Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use disposable icing piping bags for henna?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Use disposable icing piping bags for henna?

Hi all,
    Long time lurker here. My brief henna history is 10+ years of Mehendi.com Punjabi Prime (remember that one?) and Rajasthani Twilight. I took a two-year break to assess my grays (maybe 20%) and make friends with my blah brown color. What I didn’t count on during the break was how much I missed henna’s curl pattern loosening. So happily back to henna, starting this time with Jamila 2017 (too irange even after 1 week oxidation) and next up to Red Raj and hibiscus powder experiments. I’m a Henna Sooq convert now.

Finally to my question: does anyone use icing piping bags to apply henna, and how well does it work? If so, do you have a brand or source recommendation? In my brief research I see on Amazon that Ateco sells a box of 100 for $10. I’ve been using good gloves and glopping it into hair sections, but am open about application alternatives.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Use disposable icing piping bags for henna?

I use a large applicator bottle I got from sally's. You can cut the tip to get whatever size opening you want. Its a lot easier and cleaner than just glopping it on.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I use a large applicator bottle I got from sally's. You can cut the tip to get whatever size opening you want. Its a lot easier and cleaner than just glopping it on.
    Thanks, Obsidian. I can see that an applicator bottle has advantages over a carrot bag because it’s not squishy, so you’d have more control. Do you wash it out and reuse it?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Yep, I reuse it. I actually freeze any left over henna I have in it, just thaw and use the next go round. Eventually I do get it empty and give it a good scrubbing and fill it back up again and into the freezer it goes.
    I always make up a big batch of henna to freeze and keep on hand.

Length
    1/16?/24ish
    Type
    1a/F/i

I haven't hennaed my hair for.... um.... 35 years.... but I just want to say that both the piping bag and the applicator nozzle bottle ideas are pure genius! Past me would have loved to know about that, rather than turning my shared student bathroom into an exploded compost heap.... oops.

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Yep, I reuse it. I actually freeze any left over henna I have in it, just thaw and use the next go round. Eventually I do get it empty and give it a good scrubbing and fill it back up again and into the freezer it goes.
    I always make up a big batch of henna to freeze and keep on hand.
    Freezing it in the bottle? Now that’s genius and super practical. Off to Sally’s ....

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sallyd View Post
    I haven't hennaed my hair for.... um.... 35 years.... but I just want to say that both the piping bag and the applicator nozzle bottle ideas are pure genius! Past me would have loved to know about that, rather than turning my shared student bathroom into an exploded compost heap.... oops.
    That made me laugh out loud, so true. I’ve learned the hard way to keep some Mr. Clean Magic Erasers around for glops that go astray.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by sallyd View Post
    I know how that goes, often when doing my whole head I just scoop the mud out of a bowl and smash it into my hair. I did a hibiscus treatment the other day, it looked like magenta murder happened in the bathroom. I had it everywhere, luckily it cleaned up easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreSky View Post
    Freezing it in the bottle? Now that’s genius and super practical. Off to Sally’s ....
    That was born out of laziness more than anything but it turned out working great

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I didn’t end up going to Sally’s yesterday for a bottle, but washed out the one I had been using for castor oil. It wasn’t the happy experience I hoped for because I probably should have made a larger opening and mixed the henna-hibiscus a wee bit thinner. I prefer thicker to avoid runs, but — don’t laugh — it took two hands to get it out. I finally took the cap off and squeezed a glop at a time.

Getting it into the bottle was pretty messy too. Obsidian, any tips how to do that a little more efficiently are appreciated. I did freeze the rest in the bottle for now. I’m not giving up on the bottle method and will go see what Sally’s has for next time.

The good news is that I love ❤️ the Red Raj-hibiscus color over the Jamali, red orange versus yellow orange. It should oxidize into a nice auburn, which I’ll maintain as much as I can. Not sure how important hibiscus will be for root apps, so maybe I’ll go the mixed with conditioner route for its rosy loveliness instead. Sorry no photos yet because I’m new.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Sounds like the hole was too small, mine is probably close to a 1/4"

I use a cheap plastic funnel to fill the bottle. I tried piping it in once with a bag, it was a disaster.

Your color sounds lovely. I tried hibiscus a couple times, my hair doesn't take it at all but that's ok, I prefer more orange tones.