Thread: Help me identify my hair type!

Default Help me identify my hair type!

I have been trying the water porosity test but I keep getting different results. Part of my hair will float, some will sink, some will stay in the middle..different strands do different things..it's almost like my hair is having an identity crisis.

I know my hair is protein sensitive. Mayo masks, banana masks, egg masks, coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, and certain deep conditioners make my hair very dry and brittle, especially the ends.

I just trimmed and dusted my whole head of hair three weeks ago and it's already splitting. I noticed it worse while oiling (how I came to the conclusion of my protein sensitivity) and am done touching any masks or oil.

I have also started using no sulfate shampoo and no silicone conditioner and I love it! I have also started using more water while conditioning my hair and again, I love it and my hair feels so soft and bouncy.

My hair responds good to heat if I use a heat protectant and seems to do bad if I use anything cold. If I finish my shower with cool water, my hair tangled up and basically hates life.

I guess what I'm asking here, is if anyone can draw a conclusion from all of that and lead me in the right direction towards products, methods, and especially any leave ins or deep conditioners with little to no protein in it? My hair needs some mositure but I have found NOTHING that helps besides my new conditioner. Most leave ins/deep conditioners make my hair unbearably dry!

I'm currently at 18 inches and it seems like the constant damage and me not knowing how to take care of my hair is making it grow even slower.

My mom never knew how to care for my hair since she has fine, straight, and oily hair. My hair is medium thick, dry at the ends, and slightly wavy but mostly straight. She would tell me to barely use conditioner, wash every day, use heat on it, and didn't know how to tame it so my hair for the longest time was below collar bone length from 12-16 years old. I have tried everything in the book it seems and no luck.

Only thing I'm going to try that's new is whatever y'all recommend and silk pillow cases!

Length
    CBL/WL+/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Help me identify my hair type!

Do you have hard water or swim in chlorinated pools? Perhaps you need to use a chelating shampoo to remove buildup.
    CBL → APL → BSL→ MBL → WL+
    ⋆Natural blonette growing to virgin hip⋆

I haven't swam in a pool in years, and I have well water..maybe it is build up. I'm going to look up that kind of shampoo thank you!

Type
    1c/M/ii

Can u post a pic after u wash, no conditioner, no brushing and only air dry? That’s the hair type test. Everyone can tell you then your hair type. You may be very surprised I was!
    currently hip length..3.0 thickness (at the nape past that damage from commercial color and bad habits)

Length
    Chin/Class/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hannah.doughten View Post
    I guess what I'm asking here, is if anyone can draw a conclusion from all of that and lead me in the right direction towards products, methods, and especially any leave ins or deep conditioners with little to no protein in it? My hair needs some mositure but I have found NOTHING that helps besides my new conditioner. Most leave ins/deep conditioners make my hair unbearably dry!
    I agree with Wendyp. If you want us to hairtype you, wash/condition and then let air dry - take a picture of the back of your head and post it here.

As for the products, you are going to have to experiment on your own. There is no one that can recommend specific products for you that will do well with your hair - you are going to have to look for those yourself. It's not that easy as recommending things after you tell us what your hair is like.

Everyone uses different products, and there's plenty to choose from in the drugstore, just go with what you think is nice and affordable.

I personally love stylers by Cantu (affordable), Shea Moisture (less affordable at 17-22 euro a tub here), Eden Bodyworks is good too. Those are a few of the brands you can find out there, but there's plenty more.

Welcome to the forum!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)