Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859

Thread: The Official NW/SO Thread

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyponies View Post
    This week Iíve been looking after a friendís horse.

Heís a big old retired cob. His horse friend died this year and now heís alone. Heís full on shedding and my friend hasnít felt up to giving him much grooming.

So Iíve been giving him ten mins or so grooming all week, and watching all the wax and old hairs come out in waves, and we are finally starting to see a little hint of shine!

Itís like watching NW in practice, really. I keep thinking of you guys as I brush, brush, brush.
    Aww the shedding might be due to stress too. Being a herd animal theyíre affected by others.. Itís common to rehome lonely horses when their pal dies as they donít do well solo. Bet he feels so much better for your care

Quote Originally Posted by Gem View Post
    <3 Poor old guy.
    I got the puppy a Kent baby brush and she is so, so soft. I need to introduce her to baths soon because she needs to be comfortable with them, but I don't expect she'll have them often barring muddy excursions etc. She's so shiny.

I got my nit comb today. It took a lot of pet hair, lint, and sebum out, and that helped the tangling immensely. However, while the comb is seamless, it's a bit rough. That makes sense to have a grabby comb when you're trying to get nits out, but I'm not sure about it for my hair. I ordered a fine-toothed Hairsense comb and I'll compare them.

It occurred to me that part of SO with tools is finding what removes the correct amount of sebum and the correct ratio of oil to wax for your particular hair and your tastes (how dry or oiled you want your hair, how voluminous or shiny, etc). I remember it took awhile to perfect my finger preening technique, and I expect this will take awhile too.

Hopefully this weekend I can do my big chelating, trim, and henna gloss day so I can get back to this with happier hair. I also plan to dye my ends with Arctic Fox dye, which I have found in the past to be non-damaging and pleasant to use. I like having the option to play with color, and I'm curious if this dye will play well with SO. I wouldn't mind shampooing once or twice a year to reapply it, especially if it's just the last few inches of my hair and I don't have to start all over. Previously my hair took a month to return to normal after a shampoo, so I wouldn't want to do it any more than that.
    This is so true. I have found using different tools, or indeed the wrong ones can have a big effect! I donít really do preening with my fingers, just detangling. Never got the hang of it and felt I must yanked my hair so Iím sticking with whatís working for the moment!

Quote Originally Posted by leayellena View Post
    the only thing I love about spring is how my hair behaves. I can extend washes to 2 weeks and I can ns/wo without breaking my either too dry hair in summer or over-washing my scalp because I need to take a hot bath in winter. I don't even need to dampen and oil my hair like I do in summer. due to natural oils my hair has a bit of grip so my braids and buns stay put. in autumn and winter my hair becomes so slippery I can't even.
    I hate the nausea I have in spring though. I'm too sleepy to do something... decent with my life lol
    Sebum is magic for holding braids and buns! My hair tie fell out and my braid was still in tact after a dog walk. I hope the nausea passes for you.

óóó

Had a weird dream last night - dreamt I was shopping for a Denman brush and couldnít find the right one! There were so many but no D7s. In my dream my hair was a mess, really wild ,and I was desperate to find a brush to sort it
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Hi all, checking in after a week of changing my routine. Firstly, TinyPonies, Iím sorry to hear about your friends horse losing his buddy

So, as suggested Iíve been playing around with doing less with my hair. I started the day after my last post, so maybe a bit over a week? The aim has been to only use my wooden comb and my nit comb in my hair. The first few days were bloody hard. I kept touching my scalp, I scritched a bit despite the plan being that I wouldnít. Admittedly less than I had been but I still did it. I also used my bbb one day which decided against using too. I donít want to compare my shedding from those days because I didnít stick with the two comb plan. On Tuesday I think i had slightly less hair lost. On Wednesday, I had soccer training and my hair got super sweaty. I let it out to dry in the car on the way home and very gently separated the strands a bit with my fingers. I used both the wooden comb and my bit comb when I was home and it had dried. I lost so. Much. Hair. So much. At least twice as much as the day before. My hair was in a braid while I was training. I wonder if it tugs while Iím running. I always notice more hair fall on active/exercise days. Since then I have used the nit comb every two nights and when the oil production evens out again will reduce that amount even more if I can. It does help keep my scalp clean though so not sure how far between I could stretch that. The amount of hair when Iím done combing is slightly less than it has been recently but not by much. Tonight, a wooden comb only night, I counted the hairs. 120. About 130 if I include my morning hairs too. By that count Iím assuming Wednesday was 250+ in comparison. Iím going to keep going with this method and see if I see less shedding over time. Hoping thatís the case. Iíve got plenty of short hairs, Iím hoping itís all new growth and not breakage, theyíre getting longer! Sometimes though I do find some of those fine new baby hairs in the pile of shed hairs.

Anyway, Iíll check in again with another update in a while. (Tomorrow is another soccer day so hopefully not as much hair loss as Wednesday!)

Hope everyone is well!

You know, despite my concerns I have been, and I still am, so determined to make this work.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

DancingDinos hopefully the shedding will reduce. When my hair gets super sweaty I leave it until it’s completely dry before detangling or brushing. I usually invert my head and shake my hair loose then put it in a very loose bun for a few hours.
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    14/14/40
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii

Hey everyone! I'm interested in experimenting with this method. My boyfriend does this but he's unaware that there's an online community/thread for it! He really enjoys it and only rinses his hair off about once a week. He says it gets dry the more he rinses it, and I agree with that in my experience as well. Every time I wet my hair I feel the need to lather Aloe vera into it to keep it from drying up, similar to putting lotion on my skin after showering.

He also has wavy 2b hair. My hair, on the other hand, is curly 3b/3c. I'm wondering if anyone with a curlier hair texture that has tried this method for a long period of time would be able to tell me about their experience with it? I've found that using Aloe vera in my hair is a good way to get my curls back if I ever want that look. At the same time, it's just so much more manageable and long when I have it stretched from my English/Dutch braids and it's been dry for a long period of time. Excited to read about any experiences!