Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hard water waxiness - how to get rid of it

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Default Re: Hard water waxiness - how to get rid of it

I did a quick calculation based on Chromis' link with info on my area. I have "very soft" water according to lapushka's scale.

Though this scale calls it "slightly hard" : https://www.wqa.org/learn-about-wate...scale-deposits

Interesting how things are labeled differently in different places.

The official range for the city is 17-118 mg/L calcium carbonate. My area is in the lower range of that. Calcium for the city is a 5 - 30 mg/L range.

We have 90 year old pipes though, copper ones. So we have probably more copper than usual in our water, depending on how old the building is.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I think old deposits in old pipes can throw the levels a little from what the water has when taken from the collection point, and what it's like when it comes out of your fossets.

Tomorrow, I'l have another go at removing the buildup. It's mostly concentrated at the "pony tail" point, if that makes sence. My rye flour fermentation is happily bubbling away... it has now reach a point when it actually is starting to smell like something that might be nice to drink in a odd kind of "this must be a new beer, let's try it"-way. I've added a little bit of oats to it as well, hoping for a more natural way to make it more milky. The organic rye flour I'm using doesn't have much that comes through the sieve, and the bran flakes are horrible to get in the hair. The flakes won't even work as a scrub, so the fermented "water" is all I'll be using. I will once again, mix it with some katam for the scalp scrub. It's funny how the fermented rye water turns the katam into a lovely shade of blue almost instantly when mixed. I might add a bit of my old henna (almost used up now, YEAH!) to make it more blackish. The magic water, that I'll make stronger this time, will most likely strip away some of the dye, so adding a bit seems like a good idea.

I'm hoping this works out, because even though I'm not really allergic to anything as far as I know, the way the no-poo has helped my scalp makes me think that if I get this right, it might help those who can't use harsher shampoos and have problem with buildup because of that.

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

New York city hardness average was about 1.5 grains/gallon (CaCO3) in 2017.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    15,7/18,11/28
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I have been nopoo for over a year now.
    I usualy like washing with sifted fine ryeflour made to mud or use the water from ryeflour that has been sitting in water for some hours and been run through a cloth.
    I always put acv+water mix in the hair afterwords, let it sit 3-5 minutes, and then rinse with icecold water (or not rinse at all).
    When I have washed my hair with rye for 2-3 weeks I get a waxy buildup, and only yolk can take the wax away. It's fine, but it tends to make my ends a bit dry and the hair a little fluffy in an uncontrolable way.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

So... results from yesterday's wash.

I did double strenght magic water. I added some henna and katam to my fermented rye flour water. I did a strong black tea as a final rinse.

Positive: The colour didn't fade any more than from regular washing. I found that I could pour the magic water over my head turned upside down and into the failry small bowl I'm using.
    Negative: Still waxy, but more evenly distributed.

Next time: Do tripple strenght magic water, save some for final rinse. Add cocoa powder as a scrub to the fermented rye flour water, in case henna and katam adds to the waxyness.

So, for now, I will let my hair dry fully (it's in a bun right now) and add coconut oil and use my denman brush to remove some of the wax and the ropyness of my hair. Wearing it down today would have been impossible. It will be another week of unhappy hair, but each failure is one step closer to a sollution, right?

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

So, I did another atempt at getting rid of the wax.
    I made extra strong magic water: 1litre water, 1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid, 1/2 teaspoon citric acid. I saved some for a last rinse, and added some cocoa powder to the first rinse, to see if it would absorb some of the waqxy buildup.
    I made a 'poo mix of my rye flour and oats fermented brew and some homemade whey.
    I used a bit of table salt as a scalp scrub.

