Thread: New to shampoo bar

Default New to shampoo bar

Hi everybody. My name is Tina and I'm from Denmark (excuse my bad grammar if there's any). I'm sort of new to this community and I really need your help regarding this new shampoo bar I've started to use.
    A few months ago I cut of 30 cm hair (almost 12 inches) to donation and since then I've wanted to start my "no-poo" journey because my hair is easier to manage. I've read so much about it and I'm not sure what to do. I've used the shampoo bar for two weeks and I've tried vinegar rinse and dipping my bar in baking soda when washing. I know that I'm going through a transition period but I just can't get all the soap out of my hair + it's very greasy all the time and it just seem like it's going nowhere. My water is "medium" hard if you can say that. It's not as hard as in the big cities but it's not soft and I've not had any trouble with it just using normal shampoo and conditioner.
    I just wants some tips! What did you do? How long did the transition period last? What tips do you have for a newbie? Etc

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default Re: New to shampoo bar

Step one: find the big shampoo bar thread! We have loads of tips!

Step two: stop dipping your ends in baking soda! Nope, nope, nope, not needed with a shampoo bar, only the vinegar rinse.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    chin/APL/knee
    Type
    1a/F/ii

What is your hair type and what shampoo bar are you using? Some are based with oils like coconut and may not be as cleansing as you would like. I did not really have a transition period when switching to shampoo bars, which I did because they contain all natural ingredients and are plastic free I took the bar, rubbed it on my scalp paying attention to the most oily bits, massaged it in with my fingers and rinsed thoroughly with warm water (I noticed cold tends to induce more waxiness).

For vinegar rinses, I find that if I get it on my roots then they become greasy looking even after drying, so I would avoid that. I fill up a large cup with diluted ACV and just dip just the length of my hair into it, but I don't do that too often because I have soft water. I would also stop the baking soda all together because I've heard too many stories about it making hair brittle over time.

Welcome to the LHC
    "...everyone's in love and flowers pick themselves"

Type
    3a/M/i/ii

You might have to play around with shampoo bars to see if you prefer one over the other. Ive never heard of dipping the bar in baking soda... thats a new one for me.

You also may need to shampoo twice (is it shampoo bar residue or is your hair not getting clean) and yes the ACV rinse... Ive used regular vinegar diluted as well.
    Aspiring Henna head Began journey: 3/9/2015 to grow out gray Cut to pixie: 3/9/2015 Current length: BSL 4/2018 Current color: (yes started coloring again 2/2018 Herbatint 7N Goal length: Tailbone