Thread: April 2018: Bantu Knots and Curls

The Cheery Raggamuffin AutobotsAttack's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/37in/FTL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: April 2018: Bantu Knots and Curls

Aww thanks guys!

I should echo what sarahlabyrinth said. The one closest to my ear on the right ride was extremely tangled during the take down. You can see in the first photo how it’s kind of messy looking. There was one gnarly SS knot that I snipped off. Was only 1-3 hairs, but still. I used a serum to get most of the tangle out though.
    "What a tragedy it will it be, to get to Heaven and realize that God was not the slightest bit against you, but 100% for you. Rouge Wanderer. Enforcer of Justice of the Long Haired Knights. EL~NL~SL~APL~BS~MBL~WL~HPL~BCL~TBL~Classic

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

I will pass again on this one...but more power to those who ca do it.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Where the eagle and the raven fly free.........
    Length
    MBL/CL/MTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    Just a warning, if you have very long hair, these knots can cause bad tangles. I believe Torrinpaige had to cut several inches after trying these.
    I want to try this so badly but this is my concern! My hair tangles SO easily. Wonder if I can just get away with doing a handful of bigger knots...

@VAredhel
    hair thickness: 3.35" (8.5 cm) | length: 41" (104 cm)
    Lady Flidais, Guardian of the Woodland Creatures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/CBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
    I want to try this so badly but this is my concern! My hair tangles SO easily. Wonder if I can just get away with doing a handful of bigger knots...
    You totally can, I have done this several time. I make a "mohawk" of knots that I sleep in. My hair also tangles easily, and as long as I am careful when loosening them up, it's no problem at all. My biggest tip is, when loosening up the ends, to hold on to the hair a bit higher up, and twist the end the opposite way of the original twist, slowly and carefully. And then you can work on the rest of the length.

June 2018: Cut back to CBL, back to growing!

Length
    27.5"/35"/36"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    I will pass again on this one...but more power to those who ca do it.
    Had to quote you because in all honesty, I have done these before and with my hair it came out so tangled I lost LOTS of hair detangling. This was before LHC days, but I remember specifically that I would never ever do this again.

SO I will also be passing, but I will do ONE knot, aka a cinnabun this month instead
    I can't even tho...

Length
    15/52/54+?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PixieP View Post
    You totally can, I have done this several time. I make a "mohawk" of knots that I sleep in. My hair also tangles easily, and as long as I am careful when loosening them up, it's no problem at all. My biggest tip is, when loosening up the ends, to hold on to the hair a bit higher up, and twist the end the opposite way of the original twist, slowly and carefully. And then you can work on the rest of the length.
    Now I want to try it, as I'm currently trying heatless curling methods for my wedding hairdo. The "mohawk" sounds like a really good idea, and the buns themselves are pretty similar to a type of bun that I often do, and can undo easily.

Length
    MBL/TBL/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Cocoon curls are a good heatless curl method if you guys want an alternative! There are tutorials on youtube, I've done them dozens of times and never had tangle issues.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Because my hair is long and average thickness I knew this would make very TALL Bantu Knots. So, I figured I'd want to lay them down. And when I picked Fauxhawk for my F in the ABC challenge, this immediately popped into my head. I also used a little trick from Hypnotica to half my length, reducing the height of each knot.

Last edited by neko_kawaii; May 6th, 2018 at 09:03 AM.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*