Result: The magic water was a bit too strong. It did lift some of my hair dye. Not much, but enough to lighten it where my grey is most prominent. Didn't turn it grey though.
    Some of the gunk is gone, but not all. I could feel it still being there as I rinsed out my 'poo mix. The 'poo mix was too watery, and was more like a rinse than a 'poo. Pity, since it was pretty nice otherwise. This meant that I didn't keep it in my hair as long as I would have wanted.
    Using the last magic water as a leavin rinse felt odd. I was afraid it might be too acidy (it was, but not too damaging), and made sure to transfer as much as possible to my towel.
    My hair is flat. It isn't as ropey as last week. I haven't brushed it through, just did my top hair to make the bun look OK. It feels a bit dry. It looked a bit oily shiny from the wax, but doesn't feel oily.

Next week I'll make a more gentle magic water, skip the cocoa powder, and mix my fermented rye flour with some chickpea flour and let that ferment for a few days. I think that the acid is lifting the hardwater wax, but then it settles on the hair again because there is nothing else to attach to. That's wher I think the chickpea flour will help. The salt was too hard, so I will use powdered neem or mabe cinnamon as a scrub instead. I like those better.

Length
    0"/35"/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but have you tried bentonite clay? It's what I use when I start getting that waxy feel and it always takes care of it wonderfully for me. This thread is the one that made me try it in the first place if you're interested. Though unlike the recipe in that thread I've never used it with salt and I only ever leave it on for five minutes or so. I also follow it with a shampooing (I use a non sulphate one) and a fermented rice water soak. I'm not sure either of those are necessary, but what I do know is my hair comes out feeling amazing and I'm always surprised at just how much lighter it feels.

I don't know that any of this will be useful to you, it does sound like you're making progress on your own. I just figure having information is always good.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by patches View Post
    I think I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but have you tried bentonite clay? It's what I use when I start getting that waxy feel and it always takes care of it wonderfully for me. This thread is the one that made me try it in the first place if you're interested. Though unlike the recipe in that thread I've never used it with salt and I only ever leave it on for five minutes or so. I also follow it with a shampooing (I use a non sulphate one) and a fermented rice water soak. I'm not sure either of those are necessary, but what I do know is my hair comes out feeling amazing and I'm always surprised at just how much lighter it feels.

I don't know that any of this will be useful to you, it does sound like you're making progress on your own. I just figure having information is always good.
    I haven't tried any clay washing yet, but I will read the thread and follow your suggestion, patches. You can nebver have too much info in a case like this.

I brushed through my hair last night, having added a little Dabur Vatica coconut oil to help detangle, and I found less waxyness in my hair this time so it did work to some extent. I'm on the right track.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I don't think bentonite clay works in hard water. I tried some mixed with AVC and water, and even though it felt OK in my hair, when I started rinsing, I could feel the buildup on my hair. It also left my ends very dry.
    I had left some chickpea flour to ferment in with my rye flour brew in my 'poo bottle. I didn't use enough chickpea flour, but it did help clean away some of the buildup I felt from the clay.
    I rinsed my hair after I got my 'poo out with some double strength miracle water and orange blossom water.
    I wrapped my hair in a towel and waited a while. My hair didn't feel as coated as before, and now that it's fully dry and I have used coconut oil on it, I can say that most of that waxy buildup is now gone... to what price, I'm not sure yet.

I miss my volume... my hair when it's washed is now plastered to my scalp every which way. Sebum or buildup, who knows... but I don't like it.

So, so far, I have found that acid will remove the buildup if you use something for it to attach to instead of your hair. Chikpea flour is one thing, a towel is another.

Length
    13/36/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Could they possibly sell EDTA as a powder? So you could dissolve it in water and rinse (and perhaps scritch) your hair with it.
    Yes, they do. I have some. Application rate is .2%—I wouldn’t ever use much.
    Making cosmetics probably has it. Or lotion crafters.

Why not measure your water’s pH so you know how much acid to add instead of guessing?
    Last edited by Reyesuela; April 2nd, 2018 at 02:53 AM.
    My growing thread on thin hair - Cut: Sept/Oct '16 - ~25" - 30" MBL - 32" WL - 34" Hips - 37 TBL | Thickness @pony: 2.5" 2/17 - 3 4/18 - 4.13 3/18 Thickness @BSL: <.75" 3/17 - 7/8 4/18 - 1.5 3/18