Thread: I killed my vacuum..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Default I killed my vacuum..

With shed hairs! UGH! I'm not talking "it stopped" I'm talking smoke coming out of it, burning smell, whole nine yards. There's NO saving it. Anyone have recommendations for a vacuum that won't quit the first time it gets clogged with hair? It wasn't even like hair was wrapped around and around the roller, there were maybe 10-15 hairs, which I cut and pulled loose before starting the vacuum. It still died. Really looking for something under 100$ if at all possible.
    Pixie..Chin length...Shoulder length...APL...BSL...WL ​I reached my hair goal!
    Lady Undine Waverunner of the Azure Seas in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: I killed my vacuum..

Do you have carpet? If you're working with bare floors, you could get a cannister vacuum with an attachment that doesn't have a beater bar. I don't know any specific brands/models/prices though.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Oh my gosh I had no idea vacuums could really "die" from shed hairs, yikes! I myself jam up the vacuum sometimes, good to know.

I'm not very savvy on the different types of vacuums out there, but hope you're able to find a good one soon!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Been there done that, smoke and all. No idea what are good machines now, but I'd recommend sweeping with a broom first if you can. That really gets up a lot of stuff.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    Been there done that, smoke and all. No idea what are good machines now, but I'd recommend sweeping with a broom first if you can. That really gets up a lot of stuff.
    And if it's a carpeted area, there's a "mini carpet roller" thing (really wish I could remember the name) available in dollar stores etc. that you just brush over and it effortlessly eats up all the shed hair

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Dyson. Woot periodically has big sales on them.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/C/iii

Does the beater bar turn freely?

My Kenmore/Panasonic vacuum would accumulate hair behind the bearings. These could not be removed. After replacing the beater bar several times, I found that the vacuum did an adequate job without it. The beater-less vacuum now gets hair caught only in its wheels.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Yes my apartment is 80% carpet.

No, the beater bar does not turn freely. Since my apartment is becoming overwhelmed with cat fuzz, I decided to impulse buy a dirt devil max pet. Hopefully I'll remember to check back in a year to see how its holding up.
    Pixie..Chin length...Shoulder length...APL...BSL...WL ​I reached my hair goal!
    Lady Undine Waverunner of the Azure Seas in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Length
    25ish/31/40+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I use a Shark lift-away vacuum. Now that we have a seam-ripper for the pet attachment, it works pretty well (which, by the way, is a great suggestion I got from someone here for de-hairing a vacuum, and it has worked wonders).

Unfortunately Sharks are like 170. But I recommend them highly for hair, both human and cat.
    "All things strive."
    Waist-length, and (grudgingly) rocking the fairytale ends. Hoping for hip by the end of 2019 with at least a semi-decent hemline. Ultimate goal of TBL...or longer.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

After replacing many motors (on Sear's brand canisters) we now use a small shop vac, with a bag inside. It works.