Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NW/SO Thread

Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: The Official NW/SO Thread

Question:
    How can I improve constant 'wet hair' look?

Quote Originally Posted by proo View Post
    Hi valkyrie-
    Do you mean “shred” or “shed”?
    In either case, sounds like you’re being a bit too aggressive so perhaps back off the smp somewhat.
    In my experience this method requires constant tweaking with regard to what’s going on with your body, what’s around it and what you put in it.
    I really like this aspect because I like tweaking my experience in all ways
    And it requires a certain sensitivity about my body that I didn’t cultivate when I was out there trying to find another product to fix something
    Well said proo. Sorry for my bad English I meant "shed" . Maybe I will turn smp down a bit . Thing is I love to do the scritch and massage part with my fingers while the preen part I love to do with my horn comb which I can get too much enthusiastic with . I will try doing all with just my fingers and see how it goes. If I just let my hair be it will smell funky

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

FreyedFire, this is a firm, round, BBB. I bought it in my shampoo days. But keep in mind, I am doing an experiment. I don't know if I will continue with its use. The BBB did not work for me in the past, either damaging my ends or making my hair look more damp than it needed because it stimulates the scalp so much.

Shigure, SMP is key. Also some people find wiping their hair with a cloth helpful. But, really, if you are in mid transition... braids are your new best friend. Other things you might want to look at is your diet (we need a clean diet to be successful with NW/SO), your stress level, and environment. If those are all good, and you're SMPing religiously, then it's more a matter of time. Intertwining scarves with your styles will also help to absorb the excess sebum.

Valkyrie, I wanted to point out too, as many don't, you might not be aware of just how much your hair sheds when you wash with water. When you do this method, it's easy to witness it all, instead of it disappearing down the drain while our eyes are closed. Too, I found the closer I got to being fully transitioned, my shedding rate decreased significantly. Don't forget to eat a clean! I'd say SMP as much as you are, but, as proo suggested, maybe do it more gently.
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Yeah, I wouldn't use a firm bbb on the length too often, but now that you've mentioned it, sometimes it does seem to make my hair look more wet, but sometimes it helps, so, maybe just for occasional use. I think I might be nearing another transition, but I'm also finding that my ends are dry so I'm considering a treatment, but I'm not sure if there's a way to do it that won't set me back to square one...

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

That depends on what you mean by "treatment".

How long have you been on the NW/SO wagon? How long is your hair? This will help us answer your questions, because the answers can be different depending on where you're at in your journey.

I know when I was transitioning, lightly spritzing my ends with water, then oiling them with only one drop of oil for the entirety helped. I only did i when absolutely needed, though. One day I noticed I hadn't needed to for quite some time, and haven't needed it since.

One thing proo highly recommended to me during this time was to try doing a crown braid and really get your ends tucked up in there, right near your scalp. I'd try this first.

I preen my hair into 2 rope twists
    Then stroke the ends directly on my nape scalp, the most sebum- rich area for me.
    If convenient, I’ll tuck the ends under the opposite twist and scarf it in there for awhile

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I'm not entirely sure... I spent about a year only washing like once a week, and then several months stretching it to multiple weeks, and the last time I washed was for the New Year, I think?

I dislike that this method makes my hair look darker, plus I like to enhance the natural reds and blondes in my colour, so I was wondering if I could do some henna/cassia glosses and honey lightening, plus those are good for hair and I'm babying old dyed hair as I grow in "virgin" hair.

I'm also mad at myself because I bought several sample CV bars because I thought I wanted to use them for a gentle monthly wash, but they're probably too finicky what with the acidic rinse, but on the other hand, it could be the perfect thing for the ocassional cleansing.

I'm actually trying to avoid braids for 2018, buns only, though I guess if I can figure out how to do a rope crown that would be pretty awesome, my hair is long enough, the taper is brushing tailbone.

Length
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Your hair looks darker, because you haven't yet transitioned. It will lighten up.

I don't colour my hair, and I've read many contradicting things regarding henna. Many have stopped NW/SO because they felt like they had to interrupt it too often to maintain their henna. BUT I did read about a woman who just didn't rinse it, and continued down the road of SMPing and NW/SO like nothing happened, and she felt it was fine that way.

If you find you want to rinse and use your bars, try making a diluted solution rather than lathering up right on the head. They'll last the rest of your life this way! Ha ha!

Buns work well too. I rarely braided my hair.

If you don't have one, I would highly recommend you get a lice comb. That changed so much for me.

Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Ah! Okay, that's good. But I still would like to lighten and tint it occasionally, which is why I got excited when I learned about glosses, but it's not a maintaining thing, it's more of an every so often thing my goal is a natural looking reddish bayalage sort of deal, and I think the way to go may be honey and cassia along with a little bit of henna done as a gloss every so often. I'm really lazy and I hate root growth so I figured, well, if i make it deliberate, I don't have to keep up with anything, and I still get red hair... but I've been itching for a touch-up, pushing it off because I don't want to transition from scratch.

Oh, they definitely will last for a long time, that's for sure. I can't imagine how long it would take me to go through a full sized bar, no thank you!

Yes! I'm actually hunting for a lice comb and something to replace my TT, because I saw it mentioned in the old thread. So many options, in material as well as design.

My shedding seems to decrease somehow. I shed a lot more on 2 last day of a washing cycle , day 6 when I oil my hair and day 7 when I wash it. Now even though I don't follow that schedule anymore my hair can't still keep up lol. So it still sheds massively on day 6 and 7 of a washing cycle and gradually decrease.Well that's just my theory.

Anyways Idk if I'm hallucinating but my hair feels and looks thicker as I do NW. It feels much more fluffy down the end too. Does it happen to your hair? And how do you know that the transition is over ? I've been no poo with indian herbs for over a year but can't still tell !!