256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Easier

158 61.72%
  • Harder

49 19.14%
  • The same

49 19.14%
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Is longer hair easier or harder to care for?

Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Is longer hair easier or harder to care for?

I have curly hair and when it was shorter I had to take extra care to make sure bits and pieces didn't stick out. My hair also likes to poof out and it took until waist length for it to have enough weight to stay down. Now that I don't have to "style" my curls, hair care is much easier. I also need to wash it less since I'm not using as many products.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    What works for my hair

Length
    Jaw/SL/Waist
    Type
    2c/M/iii

For me, day-to-day styling is far easier with long hair, but washing and drying takes a bit more time.

I find it harder, so many tangles. Trying to get into the habit of putting it up.. long hair just looks so nice loose.

Length
    Ear/MBL/Class
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I was pretty fortunate as a short hair to have waves that looked like I heat styled my hair, so in the morning I would just reset the waves with a spray bottle and venture out--a 15 second styling routine. I pretty much never had to detangle when my hair was chin length. So in that sense, on the day to day, it was easier. However, it had to be trimmed every six weeks like clockwork, and I actually trimmed it myself because I was a broke college student. That was a several-hours task that always ended with aching arms and strained eyes from looking at the back of my head via a combination of two mirrors and it was never really even, ha. Didn't matter much because of aforementioned wavy texture, but still.

I think, on the whole, my long hair is harder to care for, just because it's somewhat fragile so I have to be conscious of tangles and breakage when I'm handling it. But I also enjoy the process of caring for it, so
    dec '18 ear > dec '21 MBL > dec '22 waist > dec '24 classic

Length
    ?/53"/TERM!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Long hair is easier! Wash, condition, comb and done!

When I had short hair, it got all wavy in an uneven way and waves would stick out the wrong way. I felt I had eternal bed head. There wasn't much to do with it (but I thought I'd be able to do more with it since there are a lot of short haired people hairstyles, but it still didn't work for mine because it's thin and I'm just not a big "put product in my hair, blow dry, style" kind of person). It was always in my face, too. The people I know with short hair always have to get it cut and that looks like a pain. So I rest my case, long hair is much easier

Length
    chin/bcl/tbl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

When I had short hair, it either looked (a) incredible, the most fabulous, or (b) absolutely terrible, requiring lots of styling and let's be real I am not that person.

Up until waist, I still had some bad hair days. Post waist: I have not had a single one. Yes, it takes longer to wash than it used to and yes, not ever using heat means it takes longer to dry, but damn. It is worth it to have no bad hair days (or at least: no days where my hair can't easily be coaxed into looking good in one bun or another).
    artist, lover, general mystic ☽︎ gently growing towards tbl

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/40.5"/47"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I last answered at about APL, and thought I'd think about it again and see if my answer has changed! It hasn't, really. I've always been mega low maintenance with stuff due to having generally low energy most of the time. When I had a pixie I never styled it, just went with a bedhead look all the time. And now I again never really do anything with it besides a LWB or chameleon and then forget it exists I put more work in, technically, with very long hair, but it's all extra curricular. The base care of my hair hasn't gotten any more difficult or easier.
    SL~~~CBL~~~APL~~~BSL~~~WL~~~Hip~~~BCL~~~TBL~~~Classic~~~FTL
    (Hit FTL mid-May of 2022, trimmed back to TBL on 5/20/2022)
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    34"/44"/48"
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Is longer hair easier or harder to care fot

I voted easier and have always felt this way. I remember a conversation with my coworkers about 20 years ago on just this topic and they were aghast that I thought it was easier. After pointing out that I didn't blow-fry, use a curling iron, mousse, curlers, go to the salon, or constantly have my hair in my face (at that time it was usually loose, ponytailed, or braided and always air dryed), they had a new perspective.
    Imagine whirled peas
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Washing and oiling takes a tad longer, BUT I can stretch washes by just wearing hair in Dutch or French braids that hide the greasiness (you can argue that shorties can use dry shampoo, but it's just another item to spend money on, and also dry shampoos are bad for hair). Also I don't have to spend money on regular cuts and trims, and if I'm having a bad hair day I just - you guessed it! - braid my hair. I'm not afraid of windy or rainy days ruining my style. Looking at how much time and effort my pixied friends spend on their hair, yeah, I'd say long hair is way easier.
    I posted it 4 years ago, and whilst my general opinions are the same (except for stretching washes - Joules, please, never stretch washes!!!), I'd like to add one point:

What is considered long and short hair?

Because if we're comparing pixies and bobs to bra strap or waist length, longer is definitely easier. If we're comparing bra strap length to tailbone or longer - well, tailbone is definitely more difficult. Not by much, but still.

Also, the whole "not having to style it" argument goes out of the window when I remind myself of just how much time I spend in the shower... my Mom with a curly bob can wash and style her hair and have a nice cup of tea (or two) in the time it takes me to just wash my hair. Also sleeping hairstyles were easier at bra strap or waist. I love my hair, I love taking care of it and braiding it and I'm not complaining, but it's still a point to consider.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Shorter hair (SL to APL) has been easier for me. The fact that I can't bun it is super annoying but it's much quicker to wash/condition, and to detangle. I used to be annoyed with my mother for not letting me have long hair as a kid but with my shorter hair now, I don't even have to brush every day. With longer hair, I spent 30 to 45 minutes a day detangling it. Now it's 15 to 20 minutes the day after wash day, and 5 to 10 the days after. Braiding has also been much easier. I also don't have to braid it at night anymore. It doesn't get caught on everything.

But I do very much miss the ease of bunning it, and putting it away.
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.