Thread: Question about sulfates and silicones

Length
    2"/28"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Default Question about sulfates and silicones

Hi, I'm new to reading the ingredients on the back of my shampoo bottles.
    I recently quit using a sulfate shampoo for my normal washes as it was stripping my strands of their much-needed moisture. Along with it, I quit using silicones as I learned they create a barrier that prevents moisture from penetrating.

My question is this: I read somewhere that the ONLY way to rid your hair of the layer of silicone build-up is with a sulfate shampoo. Is this true?
    I noticed that some of my styling products list dimethicone way at the bottom of the list. If I were to use these, is there any other substance that would clarify out the silicone other than a harsh shampoo? ACV, for example?

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Question about sulfates and silicones

I was sulfate free before going silicone free. My clarifying shampoo does not contain sulfates, it's clarifies with activated charcoal and it got rid of everything.
    Any mild surfactant like cocamidopropyl betaine or coco betaine will get rid of silicone build-up.

You'll know right away as you'll have less slip, but your hair should be better moisturized, and softer after a few washes as well.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    2"/28"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Thank you, very informative.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Sulfates might be the most effective way to remove silicones, but they’re definitely not the only way. Most surfactants in most shampoos can handle it, and even some surfactants in conditioner can do it too. Additionally some silicones are water soluble.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If you want to get all the silicones off of your hair then yes a sulfate (preferably clarifying) shampoo is what you need. Dimethicone is especially problematic because it's not water soluble.

If you're not going to use a sulfate, try sulfate-free shampoos by Hask, Maui Moisture, or Shea Moisture as they are strong enough to get rid of the silicones as well, but maybe not as effective.

Yes, a sulfate is quick & easy, and a bottle of it is always great to have on hand!

I also went sulfate-free and silicone free for a while, only to return to the sulfates and the silicones, discovering my hair and scalp actually needed them (I have a scalp condition).

Sometimes it's not as easy as that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

If cocamidopropyl betaine is the primary surfactant, it should be fine, especially if dimethicone is way down the list of ingredients. Most sulphate-free shampoos use a combination of surfactants (as indeed do most sulphate shampoos!) to be as effective as possible.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I've found Shea Moisture's African Black soap shampoo gets out a heck of a lot of stuff, so that might be worth a shot. Smells like banana poo but works well.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.

I currently use Mixed Chicks Kids Leave In Conditioner to style my hair with. It has Amodimethicone in it high on the ingredient listing. It is a non water soluble cone. I know that Amodimethicone can be effectively removed with Jessicurl's Cleansing Cream (it contains cocamidopropyl betaine in it among other cleansing agents). It is considered to be a co-wash cleanser. However, it's cleansing ability does go deeper than most typical co-washes on the market do.

Many people think that they must use a sulfate shampoo to remove cones from their hair, but there are sulfate free cleansers on the market that do contain surfactants that are totally effective enough to remove cones.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Reservechic View Post
    I currently use Mixed Chicks Kids Leave In Conditioner to style my hair with. It has Amodimethicone in it high on the ingredient listing. It is a non water soluble cone. I know that Amodimethicone can be effectively removed with Jessicurl's Cleansing Cream (it contains cocamidopropyl betaine in it among other cleansing agents). It is considered to be a co-wash cleanser. However, it's cleansing ability does go deeper than most typical co-washes on the market do.

Many people think that they must use a sulfate shampoo to remove cones from their hair, but there are sulfate free cleansers on the market that do contain surfactants that are totally effective enough to remove cones.
    Nevertheless, I always had a sulfate shampoo on hand in case something didn't quite get removed; this was back in the day when I experimented heavily with sulfate-free. I used Jessicurl back then too (both their cleansers). I quite like what the stylers did for my hair, but I have since switched to Shea Moisture (for my stylers only) and am *loving* it!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)