Page 58 of 59 FirstFirst ... 84856575859 LastLast

Thread: The Official NW/SO Thread

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

Hi all
    Tomorrow is 14 weeks since I started my SO journey. Itís been easier than I thought in some ways and harder in others. The last few weeks have been all over the place. One week was super dry, the next was super oily and then it seemed to even out a bit. Itís still not quite where I want it but Iíve been trying out different SMP/combing/brushing methods. Iím still worried about hair fall and itís the one thing that makes me think about washing again. Tonight I counted over 150 hairs. I combed and collected all the loose hairs and then I scritched with my fingers and combed again and the amount of hairs that came out shocked me. I donít want to give this up because I love the way my hair feels but Iím just not sure what to do! Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hi ĎDinos congrats on the 14 week milestone Regarding the shed hairs do you find it varies, so you might lose a lot one day then hardly any the next? We notice the sheds more with not washing it, plus think how many went down the plughole unnoticed during washing! I know youíve said you need to do a thorough SMP because of your scalp, but are you overdoing the handling? I find the more I SMP the more hairs I lose.

What protective styles are you putting your hair in during the day and for sleep?

I donít know if this helps you but this is my morning routine:

1. Remove it from the bun scrunchie I slept in and do a quick 1-2 min upright scritch, then super gentle finger detangle each side really taking my time before a wide tooth comb goes anywhere near my hair.

2. Then I angle the comb pointing up and underneath my hair and comb the ends first working up the length. Finally I finish with very slow combing from the scalp down and stopping at any restriction.

3. Then <5 brush strokes with my Headjog to put it in its style for the day - bun or plait. Iíll shed 10-15 hairs max in total during steps 1-3.

It comes out at the end of the day and then I do an inverted scritch and head massage (no circles, just side to side massaging), no detangling or combing. I leave it loose in the evening before it gets bunned in the scrunchie again for sleep.
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Hi *Feral* Thanks! I have found some variation, I usually have quite a lot of shedding but every now and then I have had a day without too much. When I washed my hair I was always super conscious of trying to gather up as much hair as I could to minimise the amount that went down the drain, I knew I would miss some but hadn't thought it was that much...

Perhaps you are right and I might be over handling, I guess I just don't know how much SMP I should be doing. I have been able to reduce the amount I was working on my hair but how much should I be doing? Reading through the thread everyone is different so I know there isn't a hard and fast answer to this.

For protective styles I braid or bun. I prefer the bun because I hold it in place with a couple of pins which I feel is better to reduce breakage. Though if I get lazy I do a quick bun with a silk scrunchie, sometimes I break a few hairs doing this. At night I twist it into a loose bun and put on a silk cap to sleep with. I don't tie my hair, just leave it loose in the cap.

This morning I did a few runs through with my comb, I had maybe 5-10 hairs. This has been my standard routine in the morning for the past two weeks now, sometimes with a quick run through with my BBB. Prior to this I would comb, brush and then BBB but then one week my hair just felt really dry from about midway down my length to the ends and was getting staticky again so I changed what I was doing. I leave my hair down in the morning until I get to work and on the really oily week would gently preen in the car. I would end up with a pile of hairs in my lap,even though what I was doing was closer to a detangle (munis any tangles) than a preen.

In the evening I have been scritching my scalp with my fingers, finger detangling, combing and then BBB. One or two nights a week I will use my nit comb to help clean my scalp and distribute sebum. I have thought about just using the nit comb on my scalp instead of scritching but I can't decide what would be better. could I just not scritch every second day? Maybe I need to use my BBB less too, I love my comb way more.

If you don't detangle or comb after massage/scritch in the evening do you find that you have some hairs fall out afterwards?

I know it is a lot of trial and error and something I will need to work out what works best for me but I have been a little stressed about it again and needed to share my concerns. It helps to think things through and hear what others are doing. Perhaps I will try and do less with my hair and see how it works out for me. 🤷🏻*♀️

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Well my hair certainly prefers SO - I felt the need for a wash, which resulted in frizz for days. I see what people mean about how WO can be drying.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDinos View Post
    Hi *Feral* Thanks! I have found some variation, I usually have quite a lot of shedding but every now and then I have had a day without too much. When I washed my hair I was always super conscious of trying to gather up as much hair as I could to minimise the amount that went down the drain, I knew I would miss some but hadn't thought it was that much...

Perhaps you are right and I might be over handling, I guess I just don't know how much SMP I should be doing. I have been able to reduce the amount I was working on my hair but how much should I be doing? Reading through the thread everyone is different so I know there isn't a hard and fast answer to this.

For protective styles I braid or bun. I prefer the bun because I hold it in place with a couple of pins which I feel is better to reduce breakage. Though if I get lazy I do a quick bun with a silk scrunchie, sometimes I break a few hairs doing this. At night I twist it into a loose bun and put on a silk cap to sleep with. I don't tie my hair, just leave it loose in the cap.

This morning I did a few runs through with my comb, I had maybe 5-10 hairs. This has been my standard routine in the morning for the past two weeks now, sometimes with a quick run through with my BBB. Prior to this I would comb, brush and then BBB but then one week my hair just felt really dry from about midway down my length to the ends and was getting staticky again so I changed what I was doing. I leave my hair down in the morning until I get to work and on the really oily week would gently preen in the car. I would end up with a pile of hairs in my lap,even though what I was doing was closer to a detangle (munis any tangles) than a preen.

In the evening I have been scritching my scalp with my fingers, finger detangling, combing and then BBB. One or two nights a week I will use my nit comb to help clean my scalp and distribute sebum. I have thought about just using the nit comb on my scalp instead of scritching but I can't decide what would be better. could I just not scritch every second day? Maybe I need to use my BBB less too, I love my comb way more.

