Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NW/SO Thread

Length
    14/16/22
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

My fine hair just can’t get past 10 days, I washed it today, so I’m out of this for now. Good luck all!

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    My fine hair just canít get past 10 days, I washed it today, so Iím out of this for now. Good luck all!
    No worries, Lainey! I think certain hair types might suit this method easier - but Iím certainly no expert. I had someone comment that my hair was Ďthickí yesterday - it was in a bun No way is my hair thick, itís medium at most, but I think possibly the sebum thickens it up to create the illusion of thickness. If you decide to try it again, even for a short time, pop back in!
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Well, Iíve made it seven weeks! I canít believe Iíve gotten this far and with much less stress and anxiety over my hair than I thought I would!

Iím still trying to work out the best method for scritching (so open to more options!). Iíve tried being more gentle using my fingers and that has been great at reducing breakage. Iíve also tried using my wooden comb which always feels great on my scalp. I keep feeling like Iíve not done a good enough job though and then go back and do more later. This includes after using a very fine toothed nit comb to spread and pull out excess sebum, dust and flakes of dry skin. Iíve noticed a whole lot of very short hairs on the top of my head where Iíve obviously caused a lot of breakage recently. I want to try and stop that from happening more but I also want to feel like Iím getting everything off of my scalp properly/enough! I have to stop causing so much damage but I donít know how to balance that fine line. Also donít want to damage my hair so much that I have to cut it all off to fix the damage!

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDinos View Post
    Well, Iíve made it seven weeks! I canít believe Iíve gotten this far and with much less stress and anxiety over my hair than I thought I would!

Iím still trying to work out the best method for scritching (so open to more options!). Iíve tried being more gentle using my fingers and that has been great at reducing breakage. Iíve also tried using my wooden comb which always feels great on my scalp. I keep feeling like Iíve not done a good enough job though and then go back and do more later. This includes after using a very fine toothed nit comb to spread and pull out excess sebum, dust and flakes of dry skin. Iíve noticed a whole lot of very short hairs on the top of my head where Iíve obviously caused a lot of breakage recently. I want to try and stop that from happening more but I also want to feel like Iím getting everything off of my scalp properly/enough! I have to stop causing so much damage but I donít know how to balance that fine line. Also donít want to damage my hair so much that I have to cut it all off to fix the damage!
    ĎDinos congrats on 7 weeks!
    Could the short hairs youíre noticing be new growth? How often are you doing SMP and whatís your hair type?

I donít know if itíll help you but this is my SMP method...

I sit somewhere where I can invert my hair, let it all hang forward. Then I start scritching my scalp gently with my fingernails (Iíve short Ďno nailsí), small light movements not deep scratching. After Iíve gone over my whole head I keep my head hanging down and do finger pad massage but not circular movements, just front-back and side-side, or it tangles. This takes around 5 minutes. Then flip hair back to normal - ooo head rush - and commence finger detangling.

For that I separate my hair into two halves and work on each side from the tips unravelling any knots or whirls and working up the length. When I feel itís ok and I can run my fingers through it I detangle with a wide tooth comb (wood or horn). I work from scalp down, stopping at any restriction and gently working out knots missed during finger detangling. More detangling next with my Headjog brush - this glides through and thereís usually about 3 hairs in it afterwards.

Next is my little Denman brush. I move all my hair back so itís hanging down my back and I start brushing my scalp but I donít go all the way down the hair length, just past my ears all the way round so the whole scalp is brushed. Then I move all my hair over one shoulder and gently brush it from the ears down before repeating on the other side. I also brush each side underneath from the nape of my neck upwards. The Denman is my preening tool really. Iíll finish off with finger combing from the scalp to the ends before deciding what style to put the beast into for the day. The whole process takes me 15-20 minutes.

Also check the thread on hair tools for NW/SO/WO https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=153809
    No Water Sebum Only since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Feral, what an excellent and helpful description of your current routine. Thank you for sharing it here.

Length
    PL/WL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

A head/skelp massager can help a lot at times I find.
    Also maybe the little hairs are new growth not breakage? I have found my hair grows better and more growth when I use SO than when I don't.

