View Poll Results: How many hours do you keep one bun for?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 4 hours

9 8.11%
  • 4-6 hours

20 18.02%
  • 6-8 hours

18 16.22%
  • 8-10 hours

20 18.02%
  • 10-12 hours

18 16.22%
  • 12+ hours

46 41.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How many hours do you bun?

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: How many hours do you bun?

Usually all day long.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    None/HL/FL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

24 hours. I do my hair only once for each day.

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My gut feeling says max. 8-10 hours.

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Usually like 12 hours but I can seldom get buns to stay without slipping throughout the day so I often have to redo them.

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Two hours tops before I must take this thing off my head. My scalp has become ridiculously sensitive over the past couple of years, I can't wear buns at all, not even with a french braid to evenly distribute the weight of my hair. Same goes with ponytails, there's no way I'm wearing it for longer than a couple of hours. Maybe it's partly psychological, I'm scared to death of traction alopecia, so for me aching scalp equals "omg I'm going bald" panic.

I used to be able to wear buns for an entire day. They're a life-saver in the summer when I want my hair to be up and off of my slathered in greasy sunscreen neck and back.

I'm still to figure out what to do during summers and deep oil treatments that last for 5+ hours.
    I'd like to give an update on this:

My ridiculous scalp sensitivity was caused by fungal overgrowth due to not washing my scalp properly. Co-washing and low shampoo wasn't cleansing enough, who could have guessed. Switching to sulfate shampoos and exfoliating my scalp regularly helped me combat this issue and now I'm proud to say that I can bun for 12+ hours if I do my bun correctly and nothing pulls. I've been wearing my hair up pretty much all the time since October (about 7 months now), my ends are super grateful and I'm super excited to be able to eliminate mechanical damage and have a chance to grow my hair as quickly as possible.

I wear a braid to bed and I sometimes leave my hair down when I'm at home just to give my scalp a break, but other than that it's up.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Granny View Post
    I only bun my hair when I want braid waves, to tame the 'post shampoo poof', or to get it off my neck in Summer heat = 6-8 hours

Once up it is usually secure, but by evening I need to give my scalp a rest and enjoy a low/loose/comfy ponytail; I cannot sleep with buns either (sensitive scalp).
    1 year later the same answer stands

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

All day. My hair is done for the day and I prefer to not touch it again. My scalp is fine with bun all day long.

Length
    8"/12"/termi
    Type
    1a/F/i

Hello,

My bun tolerance completely depends on placement. If it is a high bun placed just at the crown, then I can leave it in for a couple days even, (including sleeping.)

However, if it is a low bun, (as required by my former employer,) than I had a very hard time being comfortable beyond 8-10 hours. Although I had to wear it for over 13 on shift.

Jen

Length
    8"/12"/termi
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I'd like to give an update on this:

My ridiculous scalp sensitivity was caused by fungal overgrowth due to not washing my scalp properly. Co-washing and low shampoo wasn't cleansing enough, who could have guessed. Switching to sulfate shampoos and exfoliating my scalp regularly helped me combat this issue and now I'm proud to say that I can bun for 12+ hours if I do my bun correctly and nothing pulls. I've been wearing my hair up pretty much all the time since October (about 7 months now), my ends are super grateful and I'm super excited to be able to eliminate mechanical damage and have a chance to grow my hair as quickly as possible.

I wear a braid to bed and I sometimes leave my hair down when I'm at home just to give my scalp a break, but other than that it's up.
    Thank you SO much for this updated post! I felt that CO washing may have cause some residual effects for me sometimes.
    Jen

Usually I bun it around 8 to 10 hours a day, not consecutively because I wear hijab every day and here in Indonesia, the weather is very humid so in the afternoon usually I let my hair down for one until two hours before I bun it again And I let it down again in the evening after I go home