Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: August 2018: Gibson Tuck

Length
    Chin/CBL/??
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: August 2018: Gibson Tuck

I can get the topsy tail done. But, my hair isn't long enough to flip over & not spring back out despite pins. This time next year, right?
    mornings:
    (Lady Alausha, Keeper of the Blessed Tomes in the Order of the Long Haired Knights)

Length
    APL/TBL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I love it with the flowers, Lady Stardust!
    ~ Not all those who wander are lost ~

Length
    Pixie/20/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitlocks View Post
    I love it with the flowers, Lady Stardust!
    Thank you

Length
    15/44/47
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlife View Post
    I can get the topsy tail done. But, my hair isn't long enough to flip over & not spring back out despite pins. This time next year, right?
    That's the spirit!

If it helps you now, though: when my hair was shorter (all the way to APL even), I would just loosen the ponytail, make a hollow behind it, and just tuck my hair into it (so don't go all the way through like a topsy tail, if that makes sense?). You can encourage it to stay by wrapping it around a roller before tucking, or veeeery gently back combing - and then just clip or pin the filled hair-pouch against the back of your head to hide the hair elastic.

Length
    20/22/35
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Ooh I love how you got the front to swoop like that.

I love this style, but my hair is too long for it... by the time I run out of hair to flip through, I have this weird log-roll at the back of my head, not a Gibson tuck. (The log roll doesn't necessarily look bad-- I call it the "log bun" lol-- it's just not a Gibson tuck.) Or, some people flip through a couple times then just tuck the rest in, but I have too much to tuck in as well and at best I've made it look like this weird wad at the back of my head, and at worst it's popping out and through and under. I watched TorrinPaige's because her hair is similar to mine in length and volume, to see how she managed it. To me it doesn't look like a Gibson tuck... just a sort of roll at the back of the head; I think she also has too much hair. It seems the Gibson tuck only works if you don't have to pull the hair through more than two or maybe three times, and if it's not too thick.

I like to also roll the sides back sometimes when I do a style like this (start at front hairline, start twisting toward the inside until I get to nape of neck) as it continues that visual "twist" that you get from topsy-tailing your hair, but I'm also roll-challenged and whenever I do nifty side-rolls, they always unroll themselves no matter how tightly I do them initially.

I've seen tutorials for this style also done where on the first time, you topsy it through in the middle, then for the next two times, you do it to either side of the original. Either way, it helps to spread the hair out a bit width-wise so you don't have just this narrow knot that continues to build up (that's partly how I end up with the log roll).

The braided version someone posted is lovely, though I have a feeling that on me it would look more like a messy wad of braided hair than a polished, classy little bunch like hers...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitlocks View Post
    Have you ever tried one of the topsy tail tools? My hair is fine/slippery enough that I can just grab and pull, but TorrinPaige always seems to use one when she does something like that on her hair. I think they're generally pretty cheap.
    I've bought the cheap version before, and the first time I used it, I tugged on it to get my hair through and the loop broke. Maybe the actual Topsy Tail brand tool is more durable...

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I did the braided version.
    _DSC6884

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

I tried the braided version yesterday (only two loops for braids, not three). Every time I tilted my head back, the braids bumped up against my shoulders. Not that comfortable.

Later I tried modifying it, pulling the braid loops tighter (much as neko_kawaii did above), and that was annoying, too... now the braids were against my head and neck, and all the little fuzzy bits sticking out itched like crazy. I couldn't wait to take it down!

Maybe start higher on the head next time...