Thanks for sharing Feral! I wonít discount the possibility of new hairs however, Iím fairly certain itís broken strands, most likely from a couple of weeks ago when I was way too rough with it one night. I can see way more of my scalp through my hair than Iím used to. Itís unnerving. It also feels really thin on top around my part.

Iím not sure on hair type classifications. My hair is super fine and delicate. When I would wash it, it would curl when it dried. When it hasnít been wet, like now, itís mostly flat or has some large waves in it. Itís a bit below shoulder length.

I SMP once a day in the evening, I donít have time in the morning through the week. Thanks for the link to the thread, itís interesting to see what tools you use! Iíve been considering getting a horn comb to add to my collection but Iím a bit tight on funds at the moment and done want to pay for shipping on top of the comb cost.

I gave your method a go. I tend to lose most of my hair during scritching. I think early on I would break the hairs off as I massaged so Iíd stopped massaging with my fingers. I did try a gentle back and forth motion last night though rather than circular like you talked about. It definitely helped and I liked the feeling of it. I still pulled a lot of lose hairs out when I was done though. Hard to tell but it probably wasnít any more than if Iíd showered and washed it. Iím sure I would accidentally break hairs when I showered too though (like I said, super fine, super delicate, breaks easily all the time).

I then finger detangled (and pulled the loose strands out) and ran my wood, wide toothed comb though. I tried using an old brush with stiff nylon bristles the way you talked about using your Denman. I decided to pass on the super fine nit comb last night and went straight to a few runs through with my BBB but not too many. Comb again to loosen and separate the strands afterwards. I then sat on the couch watching a movie and ended up preening with my fingers. I was as gentle as I could be but still managed to pull some more hairs out. I also ended up with more hairs in my BBB. Over all, after the ones that had come out after scritching I probably ended up with half of that again. I should probably not play with it after Iíve brushed and combed at the end but my hair felt really nice after preening, like the sebum was better distributed. Iím sure Iíll get the hang of it somehow, eventually. Just hope Iíve got hair left by the time I do 😅

It was really nice this morning when I woke up! Just a few runs through with the comb and then I tip over and shake my head to separate/loosen the strands from each other and flip back.

I really enjoy not washing my hair, Iíd been frustrated with the process of washing and how my hair felt afterwards for ages. While my hair is not yet at a standard Iíd be happy to wear it down all day, itís still looking way better than I thought it would at this stage. Iím hoping it will get even better still!

Quote Originally Posted by HAJ View Post
    A head/skelp massager can help a lot at times I find.
    Also maybe the little hairs are new growth not breakage? I have found my hair grows better and more growth when I use SO than when I don't.
    I hadnít considered a head/scalp massaging tool. I had tried using my comp instead for a while to see if that would help. I think when I do massage with my fingers I feel that the warmth created between my fingers and scalp is really beneficial.

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks for sharing Feral! I wonít discount the possibility of new hairs however, Iím fairly certain itís broken strands, most likely from a couple of weeks ago when I was way too rough with it one night. I can see way more of my scalp through my hair than Iím used to. Itís unnerving. It also feels really thin on top around my part.

Iím not sure on hair type classifications. My hair is super fine and delicate. When I would wash it, it would curl when it dried. When it hasnít been wet, like now, itís mostly flat or has some large waves in it. Itís a bit below shoulder length.

I SMP once a day in the evening, I donít have time in the morning through the week. Thanks for the link to the thread, itís interesting to see what tools you use! Iíve been considering getting a horn comb to add to my collection but Iím a bit tight on funds at the moment and done want to pay for shipping on top of the comb cost.

I gave your method a go. I tend to lose most of my hair during scritching. I think early on I would break the hairs off as I massaged so Iíd stopped massaging with my fingers. I did try a gentle back and forth motion last night though rather than circular like you talked about. It definitely helped and I liked the feeling of it. I still pulled a lot of lose hairs out when I was done though. Hard to tell but it probably wasnít any more than if Iíd showered and washed it. Iím sure I would accidentally break hairs when I showered too though (like I said, super fine, super delicate, breaks easily all the time).

