Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuff that might make your hair fall out.

Length
    13/36/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Default Stuff that might make your hair fall out.

Because we’re putting fun stuff on our head a lot, I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for things that studies have linked to hair loss!

My first contribution:

Passionflower. A powerful aromatase inhibitor —which are known to induce pattern baldness in women. Ouch. Wouldn’t drink it, either. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...lora+aromatase

Ginger topically also can cause hair loss, but should be fine in food: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...%20hair%20loss
    My growing thread on thin hair - Cut: Sept/Oct '16 - ~25" - 30" MBL - 32" WL - 34" Hips - 37” TBL | Thickness @pony: 2.5" 2/17 - 3” 4/18” - 4.13” 3/18 Thickness @BSL: <.75" 3/17 - 7/8” 4/18 - 1.5” 3/18

Length
    SL/WL/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Stuff that might make your hair fall out.

Ouch, so...never fully trust youtube vids if you haven't done your homework.
    Thanks for posting this!
    YouTube is full!
    Here's one of the vids that reccomends ginger to cure baldness:
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TL-CL

Length
    13/36/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Well, half of YouTube is going to tell you to put baking soda on your hair still!!! That won’t make your hair literally fall out at the root, but it will trash your hair pretty effectively. And lemon juice and honey are other favorites that at best aren’t going to help your hair and could really mess it up.

Vinegar’s fine, though, and beneficial if your pH is above 6, which it is in most places.

Here’s an old wives tale possibly confirmed: Tomatoes might actually promote hair growth topically. Who knows which bit, though. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24397881/

Weirdest discovery I’ve made is that fennel and anise probably actually will make your breasts grow bigger without giving you cancer. Also good on hair.
    Last edited by Reyesuela; April 2nd, 2018 at 11:03 AM.
    My growing thread on thin hair - Cut: Sept/Oct '16 - ~25" - 30" MBL - 32" WL - 34" Hips - 37” TBL | Thickness @pony: 2.5" 2/17 - 3” 4/18” - 4.13” 3/18 Thickness @BSL: <.75" 3/17 - 7/8” 4/18 - 1.5” 3/18

Length
    SL/WL/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Growing tomatoes myself, so I have lots in the summer. Good to know, will read.
    Hope grapefruit juice is gentler to the hair though, it's what mainly goes inside my henna mix.
    Last edited by zanelle; April 2nd, 2018 at 11:10 AM.
    SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TL-CL

Length
    13/36/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

A limited amount of lemon juice just to release henna isn’t going to cause measurable issues, but I’ll be using ascorbic acid next time probably.

Just don’t sit out in the sun with citrus juice on.

Length
    13/36/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Capsaicin will also make your hair fall out if there’s much in your mix: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...0hair%20growth This is added as much as ginger!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There probably isn't a study out there, but plenty of LHC'ers have had the *experience* of losing more hair (some here even lost half their circumference) to using conditioner or an oil on the scalp.

No clue why it happens, but it happens for me too. I have had the experience with a pre-poo oil (back when I was still experimenting) and with CO-washing.

These aren't just hairs that would have come out anyway, this is actual hair loss that can lead to thinning.

Even though there is no real "evidence" out there; I would still be cautious.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

This thread is a brilliant idea

Length
    SL/FTL+/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Stress is a good one

Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of Long Haired Knights
    {aka that witchy duck lady}

Type
    1c/M/ii

Oil on my scalp!! I shed like crazy! did not realize that was the cause until i started reading here!
    currently bcl abt 3.7 thickness