Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious shedding. Strategies for going forward?

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Serious shedding. Strategies for going forward?

My relocation home to Colorado and some minor heath problems (resolved, it is all good) gave me a pretty radical shed. My hair’s thin now. (Or at least thin to me...#lhcproblems)
    I see new growth, so that is all good.
    but, what can I do to live with the thinness while I wait several years for new growth to catch up?

I cut some damage off. I’m back in the upper thigh area, rather than closing on knee.
    I can be ok with maintaining length, or at least not letting it run as I always have.

I wear buns, braids and braided buns, and occasionally pony scrubs.
    the issue is my perfectionistic streak and the halo of baby hairs.

what options aren’t coming to mind?
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Re: Serious shedding. Strategies for going forward?

Welcome back, TPN!

I am sorry to hear about the shedding. I don't have advice for dealing with baby hairs, but I suspect your hair will be fantastic even as they grow out.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I just used a sample tonite of chagrin soap nuts bar, soap nuts is supposed to prevent hair loss. Also some rinses and herbs do that, I like it might be the fermented rice rinse. Hope this helps
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I have a perfectionist streak, permanently uneven growing/fairytailed hair, and periodic sheds that can get quite bad.

Microtrimming on a very set schedule helps. It helps keep the perfectionist thing with "trim a liiitle more now" away.

Baby hairs, a little oil helps. Or flax seed gel.

I have a permanent chin to collarbone length halo. I cut some strands to match it so it looks like an intentional fringe. That may help temporarily, making some of the new growth a fringe by trimming just little bit of the tips of it. Hopefully for you it's a bit less permanent than more me. I've had this halo since the first shed 10 years ago. I think I'm stuck with it. Yours can be "I'm growing out layers" as it goes through growth.

Another options is developing a temporary style of scarves/tichels. I did that when I was going through tooth implant surgeries (yes plural...). My hair was not a happy thing to look at then but scarves were pretty and I could practice tying them in pretty ways.
    Last edited by mira-chan; January 25th, 2018 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Commas!

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I experienced a bit of shedding the last year of grad school. I’ve found that twists/braids along the front hair line helps contain the whispies.

Like Mira says, scarves are great for covering it all up. I put a scarf on this morning to protect my ears from the cold and it was cute so I left it on most of the day. Square, folded to triangle and then folded into a wide band and tied at nape.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post
    My relocation home to Colorado and some minor heath problems (resolved, it is all good) gave me a pretty radical shed. My hair’s thin now. (Or at least thin to me...#lhcproblems)
    I see new growth, so that is all good.
    but, what can I do to live with the thinness while I wait several years for new growth to catch up?

I cut some damage off. I’m back in the upper thigh area, rather than closing on knee.
    I can be ok with maintaining length, or at least not letting it run as I always have.

I wear buns, braids and braided buns, and occasionally pony scrubs.
    the issue is my perfectionistic streak and the halo of baby hairs.

what options aren’t coming to mind?
    When I went through my "big shed" at age 13/14, I just left it alone. I had a very overgrown pixie at the time (reached my shoulders just about), and I just let it go. I left it alone. Of course it was short, and I had fewer options. It took 2 years to be OK again, and by that time it was shoulder to BSL. I was very happy I'd left it alone at that point.

Maybe maintain thigh? Is that an option? Or let it grow to knee again while the new growth catches up slowly.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

After my big shed, I kept maintaining at a set spot. Knee in my case, midthigh is a bit trickier (find a funny freckle pattern as a landmark?)

It felt like ages, but my hair has eventually thickened back up. It took a good 6 years or so at my length, but I could see the thickness travelling down and now I am actually gaining length again.

I find henna/cassia/sidr/ etc can help a lot with making the new growth behave better although I am too lazy to do this often enough.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Massage
    General intentional self- care

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Thanks all. I could cover, again. My rabbi would be happy.
    Hey, proo, I do about four to five massages a day. Not helping. (Jk, I'm a therapist)
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

If it's just the halo of regrowth, I wonder if a fine net headband might help. If you get or make one in a color similar to your hair it would be effectively invisible while keeping your hairs contained but not gelled. I'm thinking of a hair net sort of very fine mesh.
    I'll say for myself that nothing has helped the halo appearance better than wide headbands and scarves.

As for thinness, parandi can be fun. You can even do both a covering and braiding a scarf into your hair at the same time, if you find one long enough.