View Poll Results: How many hours do you keep one bun for?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • less than 4 hours

9 8.11%
  • 4-6 hours

20 18.02%
  • 6-8 hours

18 16.22%
  • 8-10 hours

20 18.02%
  • 10-12 hours

18 16.22%
  • 12+ hours

46 41.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How many hours do you bun?

Length
    SL/FTL/knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: How many hours do you bun?

I wear it up when I'm out and have it down in a braid most of the time I'm home unless I'm exercising, cooking, or sewing. This usually works out to ~6-8 hours for one bun. I don't usually mess with the buns once they're up unless I misjudged tension. I don't find buns as comfortable as braids though so I take them down as soon as I can get comfy in the evenings and I often only braid my hair on the weekend.

SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ WL ~ HL~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ FTL ~ KL

Length
    10/37/70+
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I can honestly only bun for a couple hours at a time before the weight of my hair starts to hurt me. I wore my hair up in a high bun with a ficcare all day once and when I took it out my scalp was super tender to the touch. I didn’t even notice how sore it was until I let the bun down, I thought I finally was able to wear a bun all day like you folks lol
    I had to wear my hair loose for like 3 days after that until my scalp stopped feeling bruised. I’ve always been tender headed though

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I can honestly only bun for a couple hours at a time before the weight of my hair starts to hurt me. I wore my hair up in a high bun with a ficcare all day once and when I took it out my scalp was super tender to the touch. I didn’t even notice how sore it was until I let the bun down, I thought I finally was able to wear a bun all day like you folks lol
    I had to wear my hair loose for like 3 days after that until my scalp stopped feeling bruised. I’ve always been tender headed though
    A lot of us who aren't usually tenderheaded also find that bunning in a very different spot from usual hurts, and it hurts far more afterwards than while in the bun! I can have my hair in the same bun in the same spot literally 24/7 but if I do a very high bun then my scalp will feel it for the next day or so after taking it down.

Have you seen the hairstyle thesaurus? You might find some inspiration there for styles that distribute the weight better than single buns
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Crap, I just saw this and realized I've had my hair up in a very high bun like, alllll day. That's gonna hurt when I take it down. Crap.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    10/37/70+
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    A lot of us who aren't usually tenderheaded also find that bunning in a very different spot from usual hurts, and it hurts far more afterwards than while in the bun! I can have my hair in the same bun in the same spot literally 24/7 but if I do a very high bun then my scalp will feel it for the next day or so after taking it down.

Have you seen the hairstyle thesaurus? You might find some inspiration there for styles that distribute the weight better than single buns
    I have definitely been practicing the different buns. Only the lowest buns down on my neck don’t stress my scalp from the weight, but after a couple hours I get annoyed at feeling the bun on my neck.

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Depends on the type of bun for me. I haven't "trained" my scalp to be comfortable with high buns (and honestly, don't love how they look on me), so higher buns I can only tolerate for a few hours. I usually bun right in the middle, and nowadays I can go between 8-10 hours comfortably, longer if it's a bunned French braid (my go-to).

When I first started wearing my hair up again after starting to grow it out, I could hardly go 30 minutes with it half up it took a long time to adapt!

Gimmee all the goats!!! GoatLady's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Most of my waking hours.

Hurray! I've reached tailbone length! Last trim 1-2-23.
    Lady Roxanne,Keeper of the Caprines 🐐in the order of the Long Haired Knights.