View Poll Results: Would you Dare to tease / back comb your hair?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never Ever Ever!

92 78.63%
  • Um I'd maybe let the hairdresser do it once, for a one off amazing updo.

13 11.11%
  • I'd have a crack on occasion, if experimenting with a new style.

9 7.69%
  • Tease me, tease me, tease me baby. Til I lose control

3 2.56%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you tease / backcomb your hair?

Length
    2/22?/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Would you tease / backcomb your hair?

Would you ever backcomb / tease your hair?

Quite often I look at hair style vids on youtube.
    I have seen some gothy teenagers with amazing long dyed / bleached layered choppy mullety hair, full of volume with sweeping side fringe. (Think anime characters)
    They show you how they wash, then dry, then straighten and then backcomb, backcomb, backcomb & smother in hairspray, then magically brush the top & smooth & neaten it all and then more hair spray.

The backcombing especially, makes my eyes water – gaaah! What are you doing to your lovely hair?!
    But the style at the end is cool.

I guess they are young so they probably have really strong hair to start off with and plenty of time to grow it out.

But I have seen other videos of grownups showing you how to do styles – I watched a how to get a topknot in a grown out pixie and I’ve seen proper professional hairdresser vids where they are giving someone a 50s Bouffant or Marilyn curls & always with the teasing.

I have tried on occasion to emulate these styles but I am clearly not a professional teaser – I get a few knotted matted bits & broken hair, with wonky / no volume or shape – so I gave up trying to do that because seriously brushing your hair backwards must totally wreck it?!
    Last edited by OhSuzi; November 15th, 2016 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Because I am an anal and always notice my mistakes 2 seconds after posting.
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Would you tease / backcomb your hair?

If it gets to classic length, you can't tease it that well without causing major damage. Shorter hair? By all means, go right ahead, but this length. I'd say no.

My mom has i/ii hair (more on the i side lately) and she does backcomb, but her hair is between shoulder & APL, so it's fine. And she puts it in curlers after washing (to airdry), so yeah... old habits die hard. She actually needs to tease it a bit for volume, it is that babyfine. Plus, she's from (grew up in) the 60s, so...
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I grew up in the 80's and did a lot of back combing and yes, it was damaging. I would never do it now. If you need a little bump for a style, there are plenty of accessories that create that look without the damage.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Never! I did it a few times when my hair was short, years ago, but never, ever again! I'm trying to avoid alomst all things that can harm my hair

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    3a/M/i/ii

I wouldnt. Even if I didnt care about growing it longer, I think it looks bad!
    3/9/2015 decided to grow out gray Cut to pixie: 3/9/2015 BSL 4/2018, Cut to shoulder 6/2021. Started coloring again 2018. Currently growing out & going back to gray Goal length: waist+

Length
    27.5"/35"/36"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Just for laughs, did you know that the edwardian era women would KEEP their hairs that fell out and keep them all balled up in a jar on their vanity, and use them under the hair they wanted lifted to bring the hair up? LOL It is funny, but still way smarter than backcombing!

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I never backcombed and I don't think that I'll ever do it.
    If my hair would be short maybe I would blow out instead of teasing.

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Strands View Post
    Just for laughs, did you know that the edwardian era women would KEEP their hairs that fell out and keep them all balled up in a jar on their vanity, and use them under the hair they wanted lifted to bring the hair up? LOL It is funny, but still way smarter than backcombing!
    Not just Edwardian women. I've made several rats with sheds, in different configurations and sizes.

I would never deliberately tangle my hair by backcombing.

Complex creature

Quote Originally Posted by Strands View Post
    My grand-mother - who was a Swiss mountain farmer - has been doing this all her life, lol. She had thin hair and loved big buns !^^ I remember when I looked at her combing her untrimmed sleek dark TBL hair : she would put a pad of hair in her bun to make it look thicker and say : if somebody asks if that hair is all mine, I will say yes ! She collected her shed hair all the time to make new pads.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Not unless I was planning on cutting off a lot in the near future. Then, maybe, for the right thing. Generally, though, I'd opt not to simply because I wouldn't want to go through the misery of untangling it again.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!