Thread: August 2018: Gibson Tuck

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: August 2018: Gibson Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    I have sat through many videos in the last several minutes, watching hopefully until inevitably a hair tie appears. NEXT!
    So I have no videos, but here are my thoughts:
    Have you tried braiding maybe four-ish stitches and then starting the topsy-tailing?

Not exactly a Gibson tuck, but I tried a style on my daughter (whose hair is admittedly little kid hair) starting with twisting each side back, starting at the front on each side, then when they meet at the back, twist both sides up and just kind of tuck and pin them. It looked really pretty. I took a pic and I'll try to post it.

Again not exactly a Gibson tuck, but what about the headband trick where you tuck your hair up and over the headband until you run out of hair? It gives a similar final look.

My final idea was what if you had like a hair rat or... something else small and soft that matches your hair color and you just rolled it up and pinned it?
    Thank you so much for helping me in my search! How very kind!

I'll have to experiment with the whole thing. I think using a rat as an anchor to wrap around is probably a good start.

I think it is so odd that this Victorian style has so few tutorials on how to do it without a hair tie.... I'm pretty sure Victorian ladies didn't have access to hair ties.

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/FTL/KNEE
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post

I'll have to experiment with the whole thing. I think using a rat as an anchor to wrap around is probably a good start.

I think it is so odd that this Victorian style has so few tutorials on how to do it without a hair tie.... I'm pretty sure Victorian ladies didn't have access to hair ties.
    Right? My thought exactly. The end result might be similar but that can't be the process they used.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post

I wonder if they would have used a ribbon instead of an elastic....or string, even, which would be less slippery and wouldn't show in the finished style. Or - wool?
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Hello!

I'm (very) slowly going through hairstyle of the month posts and attempting them. After months of trying here and there I finally managed to do something that kind of... sort of... looks like a gibson tuck.

Thank goodness for spin pins!

It's still a bit mess but I think with time and practice I might get better.
    Last edited by jane_marie; September 25th, 2020 at 08:09 PM.

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

It looks lovely jane!

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

I’ve been going through hairstyles of the month to discover new dos...and found an old favourite that I didn’t even know had a name! This has been my go-to “formal” hairstyle for ages...I just kinda made it up when I discovered the topsy-tail idea I used to use a piece of millinery wire to pull my hair through.

If the pics work, this is my version with a fancy hat I made. I tend to twist the sides of my hair before ponytailing and doing the endless topsytailing. I like the look, though it really emphasises how my hair has changed colour over the years.

And I canít edit to fix the nonexistent pic...you can find it here if youíre interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191184...posted-public/

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Very nice, PeonyBlue!

To post images from Flickr look for the curved arrow pointing right in the bottom right corner under each photo. That will open a popup window from which you can select the link for the size you want to share. If you use the BBCode option you can paste the image with the code the forum will recognize and display correctly.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*