If you don't detangle or comb after massage/scritch in the evening do you find that you have some hairs fall out afterwards?

I know it is a lot of trial and error and something I will need to work out what works best for me but I have been a little stressed about it again and needed to share my concerns. It helps to think things through and hear what others are doing. Perhaps I will try and do less with my hair and see how it works out for me. 🤷🏻*♀️
    ĎDinos to answer your bolded text no I donít really shed hairs if I donít detangle in the evening, but if while itís loose I try a detangle or preen then I do lose some hairs. Sometimes while Iím watching tv Iíll put each side in a loose braid and it stays in that til i go to bed and cinnabun it with a satin scrunchie. I havenít a sleep cap.

I think in the early stages of NWSO it is easy to be super keen to do everything, because you want to do it right. You also have no point of reference to gauge anything and itís replacing a washing routine. The interesting thing I found was the less I did the better my hair got! When I was SMPíing and using my BBB daily my hair got very dry on the ends. And Iíd always have a brush full of shed hairs.

When I delved into the archived thread I found for some a BBB dried their hair out and removed sebum. I think that was happening to me - the SMP was activating the sebum which I was removing with my BBB a cycle I needed to break. I reduced the BBB to once a week for my scalp, then replaced it with my Denman - it feels great on the scalp and doesnít make my ends dry. And fewer shed hairs.

Like all of this you have to try and see what works for you, but Iíd agree that doing less with your hair might be the answer for you. Try a scritch every other day and use your combs instead of the BBB and let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by FrayedFire View Post
    Well my hair certainly prefers SO - I felt the need for a wash, which resulted in frizz for days. I see what people mean about how WO can be drying.
    FrayedFire yes sebum sorts frizz out! Bizarrely my hair feels cleaner with SO compared to WO. Water dried my ends out so I used to do a co-wash every 2 weeks, though it still wasnít enough
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Hi DinoDancing!

There is one other thing you might not have thought of and that is the fact that on NW/SO we become aware of the seasonal shedding of hair that isn't so noticeable when we wash our hair. I don't know where you are in the world, but it is something most people notice after they've been doing this for a while. Maybe note it down and see what happens as the seasons change?

Congrats on the 14 weeks!
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    FrayedFire yes sebum sorts frizz out! Bizarrely my hair feels cleaner with SO compared to WO. Water dried my ends out so I used to do a co-wash every 2 weeks, though it still wasn’t enough
    I keep meaning to try it with rainwater, cause that's softer, but my shower is absolutely drying. I'm not prone to frizzy hair (if I strip the oils it tends to "float" more than anything else), but I was so poofy for days! It's back to normal now and I'm happy.
    Last edited by FrayedFire; April 25th, 2021 at 05:22 PM.

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

This week Iíve been looking after a friendís horse.

Heís a big old retired cob. His horse friend died this year and now heís alone. Heís full on shedding and my friend hasnít felt up to giving him much grooming.

So Iíve been giving him ten mins or so grooming all week, and watching all the wax and old hairs come out in waves, and we are finally starting to see a little hint of shine!

Itís like watching NW in practice, really. I keep thinking of you guys as I brush, brush, brush.

Length
    2/47/52
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyponies View Post
    This week I’ve been looking after a friend’s horse.

He’s a big old retired cob. His horse friend died this year and now he’s alone. He’s full on shedding and my friend hasn’t felt up to giving him much grooming.

So I’ve been giving him ten mins or so grooming all week, and watching all the wax and old hairs come out in waves, and we are finally starting to see a little hint of shine!

It’s like watching NW in practice, really. I keep thinking of you guys as I brush, brush, brush.
    <3 Poor old guy.
    I got the puppy a Kent baby brush and she is so, so soft. I need to introduce her to baths soon because she needs to be comfortable with them, but I don't expect she'll have them often barring muddy excursions etc. She's so shiny.

I got my nit comb today. It took a lot of pet hair, lint, and sebum out, and that helped the tangling immensely. However, while the comb is seamless, it's a bit rough. That makes sense to have a grabby comb when you're trying to get nits out, but I'm not sure about it for my hair. I ordered a fine-toothed Hairsense comb and I'll compare them.

It occurred to me that part of SO with tools is finding what removes the correct amount of sebum and the correct ratio of oil to wax for your particular hair and your tastes (how dry or oiled you want your hair, how voluminous or shiny, etc). I remember it took awhile to perfect my finger preening technique, and I expect this will take awhile too.

Hopefully this weekend I can do my big chelating, trim, and henna gloss day so I can get back to this with happier hair. I also plan to dye my ends with Arctic Fox dye, which I have found in the past to be non-damaging and pleasant to use. I like having the option to play with color, and I'm curious if this dye will play well with SO. I wouldn't mind shampooing once or twice a year to reapply it, especially if it's just the last few inches of my hair and I don't have to start all over. Previously my hair took a month to return to normal after a shampoo, so I wouldn't want to do it any more than that.
    What is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
    Seek him always with hours to live.

Length
    ShgLp/Lo-Th/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

the only thing I love about spring is how my hair behaves. I can extend washes to 2 weeks and I can ns/wo without breaking my either too dry hair in summer or over-washing my scalp because I need to take a hot bath in winter. I don't even need to dampen and oil my hair like I do in summer. due to natural oils my hair has a bit of grip so my braids and buns stay put. in autumn and winter my hair becomes so slippery I can't even.
    I hate the nausea I have in spring though. I'm too sleepy to do something... decent with my life lol
    Well I don't have [volume on the] crown because I'm not a queen.