Thread: Forum newbie with long hair here! Brief(ish) current hair info

Length
    BSL/WL/WL/HL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Forum newbie with long hair here! Brief(ish) current hair info

Hello everyone!
    I'm excited I've found this forum, never crossed my mind there'd be a long hair community I could find and possibly chat in

To start off, aside from any hair type info that's on my profile, I have long hair that's pretty much already at my goal length, I would say waist length (I will try to post a picture of at least my hair pulled to the front to start off) And I believe my hair type is somewhere between 2a and 2b for waves in the back, and closer to 1c-2a in the front parts. Possibly M for strand thickness, maybe bordering towards C, and also probably between a ii and iii for overall thickness.

My general health of my hair is pretty dry, at least very much on the ends and middle, with sometimes a semi-oily scalp when I haven't washed (though I think a lot of that has to do with shampoo or any leave in products I use. I tend to put them all over my hair because I get frustrated). I would say winter I do get dry scalp (some flakes) and then on very occasion during other parts of the year, but I think it is because of hot water/hard water, and change in products.
    I do not style my hair, its wet from the shower, air dried and boom (simple gal). I use loving blends (the oatmeal one at the moment) for shampoo and conditioner, and I've used a vitamin E oil blend as a leave in/tamer but it has some cones in it and really never helps as much as I wanted.

My goals are 1: trim my ends for the split ends and a little bit of shape, 2 hydrate and tame frizziness/dryness and static, as well as get it to stop tangling!!! And 3, I would like to go natural with my products, possibly no-poo or using something like a natural shampoo bar (which I have ordered samples from Sweet Creek Soap) and minimal or no leave in products (even if they are natural)

https://i.imgur.com/xClEKeJ.jpg This is my general hair, probably a day or 2 after wash (all photos I decided I would like to not show my face at the moment)

https://i.imgur.com/CBbWwKB.jpg This is showing a bit more dryness, and possibly slightly more wave

https://i.imgur.com/KrxPa1Q.jpg And this was after I had gotten a trim, with blow dry styling from the salon, with some random George Michael shampoo and products they used, so I know my hair can at least temporarily tame its self :\

Anyways I hope this isn't a huge wall of text, I just hope I can work on these goals of mine!

Length
    SL/HL/BCL
    Type
    2a/2b/C/iii

Default Re: Forum newbie with long hair here! Brief(ish) current hair info

Hello and welcome!

Having a look at the Curly Girl method might help with the frizz but if you follow the exact routine it does require leave ins but you can modify it to suit you.
    Loose: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL
    Braided: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL
    No trim until 2020. Braids until 2019.

Length
    BSL/WL/WL/HL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Thanks for the welcome!

And I have looked into that method, but it seems there's sooo much involved, and yea a lot of leave-ins which I'm not too fond of. I was going to at least just dry the low-poo shampoo and their conditioner, but it's pricey for me at the current moment. Maybe in the future I'll try, after I've exhausted a couple other options, but thank you for the suggestion, it's something I've bookmarked!

Length
    Chin/Class/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have oilier hair and drier lengths myself. I use the WCC method for washing which means I condition twice after washing my hair (ears down every time). There is also the CWC method for washing, where you slightly turn it around. The CWC method is far more established and older than the WCC method, which saw the life due to me having to wash with a pretty harsh shampoo to keep my scalp calm (SD, seborrheic dermatitis).

I would say your hair is 2b judging from the first picture. Even 2b/c judging from the kind of wurliness of that one strand there. Your natural texture is simply lovely!

Welcome to the forum!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/WL/WL/HL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I have oilier hair and drier lengths myself. I use the WCC method for washing which means I condition twice after washing my hair (ears down every time). There is also the CWC method for washing, where you slightly turn it around. The CWC method is far more established and older than the WCC method, which saw the life due to me having to wash with a pretty harsh shampoo to keep my scalp calm (SD, seborrheic dermatitis).

I would say your hair is 2b judging from the first picture. Even 2b/c judging from the kind of wurliness of that one strand there. Your natural texture is simply lovely!

Welcome to the forum!
    Thank you! I think the WCC or CWC should probably be an obvious try then, since I'm still waiting on my shampoo bars to arrive. Good way to use up my current stuff :P

Length
    Chin/Class/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Also I wanted to chime in that you need to be careful with the distinction between dry & oily scalp. I would even seek out a dermatologist for your "winter issue". If your scalp is generally oily then the flakes aren't from a dry scalp usually but from a fungal overgrowth, that is SD, or seborrheic dermatitis. It is worth it getting it checked out if it's not that. Because treatment for it differs than for a dry scalp. You can't for instance oil a scalp with SD, as that might make things worse.

Washing with Head & Shoulders often is a first recourse, but that doesn't scratch the "itch" in a lot of cases.

I have been prescribed a medicated shampoo (Nizoral 2%) for it. The thing for me to do between bouts of it is wash with a really cleansing shampoo, like Pantene or Herbal Essences, or whatever I have on hand now (I am trying to use stuff up, and I hope I don't get SD). It's what works for me.

Nothing else worked, not herbal washing, ACV, shampoo bars, African Black soap, etc., CG method, CO-washing, sulfate-free. Tried it all, all failed terribly for me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/WL/WL/HL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Also I wanted to chime in that you need to be careful with the distinction between dry & oily scalp. I would even seek out a dermatologist for your "winter issue". If your scalp is generally oily then the flakes aren't from a dry scalp usually but from a fungal overgrowth, that is SD, or seborrheic dermatitis. It is worth it getting it checked out if it's not that. Because treatment for it differs than for a dry scalp. You can't for instance oil a scalp with SD, as that might make things worse.

Washing with Head & Shoulders often is a first recourse, but that doesn't scratch the "itch" in a lot of cases.

I have been prescribed a medicated shampoo (Nizoral 2%) for it. The thing for me to do between bouts of it is wash with a really cleansing shampoo, like Pantene or Herbal Essences, or whatever I have on hand now (I am trying to use stuff up, and I hope I don't get SD). It's what works for me.

Nothing else worked, not herbal washing, ACV, shampoo bars, African Black soap, etc., CG method, CO-washing, sulfate-free. Tried it all, all failed terribly for me.
    Ohhhh!!! Now that you mention it I totally went to the doctor for other skin issues and she noticed my scalp stuff, she did give me a shampoo once. Can't believe I forgot that! She did mention a fungal thing, but I don't remember her using that name, but I'm no expert at remembering scientific names. As of this past winter up to this year, I probably had dryness 3 separate times, so not as bad as before, and usually gone within a couple days, but worth going back now that you jogged my memory.