Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Epic Fail Thread

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default The Epic Fail Thread

Well, I searched ‘epic fail’ and couldn’t quite find what I was looking for.

If you have an embarrassing, terribad haircare FAIL then here’s the place to share it.

We all love to experiment with different routines and DIYs, what could possibly go wrong?!

I’ll start!!

Among all the perfectly curated DIY haircare blog posts and YouTube videos, there’s ME, having a crack at it and trying my best.

Today I decided to make a hair mask because it’s wash day. I wanted something to warm my scalp, so I googled it (you can tell it’s going to be good already yes?)... I read that cayenne is warming for the scalp, and I have some cayenne infused olive oil in my cupboard (I use it to cook). So I mixed a teaspoon of the cayenne oil into 3 tablespoons of olive oil. I also added a couple of drops of of lavender oil.
    I mixed it up, gently heated it in a double boiler and applied to my hair. Wrapped in cling-wrap (plastic) and put on a beanie.
    Next thing I did was go outside to ‘shoo’ a steer (a bull with some equipment missing) back into its allocated paddock after he decided to bust through a fence. He started chasing me, and next minute I had a burning sensation in my eyes. The oil had ran down my forehead and into my eyes.
    So I was running down the paddock with a twig I grabbed from the ground as my protection (desperate times) with my eyes basically shut, trying to make it out of the paddock and back to the house. Tears streaming down my face. Thankfully my expert hollering was enough to deter the steer, for me to put the fence peg back up and put the power back on. By the time I got inside I had my eyes entirely closed and managed to navigate myself through a shower routine of sorts and clean all the burny hot fecking oil out of my eye area.

In future i strongly advise everyone not to use burny hot hot ingredients on their scalp. It felt lovely, but not in my eyes. Pepper spray (mace?) is illegal to be carried by members of the public in Australia but I feel like I’ve had a taste of what it might be like to be sprayed.
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

Length
    CBL/WAIST/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: The Epic Fail Thread

When I did WO for a short period of time, I decided to put coconut oil in my hair, a lot of it.
    I don't know why but I thought I can rinse it out with just water?? I rinsed it, and when it was wet it didn't feel that oily so I went to sleep.
    The next day I walked around in a hat all day because my hair was covered from root to tip in coconut oil and I didn't have time to wash it again before school.

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Gothic View Post
    When I did WO for a short period of time, I decided to put coconut oil in my hair, a lot of it.
    I don't know why but I thought I can rinse it out with just water?? I rinsed it, and when it was wet it didn't feel that oily so I went to sleep.
    The next day I walked around in a hat all day because my hair was covered from root to tip in coconut oil and I didn't have time to wash it again before school.
    Oh man haha I always wonder what could happen (emergency where I might need to leave the house etc) when I’m slathering the oil on my hair!!

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    Well, I searched ‘epic fail’ and couldn’t quite find what I was looking for.

If you have an embarrassing, terribad haircare FAIL then here’s the place to share it.

We all love to experiment with different routines and DIYs, what could possibly go wrong?!

I’ll start!!

Among all the perfectly curated DIY haircare blog posts and YouTube videos, there’s ME, having a crack at it and trying my best.

Today I decided to make a hair mask because it’s wash day. I wanted something to warm my scalp, so I googled it (you can tell it’s going to be good already yes?)... I read that cayenne is warming for the scalp, and I have some cayenne infused olive oil in my cupboard (I use it to cook). So I mixed a teaspoon of the cayenne oil into 3 tablespoons of olive oil. I also added a couple of drops of of lavender oil.
    I mixed it up, gently heated it in a double boiler and applied to my hair. Wrapped in cling-wrap (plastic) and put on a beanie.
    Next thing I did was go outside to ‘shoo’ a steer (a bull with some equipment missing) back into its allocated paddock after he decided to bust through a fence. He started chasing me, and next minute I had a burning sensation in my eyes. The oil had ran down my forehead and into my eyes.
    So I was running down the paddock with a twig I grabbed from the ground as my protection (desperate times) with my eyes basically shut, trying to make it out of the paddock and back to the house. Tears streaming down my face. Thankfully my expert hollering was enough to deter the steer, for me to put the fence peg back up and put the power back on. By the time I got inside I had my eyes entirely closed and managed to navigate myself through a shower routine of sorts and clean all the burny hot fecking oil out of my eye area.

In future i strongly advise everyone not to use burny hot hot ingredients on their scalp. It felt lovely, but not in my eyes. Pepper spray (mace?) is illegal to be carried by members of the public in Australia but I feel like I’ve had a taste of what it might be like to be sprayed.

That's insane.. but funny ...lol..

I have a story similar to Gothics but with mineral oil.

I was in my teens, and was told it'll make my hair nice and soft (after bleaching it.) So I put tons of it on, sat around for a few hours, then "washed" it out. Well, as you can imagine it never washed out. So there I am, walking around with greasy/wet looking, yellow colored bleached hair for at least a day until my mom had enough of me whining, purchased what I think was a dandruff shampoo and made me wash my hair something like 3 times to get it out. What a horror show.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Banana mask...need I say more...lol

I thought I mashed the banana enough but I was left with tons of little banana chunks all through my hair. Man, did it take a long time to get them out.
    ​You Zarkin Frood

Length
    ChL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I once did a hair mask that included a raw egg... I washed my hair with hot water. You can imagine the rest.

It took me a while to get all of the hardened egg white out of my hair.

Length
    pixie/MBL/???
    Type
    1c/M/iii

A few years ago when I still had my pixie I decided to re-bleach my roots - the night before a trip to another country. In my endless wisdom I had picked a slightly ashier blonde tone than usual. Applied color to roots, waited a bit, applied color all over, waited some more, washed it out... and screeched at the mirror in complete horror.

My lovely sunlit hair had morphed into a horrible shade of blue-grey! In desperation I washed it with harsh shampoo numerous times until my scalp was tender. Nope. It turned a bit lighter but still stayed that ugly shade of blue-grey.

So I spent my trip looking like an aging smurf...

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

My most common fail is also with using egg, I don't think I ever had real success with it, yet I tried it probably about a dozen times. That right there is a pretty big fail. But with the egg, I was convinced that I could rinse it all out with cool enough water that at some point I would stop having issues with it. But I just couldn't. Every time I got egg cooked into my hair, no matter how long I thought I had been rinsing with cool water before.

I'm glad I gave up on that one, finally.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Stray_mind View Post
    I once did a hair mask that included a raw egg... I washed my hair with hot water. You can imagine the rest.

It took me a while to get all of the hardened egg white out of my hair.
    Omg hahaha, breakfast served straight from your hair! That’s hilarious!

Length
    ChL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    Omg hahaha, breakfast served straight from your hair! That’s hilarious!
    Lol, right?

I neber put eggs on my head since then.