Its basically these fruity nut looking things that grow from a tree. That you can use to clean... It's used to clean laundry, hair, and skin in india and the middle east. Thats amazing honestly. Mother nature gave us everything yet we have to make it more complicated than it should be. Has anyone used soapnuts? I want to try.

Length
    24/24/30
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Soapnuts? Natural surfactant made up of nuts?

Wow, that sounds really cool! Now you made me look it up. Turns out they're in the lychee family! Looks pretty interesting - I've never even heard of soapberries or soapnuts before.

Length
    5/5/30
    Type
    4c/F/i/ii

Do you think you might try it?

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Yea it was huge here in LHC few years ago look in the recipe and henna section of the forum theres a ton of stuff about aritha and how to make it,peoples results etc.

Its mainly used in india a long time ago now majority use regular products now. In Persia people would use sedr to clean hair and in arabia and in Morocco people use ghassoul to clean their hair and body.

Its really cool to find out what people in ancient times used but I thank god for shampoo and conditioners now.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by littlestarface View Post
    Yea it was huge here in LHC few years ago look in the recipe and henna section of the forum theres a ton of stuff about aritha and how to make it,peoples results etc.

Its mainly used in india a long time ago now majority use regular products now. In Persia people would use sedr to clean hair and in arabia and in Morocco people use ghassoul to clean their hair and body.

Its really cool to find out what people in ancient times used but I thank god for shampoo and conditioners now.
    I feel the same.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There are soapnut threads on the forum already, I think (try and have a search, do search titles only).

I fear they might be more alkaline, and thus more stripping than a nice pH balanced shampoo, or even CO-wash (very gentle). I would go that route rather than go this way. But that's me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    17"/28/68"

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post

I fear they might be more alkaline, and thus more stripping than a nice pH balanced shampoo, or even CO-wash (very gentle). I would go that route rather than go this way. But that's me.
    Do you think they might have been diluted? Or maybe used on either just length or scalp? I'd like to check this out now.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Julescarm View Post
    Do you think they might have been diluted? Or maybe used on either just length or scalp? I'd like to check this out now.
    I don't get the question? The soapnuts? The shampoo? The CO-wash?

I wouldn't touch soapnuts with a ten foot pole, it's up there for me with BS (baking soda) and the like. No way for me!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I wouldn't touch soapnuts with a ten foot pole, it's up there for me with BS (baking soda) and the like. No way for me!
    Me too. I don't get the whole "all natural" craze anyway. Arsenic is natural, it doesn't mean it's good. Store-bought shampoo/co-wash is so much easier to use, it usually smells nicer and definitely won't harm your hair.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Me too. I don't get the whole "all natural" craze anyway. Arsenic is natural, it doesn't mean it's good. Store-bought shampoo/co-wash is so much easier to use, it usually smells nicer and definitely won't harm your hair.
    This exactly. Belladonna is about the most natural thing you can get - it grows straight out of the ground! - but it will kill you.

I do understand wanting to find more natural ways of doing things, I really do. If something doesn't need so much packaging, you know the constituent chemicals are automatically biodegradable, and it does the job you want it to, that's great! But I think a lot of people jumping on the crazed bandwagon can take it too far. Synthetic can be just as safe (or safer, in many instances) than natural.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness