Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair Vitamins

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Hair Vitamins

I wanted to make a little update to my original reply here.

I ended up making a 4-month long break between different supplements (planned to do just 2 or 3 months, but oh well). The first couple of months were ok, then my nails became super brittle and peeling, and my hair started to grow slower (I henna my hair so I can track how much my hair grows exactly). I started taking supplements on September 1st again, my nails started to grow stronger immediately, I'm sure my hair will pick up its pace soon.

So yeah, if someone says to me supplements are a waist of money, I know how to reply
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL

2018 - MICROTRIMMING! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Knee/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Eating a nutritious diet and drinking water should work well, along with some exercise. I get a regular half inch a month this way whether I take vitamins and supplements or not
    JESUS MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Current length​ Knee +

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/LTL/Knee+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I sound like a broken record sometimes but where many vitamins/minerals are concerned, 'not deficient' doesn't always mean 'optimal' or 'sufficient for non-vital functions'. It is always worth having blood tests to check, if you can, and find out the actual results so you know whether normal means actually somewhere in a healthy range, or borderline normal (which often means borderline deficient). If you're not in a position to do that, there is often little harm in doing a ton of research, starting supplements with a small amount, and gradually increasing whilst being vigilant for side effects. Water-soluble vitamins won't build up to toxic levels but too much excess can still put a strain on the internal organs that metabolise them before excess can be 'peed away' (we're usually talking kidneys, here). A similar principle applies to all vitamins/minerals though really; too mch excess can put a strain on the body to metabolise een if the vitamins themselves won't cause toxicity.

tl;dr supplements may be well worth trying as long as you make sensible, informed decisions and proceed with caution. Many people experience definite benefits like Joules above, but plenty of others will see no discernible effect. Used with caution, only a few people will experience adverse side effects (though to me, something like a 5000g megadose of biotin doesn't count as starting low or using with caution. Yes I have done it myself, and yes I regretted it )
    Nearly-Knee by 'Nineteen / A Year-and-a-half to Calf?
    A girl can dream!

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I sound like a broken record sometimes but where many vitamins/minerals are concerned, 'not deficient' doesn't always mean 'optimal' or 'sufficient for non-vital functions'. It is always worth having blood tests to check, if you can, and find out the actual results so you know whether normal means actually somewhere in a healthy range, or borderline normal (which often means borderline deficient). If you're not in a position to do that, there is often little harm in doing a ton of research, starting supplements with a small amount, and gradually increasing whilst being vigilant for side effects. Water-soluble vitamins won't build up to toxic levels but too much excess can still put a strain on the internal organs that metabolise them before excess can be 'peed away' (we're usually talking kidneys, here). A similar principle applies to all vitamins/minerals though really; too mch excess can put a strain on the body to metabolise een if the vitamins themselves won't cause toxicity.

tl;dr supplements may be well worth trying as long as you make sensible, informed decisions and proceed with caution. Many people experience definite benefits like Joules above, but plenty of others will see no discernible effect. Used with caution, only a few people will experience adverse side effects (though to me, something like a 5000g megadose of biotin doesn't count as starting low or using with caution. Yes I have done it myself, and yes I regretted it )
    I absolutely agree with the bold part. I tried megadoses of vitamins at one point, and I experienced quite a few very unpleasant side-effects. I usually take a multivitamin with moderate doses, maybe a little more of B vitamins (since my nervous system needs more support, it's either larger doses of B-vitamins on a regular basis or prescription anti-anxiety meds, and I'd like to avoid meds while I still can), but overall something well-balanced.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL

Length
    SL/WL/Term
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

I would recommend Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins, and also eating a good diet high in protein and iron. Drink a lot of water, and that should help.