I then finger detangled (and pulled the loose strands out) and ran my wood, wide toothed comb though. I tried using an old brush with stiff nylon bristles the way you talked about using your Denman. I decided to pass on the super fine nit comb last night and went straight to a few runs through with my BBB but not too many. Comb again to loosen and separate the strands afterwards. I then sat on the couch watching a movie and ended up preening with my fingers. I was as gentle as I could be but still managed to pull some more hairs out. I also ended up with more hairs in my BBB. Over all, after the ones that had come out after scritching I probably ended up with half of that again. I should probably not play with it after Iíve brushed and combed at the end but my hair felt really nice after preening, like the sebum was better distributed. Iím sure Iíll get the hang of it somehow, eventually. Just hope Iíve got hair left by the time I do 😅

It was really nice this morning when I woke up! Just a few runs through with the comb and then I tip over and shake my head to separate/loosen the strands from each other and flip back.

I really enjoy not washing my hair, Iíd been frustrated with the process of washing and how my hair felt afterwards for ages. While my hair is not yet at a standard Iíd be happy to wear it down all day, itís still looking way better than I thought it would at this stage. Iím hoping it will get even better still!
    Hey ĎDinos Positive that your hair was nicer! Iíve lost track - how many weeks are you now? Hair type - possibly youíre a 1b fine type then.. it might be useful at some point to see a pic of the back of your hair - we canít do the Ďofficialí hair typing guide as that requires itís washed first, but maybe after a scritch / massage before brushing or detangling it would work. The thinness on top near your part you mention - that might be sebum gathering the hair strands together? I get a weird kink around my crown and some scalp is visible after wearing my hair in my sleep bun. Just a thought.

I think maybe we notice shed hairs more as we are not losing them during hair washing. Interesting you mentioned getting more hair loss during finger preening - I experienced this too which is why I didnít do it very often, it felt more damaging. BUT Iíve since found a technique which helps, so Iíll try and describe it as best I can! (it doesnít matter which hand you use Iím using L and R for explanation purposes)...

Iím starting the preen on the left side of my head. Pick up a 1Ē piece of hair between the fingers and thumb of your left hand and press together to preen. Once you get down the hair length to ear level hold the part of the hair youíve just preened with your right hand quite firmly and continue preening down the remaining length with your left hand. Because youíre holding the hair thatís nearest the scalp youíre not tugging the hair length from the bottom. Basically stroking the hair from top to bottom using both hands.. I find this results in fewer hairs pulled during preening. Let me know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Hey ĎDinos Positive that your hair was nicer! Iíve lost track - how many weeks are you now? Hair type - possibly youíre a 1b fine type then.. it might be useful at some point to see a pic of the back of your hair - we canít do the Ďofficialí hair typing guide as that requires itís washed first, but maybe after a scritch / massage before brushing or detangling it would work. The thinness on top near your part you mention - that might be sebum gathering the hair strands together? I get a weird kink around my crown and some scalp is visible after wearing my hair in my sleep bun. Just a thought.

I think maybe we notice shed hairs more as we are not losing them during hair washing. Interesting you mentioned getting more hair loss during finger preening - I experienced this too which is why I didnít do it very often, it felt more damaging. BUT Iíve since found a technique which helps, so Iíll try and describe it as best I can! (it doesnít matter which hand you use Iím using L and R for explanation purposes)...

Iím starting the preen on the left side of my head. Pick up a 1Ē piece of hair between the fingers and thumb of your left hand and press together to preen. Once you get down the hair length to ear level hold the part of the hair youíve just preened with your right hand quite firmly and continue preening down the remaining length with your left hand. Because youíre holding the hair thatís nearest the scalp youíre not tugging the hair length from the bottom. Basically stroking the hair from top to bottom using both hands.. I find this results in fewer hairs pulled during preening. Let me know how it goes!
    Sorry for the late response, itís been a busy week! I thought Iíd done seven weeks but it was actually six! So Iím at about six and a half at the moment.

Iíve tried some variations of holding my hair near my scalp while I preen with the other. Depending on which part of my head Iím working on itís a good process, still trying to work it out completely though.

Im finding it hard to balance scritching enough verses too much! I was definitely doing it too much earlier in this journey but for the last few days I donít think Iíd done it enough. 🤦🏻*♀️ It wasnít feeling so nice tonight.