Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NW/SO Thread

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KokoroDragon View Post

If you're thinking about starting SO, my best advice is to listen to your scalp. Also, I'm seeing a pattern of SO people using shampoo bars sometime before starting, or using them when they do wash. It might be something to look into if you haven't already.
    Yes KokoroDragon, I definitely think this helped my transition period. The scalp gets used to normalising its sebum production. Sounds like your routine is working great.

BuddhaBelle Iíve heard of people using dilute Castile liquid soap too. I would add that if youíre going to use a shampoo bar go for the natural ones, not just solid SLS bars. Avoid Lush - it reeked and made my whole head feel like it was on fire! Far too harsh for me. Go with those made with natural oils. I used this one https://shop.conchus.co.uk/products/softy
    NWSO since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    24/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Wow! Lots of activity on this thread since I last looked in.

Good to see you again Bedhead. How is it going this week, Feral and Kokoro Dragon. Welcome to the thread to those just starting out. Sorry, I can’t see your names right now... I look forward to getting to know you all some as we talk NW/SO hair care.

Length
    13/27.5/40
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I haven't posted an update in a while, have I?

I'm starting to lose track of time, but I think it's been just over 3 weeks since I last washed. My scalp still feels fine, there isn't a lot of sebum production. A couple days ago I noticed my hair wasn't as slippy as usual, and my fingers didn't glide through like they usually do. I think the type of sebum coating my hair is more waxy than oily right now, so it's not adding much shine or slip. It's great for holding buns, but makes detangling and brushing more difficult.

Also, my ends are developing kinks. Some of the strands have sharp bends in them, but only on the very ends. I think it's mostly to do with my hair almost always being in a braid so they're not as protected, and that I haven't trimmed in over a year and hardly ever S&D. But I suspect not getting them wet is what's making the kinks stay in place. I may dip just the ends in water to see if that will straighten them, and perhaps oil them.

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hey all,
    Over here it is going great. My last CO wash was at the solstice. After Christmas I fell off the wagon of my preferred dietary choices and added in some sugary and greasy food for a couple of weeks, which really showed up in my hair. This last fortnight-ish I have been back to eating normally and brushing and combing a little more diligently and feel that it is coming around back to its happy self.

There is a lot of lint which I think is coming from my head-covering which is getting a bit old after wearing it almost daily for the last year. Itís made of viscose and I suspect that itís shedding more lint as it has thinned. I bought a satin one but itís just not the same for physical, dusty and mucky building and tree work. *sigh* always a shame when favourite items wear out!

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

All good here My hair hasnít changed and Iím happy with it. Iím only using my BBB once weekly (for scalp health) and I have noticed more sebum on the length / ends. I definitely think using it too much reduces sebum for me, 1-2 times a week is max now. Basically alternate between plaits and bun and only have my hair down in the evening. I still canít get over the softness and shine my hair has. Iíve developed a habit of stroking, curling my braid tassel when Iím reading so after Iíve braided I wet the tassel and put some oil on to protect it.
    NWSO since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Ok this always happens. I focus on something too much and then I get the urge to shift it all up

So I CO-washed today, felt like the right time and we are at full moon and coming up to Imbolc so Iíll easily be able to remember when it was. I loved the feel of having the cold water on my head, I dunked the top of my head in and held the length under my chin so that it wouldnít get all upside-down. It cheered me up.

This is definitely the best plan for me with life things as they are, so Iíll sort of linger here a bit and cheer you lot on but will continue with my occasional CO washing.

Length
    24/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I look forward to hearing how things progress for you, Ponies.

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tinyponies View Post
    Ok this always happens. I focus on something too much and then I get the urge to shift it all up

So I CO-washed today, felt like the right time and we are at full moon and coming up to Imbolc so I’ll easily be able to remember when it was. I loved the feel of having the cold water on my head, I dunked the top of my head in and held the length under my chin so that it wouldn’t get all upside-down. It cheered me up.

This is definitely the best plan for me with life things as they are, so I’ll sort of linger here a bit and cheer you lot on but will continue with my occasional CO washing.
    Ponies you do what works for you. Dunking head in cold water does sound invigorating! How did you manage to CO wash the rest of your hair without it being upside down? I know at your length these logistics are tricky

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Thanks you two,

A bit o/t but I felt a bit like sharing my blissful head-in-water moment a bit like gushing over cake on a cake-free liviní board.

Iíll go and make a post on the cold water washing thread xx

Hi all,
    I found this thread about two weeks ago and very slowly worked my way through it all. So much useful information! I thought I would drop a line, say hello and share my journey this far.
    I have very fine, thin hair. It likes to curl sometimes (mostly after it was washed and had air dried). Not sure on hair types. Iíve spent ages trying to grow it, frustrated when it get damaged or when Itís too fine and thin for hair styles.
    I have tried a variety of low/no poo over the years. I tried WO for a while a few years ago but the water at home is too hard and full of calcium which sat on my hair all gross and waxy. At the time I started trying SO but I didnít know enough then to keep my hair clean. I think I collected a lot of pollen and allergens in my hair and I was suffering with hay fever for a few days before I washed my hair.
    I started using New Wash by Hairstory. It has been a really great option, I was just using it on my scalp and roots so I often had sebum down the length of my hair. I have also been able to draw out my washes. A few weeks ago though I decided to try WO again, forgetting how awful the hard water was. I was able to do one or two WO washes between an actual wash but as I tried drawing it out more and had more sebum down the length of my hair I just ended up with a head of gross, waxy, crappy hair that was starting to look a bit damaged. It took me a couple of days to brush out all of the waxy grossness from my hair (my BBB was white after a couple strokes through my hair and had to be cleaned so multiple times in a brush).
    I started reading about acid washes to try and help with the hard water. It was then I stumbled onto this thread, there is so much information, stories, advice, tips and tricks from people who have gone through this process and so I thought I would give it a go again.
    Im almost three weeks in. Iím looking a bit like an oil slick but SMP, my BBB, comb and nit comb (thanks for the suggestion in the thread!) are all helping me feel like it is somewhat manageable. Keeping it in a braid helps too. I am Desperately hoping I can find the mental fortitude to get through the transition!