Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about microtrimming to achieve an even hemline.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    SL/WL/HL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Questions about microtrimming to achieve an even hemline.

I've been trying to grow out my hair for several years, but kept getting stuck around BSL because different sections of my hair grow so unevenly. I held off of trimming for a longgg time and now the longest section is brushing WL (my first goal!), but my hemline is becoming increasingly V-shaped. The front sections are much curlier and grow slowly/break off more often (and I still haven't found the culprit - I wear it down 3-4 days a week, but use several different protective styles on the other 3-4 days; I use a silk scarf for sleeping; I don't brush when wet, etc.), while the back third of my hair grows quickly and is straighter and smoother - which makes it look even longer.
    Here's a photo for reference:

And now my questions:
    - When you microtrim, do you just do it straight across the longest layer of your hair (this is what I've been doing)? And if so, what about the shorter sections/layers of hair - don't they end up splitting or breaking more often because they're never subjected to the microtrim? I also do S&D about once a month, but I don't see much improvement in the front sections.
    - Would I be better off just trimming an inch or so off of the back/longest section so that my hemline is more even, or should I stay the course and even it out when more of it is closer to WL? For years I made the mistake of cutting all of the faster growing hair because it looked uneven, but that just kept setting me back from my goal and I'm scared to lose so much length again.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Questions about microtrimming to achieve an even hemline.

honestly the V shape is SO pretty in your hair!

When I microtrim, I just do the very bottom, so yes I guess only the fast growing hair are getting regularly trimmed, but I've never really thought of it and hasn't seemed to cause a problem! I only s&d very rarely now that I'm rid of heat damaged hair that needed it badly. I guess my main goal in microtrimming is to keep the ends thick, so I definitely don't try to trim shorter layers other than sparingly s&d ing

That's a toughie on what to suggest.. I think if I were you I'd keep micro trimming a couple millimetres every month because it definitely makes a difference, try growing an inch past waist, cut back an inch to waist and see where that leaves you your hair is beautiful, no matter what you do I'm sure it'll look great!!
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Oops!
    I do microtrims every month or every 2 months. Microtrims means few mm.
    I don't do:
    Point cutting
    Thinning with shear scissors
    Layers on u-shape or v-shape
    Trim when wet or frizzy
    In a hurry
    Or trust someone else to do it
    Use enhancing creams and co.
    Last edited by leayellena; February 28th, 2018 at 02:19 AM.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I can't help with the microtrimming situation as I very rarely trim at all, but just wanted to stop by to say your hair is stunning! I'm not a fan of V hemlines generally, and I can understand your frustration with it, but wow! It looks gorgeous on your hair!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Account Closed by Member Request

Microtrim the longest layer and s&d the shortest so they can catch up. Your v line and your hair are stunning!

Length
    bob/MB/WL
    Type
    3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ligeia Noire View Post
    Microtrim the longest layer and s&d the shortest so they can catch up. Your v line and your hair are stunning!
    Wholeheartedly agree! My hair is a similar texture and the back grows faster than the front on my head too. It is frustrating and I have to be extremely careful with the front so that it can hang on and grow.

Lady Tangocurl of the Scepter-Twined Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.
    Currently BSL in the back when stretched, and a couple inches shy of BSL in the front. Very basic 3a. No cones. No heat styling.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I love the V shape of your hair, too, but yes - the idea is to trim just a bit from the longest area on a regular basis.

When I was first growing out my hair (I grew out to classic length, then cut back), I went to a stylist about every 6-8 weeks. What she would do is trim just the very tips of my layers, say 1/8 to 1/4 inch, then a little more off the length, maybe 1/2 inch. I wanted to slowly grow out the layers without them getting raggedy and damaged, so this was her solution. It worked very well but took more than a year to even everything out. That was all right with me.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Maybe check out the microtrimming thread; I'm sure it is full of tips & tricks, and it's there where you learn.

I think the shape is pretty. If there's no splits or white dots, I'd just continue to grow it, TBH.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    20/26/33
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by christib13 View Post
    I've been trying to grow out my hair for several years, but kept getting stuck around BSL because different sections of my hair grow so unevenly. I held off of trimming for a longgg time and now the longest section is brushing WL (my first goal!), but my hemline is becoming increasingly V-shaped. The front sections are much curlier and grow slowly/break off more often (and I still haven't found the culprit - I wear it down 3-4 days a week, but use several different protective styles on the other 3-4 days; I use a silk scarf for sleeping; I don't brush when wet, etc.), while the back third of my hair grows quickly and is straighter and smoother - which makes it look even longer.
    Here's a photo for reference:

And now my questions:
    - When you microtrim, do you just do it straight across the longest layer of your hair (this is what I've been doing)? And if so, what about the shorter sections/layers of hair - don't they end up splitting or breaking more often because they're never subjected to the microtrim? I also do S&D about once a month, but I don't see much improvement in the front sections.
    - Would I be better off just trimming an inch or so off of the back/longest section so that my hemline is more even, or should I stay the course and even it out when more of it is closer to WL? For years I made the mistake of cutting all of the faster growing hair because it looked uneven, but that just kept setting me back from my goal and I'm scared to lose so much length again.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!
    I do think that it looks pretty, but here it is. I have the exact opposite - my sides are longer and more straight, and my back curls up.

- I do both; I do a general microtrim, and then if needed, I do some s&d. I usually try to cut more from parts that are longer, because I would like to even it out as much as possible.
    - What worked really well for me was this - trim everything to the length you want. Meaning - I wanted it to be BSL, so I kept trimming everything under BSL. So I would say Leave your longest layer as long as waist, and keep trimming it back to waist when it grows over it. Did I make any sense?
    Neck length 44cm -> APL 55 cm -> BSL 68cm -> Waist 85cm-> Hip 90cm -> BCL 96cm

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

When I microtrim I cut evenly all across the entire hem and have done for at least two years. But my straight hair choices might not suit you.