Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moon hairtoys

[Judging you in Spanish] Milady_DeWinter's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Moon hairtoys

I was offered a moon hairtoy but I'm not sure about the measurements I would need. I have the feeling that the *big* 11cm wide would still be a bit too small for me. I think I saw somewhere that you need to know your bun diameter (which is a bit over 6" ATM, 5.75" if very very tight), but I'm mot sure.

Any ideas? Moon owners, what do you think?

BSL • MBL • WL • HL • BCL • TBL • Wrist • Classic! • FTL
    Thickness: 5 1/2" - 14cm | Length: 42,5" - 108cm
    My little braid thread

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Default Re: Moon hairtoys - what size to get?

No one?

My little braid thread

Length
    15/29.5/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

:LOL: So I've been wondering the same thing but for the opposite reason - because they all look so huge! Following!

Shoulder~APL~BSL
    ~Waist - Onward to Hip?!

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Welcome spitfire! Hopefully someone could give us more info BTW I just checked an old image I saved on my phone from etsy (can't remember from WHERE, but a german store for sure) that indicates that the outside diameter of the moon should be the same diameter as the bun. If someone knows the store it is from to double check it would be great

My little braid thread

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Milady_DeWinter View Post
    Welcome spitfire! Hopefully someone could give us more info BTW I just checked an old image I saved on my phone from etsy (can't remember from WHERE, but a german store for sure) that indicates that the outside diameter of the moon should be the same diameter as the bun. If someone knows the store it is from to double check it would be great

Great question! I've never owned a moon shaped item, so I don't know... But just looking at the picture you shared, I wonder why they are saying that it's the outside diameter of the moon that should match the diameter of the bun ... Shouldn't it be the inside diameter of the moon that matches the diameter of the bun, since that will be the surface area of the hairtoy that will be touching/holding the outside edges of the bun?
    Also, shouldn't the moon be even bigger than that size anyway, considering that it will have to "weave" through all (or some of) the thickness of the edges of the bun (deeper, closer to scalp) in order to pin the bun to the head instead of just pierce through the bun in one straight line, so to speak?

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Great question! I've never owned a moon shaped item, so I don't know... But just looking at the picture you shared, I wonder why they are saying that it's the outside diameter of the moon that should match the diameter of the bun ... Shouldn't it be the inside diameter of the moon that matches the diameter of the bun, since that will be the surface area of the hairtoy that will be touching/holding the outside edges of the bun?
    Also, shouldn't the moon be even bigger than that size anyway, considering that it will have to "weave" through all (or some of) the thickness of the edges of the bun (deeper, closer to scalp) in order to pin the bun to the head instead of just pierce through the bun in one straight line, so to speak?
    No idea, really. That have sense, but I see people using 9cm moons and 11cm moons at most that looks perfect in size for little and medium/big buns. The thing is, my diameter is about 6 1/4" so about 16cm. I draw how a moon of that size would be and looks way too big I think. I think that it isn't necessary to have such a big moon, if you are using it with center held buns mostly. I'm thinking about a +5"/13cm (outside diameter)... but would love more input and feedback first

My little braid thread

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

The smallest moon I’ve got has an outside diameter of 9cm. The largest is 13cm. It feels pretty huge, pokes out of my bun. The 9cm disappears completely into the bun.

The question is, how do you want to wear them? If you’re doing a center held bun, then you should be using the radius instead of diameter measurement.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I usually go with LWB, and would like to try wearing a chinese bun with it. I think I saw the biggest moon you say in some pic, and that might be the right size. I don't want it to dissapear in my bun, but to be seen without being, you know, huge. The thing is that my mane uses to minimize hairtoys, and what seems too huge is even quite te opposite. So I can't rely on my eyes

How would you calculate the radio to be in the moon? : ponder: being it the same radio as the bun?

Thank you for the help
    Last edited by Milady_DeWinter; February 22nd, 2019 at 10:45 AM.

My little braid thread

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

No problem! The radius is just half the diameter. So divide by two and you’ve got the radius.

I think the best way to picture it is to pretend you’re making the bun but securing it with a hairstick. Where would the hairstick go? Where do you secure the longer hair to the hair on your head? That’s what you’ll be mimicking when you use the moon.

So if it’s a center held, for instance, you’ll be more concerned about radius than diameter. Because you need the moon to secure the center of the bun, not the outer edges. Here’s an example of what I mean. The claw was 4.5 inches across, but it sticks out of my cinnabun because I secure it though the middle.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    No problem! The radius is just half the diameter. So divide by two and you’ve got the radius.

I think the best way to picture it is to pretend you’re making the bun but securing it with a hairstick. Where would the hairstick go? Where do you secure the longer hair to the hair on your head? That’s what you’ll be mimicking when you use the moon.

So if it’s a center held, for instance, you’ll be more concerned about radius than diameter. Because you need the moon to secure the center of the bun, not the outer edges. Here’s an example of what I mean. The claw was 4.5 inches across, but it sticks out of my cinnabun because I secure it though the middle.
    Lol yep I know how to get the radius, I was just wondering if it should be the same measurement as the radius of my bun or more... You are right, it has more sense. In that example, what is the measure of the claw?
    Last edited by Milady_DeWinter; February 22nd, 2019 at 03:20 PM.

My little braid thread