Thread: ABC Hairstyle Challenge!

Length
    SL/?/?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: ABC Hairstyle Challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    Oooh boy.
    This was a fun challenge but it would be more challenging now that my hair is almost three years longer (and since I never do anything with it).
    I’d love to be able to do the challenge but my hair isn’t even long enough for the first bun, the Artemis Bun, haha!

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    I’d love to be able to do the challenge but my hair isn’t even long enough for the first bun, the Artemis Bun, haha!
    Well you don't have to stick to my list! You can make your own! Have you checked out the hairstyle thesaurus? There's tons of ideas. If I decide to do it again, I'll probably make a brand new list for myself with different styles this time.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

This is such a great thread, I might try the A-Z throughout October (I challenged myself with LWB variations throughout September), what a lot of fun I will have this month!
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    SL/FTL/knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

This looks like quite a bit of fun. I think I'll do two versions, a A-Z braid challenge and an A-Z bun challenge where I do the braids on the weekends and the buns during the week because the braided styles will mostly take longer and many aren't very protective. I might need to get creative with naming. Looking through this thread, the hairstyle thesaurus, and a LOT of hairstyle recreation videos, here is my preliminary list:
    Buns Braids
    Artemis bun Amish braids
    Brioche bun Battle braid
    Celtic knot bun Cable braid
    Disc bun Dutch braid
    Elling woman bun Eleven strand braid
    Figure 8 bun French braid
    Gibraltar bun Gibson braids
    Infinity bun Interlaced braids
    Jamie Leigh braided bun Jenny's braided style (Outlander)
    Knot bun Katara braid
    L-finity bun Lace braid
    Marine bun Madora
    Neoma knot bun Nynaeve al'Maera braid
    Orchid bun Outlander braided style (Geneva Dunsany)
    Pansy bun Padme on Mustafar
    eQuilibrium bun Qarth braids (Daenerys)
    Rose bun Rosestem bun
    Seashell bun Sansa's braided hairstyle
    Tessera buns Torvi's basketweave braided style
    SeUbian knot Upside down French braid
    Vortex bun Viking warrior braid
    Woven bun Warrior braid (Chiribaya)
    boX braided bun X-X braids
    hYpno swirl bun Yennefer's braided hairstyle (from Pretty Shepherd)
    PretZel bun Zelda, BotW braided hairstyle
    Last edited by Pouncequick; October 14th, 2022 at 04:58 PM.

SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WL ~ HL~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ FTL ~ KL

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pouncequick View Post
    This looks like quite a bit of fun. I think I'll do two versions, a A-Z braid challenge and an A-Z bun challenge where I do the braids on the weekends and the buns during the week because the braided styles will mostly take longer and many aren't very protective. I might need to get creative with naming. Looking through this thread, the hairstyle thesaurus, and a LOT of hairstyle recreation videos, here is my preliminary list:
    Buns Braids
    Artemis bun Amish braids
    Brioche bun Battle braid
    Celtic knot bun Cable braid
    Disc bun Dutch braid
    Elling woman bun Eleven strand braid
    Figure 8 bun French braid
    Gibraltar bun Gibson braids
    Infinity bun Interlaced braids
    Jamie Leigh braided bun Jenny's braided style (Outlander)
    Knot bun Katara braid
    L-finity bun Lace braid
    Marine bun Madora
    Neoma knot bun Nynaeve al'Maera braid
    Orchid bun Outlander braided style (Geneva Dunsany)
    Pansy bun Padme on Mustafar
    eQuilibrium bun Qarth braids (Daenerys)
    Rose bun Rosestem bun
    Seashell bun Sansa's braided hairstyle
    Tessera buns Torvi's basketweave braided style
    SeUbian knot Upside down French braid
    Vortex bun Viking warrior braid
    Woven bun Warrior braid (Chiribaya)
    boX braided bun X-X braids
    hYpno swirl bun Yennefer's braided hairstyle (from Pretty Shepherd)
    PretZel bun Zelda, BotW braided hairstyle
    Oh thank you so much for coming up with the braid and bun versions! That’s a great list! I hope I can finish the challenge before 2023.
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    SL/FTL/knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    Oh thank you so much for coming up with the braid and bun versions! That’s a great list! I hope I can finish the challenge before 2023.
    No problem. I selected styles I was interested in trying and at some point I realized I had multiple styles on most of the letters, and they just happened to break apart by braid vs. bun fairly easily. I actually had more braided styles than bunned styles and many of the buns are also braided. So I tried to break those up by how long they will take. I can braid a million tiny accent braids into my hair on a Saturday but I don't have that kind of time when I need to go to work. I think the bun ideas I came up with are mostly the easier styles. The braids are largely rope braids or english braids with a couple french braided bun styles so if you want to start with that list you can. If you have any questions about where a style came from I can send you the videos or I will link them whenever it isn't very obvious when I get to them. Harpgal's preferred bun style for a long time was a center-held braided bun, but that doesn't start with an "h" and I wear the hypno bun almost daily.

SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WL ~ HL~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ FTL ~ KL

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pouncequick View Post
    No problem. I selected styles I was interested in trying and at some point I realized I had multiple styles on most of the letters, and they just happened to break apart by braid vs. bun fairly easily. I actually had more braided styles than bunned styles and many of the buns are also braided. So I tried to break those up by how long they will take. I can braid a million tiny accent braids into my hair on a Saturday but I don't have that kind of time when I need to go to work. I think the bun ideas I came up with are mostly the easier styles. The braids are largely rope braids or english braids with a couple french braided bun styles so if you want to start with that list you can. If you have any questions about where a style came from I can send you the videos or I will link them whenever it isn't very obvious when I get to them. Harpgal's preferred bun style for a long time was a center-held braided bun, but that doesn't start with an "h" and I wear the hypno bun almost daily.
    Thank you, I think Silvaplaits and ladollyvita333/LaDollyVita33 have done many of the hairstyle tutorials mentioned above, I will check out all the styles through the search fuction here first, and come back for more information if I can't find it at all.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; October 14th, 2022 at 10:32 PM.

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

This is the first assignment of LHC’s ABC Hairstyle Challenge, I will do both the bun and braid versions separately, but I probably won’t update every day. Let’s start from A for Artemis Bun. Fingers crossed, I hope I can finish the ABC Bun Challenge before 2023 lol.
    Also, Happy birthday to me!

I will eventually make video tutorials of all my A-Z Bun challenge just for the experience and help others. I hope that by creating this 9-picture grid format, I can slowly build up my own hairstyle dictionary, or pictionary for visual learners.

New Level Unlocked, here’s my first attempt at the Artemis Bun, basically just a good old nautilus bun turning 90-degree clockwise and sticking the hairpin vertically. I haven’t shampooed my hair for 25 days now and my locks are still holding strong.

First, without a tie, I gather my hair into a pony on the lower center back of my head with my left hand.
    With my right palm facing backward and the thumb up, I clamp the pony from under with the L formed by my right index and thumb.
    I pull the pony down to cover my right palm with my left hand, then I turn my right palm to the right and then to the front, this is a counterclockwise motion, thus forming the first loop with my right index-pinkie. If your hair is on the thin side, you might need 2-3 fingers for the loop, if you're on the ultra-thick side, you can wrap around five fingers or the whole wrist. To me, 4 fingers are just right for my length and my thickness.
    I wrap the rest of the hair clockwise around the base of the pony with my left hand until the ends are tucked, then I start to pull the loop off my right hand and slowly push the wrapped coils upward. I adjust a little bit until I feel the loops are knitting closely.
    At this point, a nautilus bun is formed and it can stay solid without any props, or you can add a hairstick for more security.
    And to make the Artemis bun, I just need to hold the bun with both hands and turn it clockwise (I'm right-handed and that's the way I wrapped the hair ends) for another 90 degrees to tighten the bun, insert the tip of the stick from the top loop, touch the scalp, slide it across the pony base and poke it out through the bottom, the stick can be vertical or slightly diagonal depending on your preference.

Higher definition close-ups on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ckahx7kL...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    Crosspost to Hairstyle of the Month: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3962067
    Last edited by tuanyiji; November 1st, 2022 at 05:55 AM.

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

This is my second assignment for LHC’s ABC Hairstyle Challenge, Bee Butt Bun.

First I gathered my hair into a pony in the center back of my head without a tie, then I started to twist the hair round and round like what you’d do with a cinnamon bun, clockwise or counterclockwise doesn’t matter, just do it as you please. Unlike a cinnamon bun, the coils of this are wrapped behind each other. I tried to use a stick for the first time, but it loosened too soon, so I used two hairpins on the base instead. Too bad I couldn’t find my yellow top to get a more bee vibe, I had to make do with my red satin pajama. I wouldn’t do cardio wearing this bun as it’s not stable enough, but it’s a fun experiment.

Higher definition close-ups on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj-E-qyL...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is a quick and easy variation of the aforementioned Bee Butt Bun (my second assignment for LHC’s ABC Hairstyle Challenge), as the bee butt was not completely fixed on my scalp, and for my gym workout, I needed to stabilize it somehow. Thanks to JJJ’s comment on Long Hair Carolyn’s tutorial video, I ended up flipping it up and pinned it with a single hair stick as a Lifted Coil, which is way more secure, thanks.

In theory, if I start the pony on the top crown of my head, I can fix the end of the bee butt with a stick, in the same vine, I can start the pony on the left or right side, and pin the bee butt horizontal or vertically, and the longer my hair is, the more interesting it will look, maybe I can even bend the bee butt a little to fix a J shape, ah, the long hair possibilities!

I will probably find another L style when I come to do the L letter of the ABC challenge, the more the merrier.

Higher definition close-ups on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj-JnmMr...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    Crosspost to Style of the Month: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...=1#post3962068
    Last edited by tuanyiji; November 6th, 2022 at 09:02 AM.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    W - Warrior braid.
    Three years later and I still have z left Time to finnish this, but what should I do for z?

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights