View Poll Results: Do you think it's better to have regular trims or just keep growing?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular trims are always best.

20 8.93%
  • Only trim when needed.

104 46.43%
  • I'm trying to trim as little as possible!

86 38.39%
  • I'm still trying to figure it out!

34 15.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Better to trim or just keep growing?

Length
    26"/26"/30"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Better to trim or just keep growing?

I've always believed that you should only trim away damage and anything other cuts are completely unnecessary as hair grows from our roots, not our ends. I may of course be wrong as my hair is a total disaster at the moment, but even so, I'm going to stubbornly cling to the this belief as long as I can.

Length
    HL/BCL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I think I like do a more consistent trim (like 2 inches) but just every
    6-8 months
    Last edited by Bri-Chan; January 26th, 2020 at 11:29 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Long time since I answered this, I think.

Right now, after reaching goal length, I maintain. I cut about each couple of months (just about), just when I feel like it's getting a little too much past classic length. With Feye's. And 2 times a year I compact cut, which is a method for layering the hair, so I put my layers back on point.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    N/A/N/A/N/A
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

If it’s damaged, chop it off. If it’s not damaged leave it alone❗️
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

Length
    SL/CBL/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Since I joined the No Trim 2020 First half only! thread, I'm pondering this also. Going to read everyone's opinions -- glad for those of you who have gone before us newbies who share your experiences!

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

So when I first answered this I hadn't had my first trim since I had started growing.

I think it's all about what you want, really.

When it comes to damage I really feel like that's gotta go, because it can travel up the hair and make matters worse. Plus I don't really count super damaged hair as length.

Undamaged hair doesn't really need trims, since you're just cutting off perfectly good hair. I think once every six months is probably fine.

But personally, I've learned I get really bored and frustrated with my hair, and trims that help give it shape and thin it out some really help me enjoy my hair. Some people like the really long, thick, no-layers style, but that's just not me. I feel like my hair can easily overwhelm me.

It also helps to have a good stylist. With my last trim, I measured before and after, and she really didn't take off any length, just a few layers and some thinning so it's less poofy.

So, it's all up to what the individual wants, past cutting off damage.

Length
    ear/class/floor
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

I've stopped cutting my hair at all. I don't think it's necessary. Cutting damages your ends, you are literally breaking the hair. It might look healthy, at first, but it's not actually a healthy hair end. It's a damaged end, just a neat and tidy one, and it's now prone to further damage.

I had a lot of damage from bleaching one part of my hair too much/too strong and I had to cut a lot of that out. That was a year or two ago, and now my hair's in better shape I don't see any need to cut it at all for any reason.

In the garden you have to cut to promote growth sometimes, but not for hair. The other difference is most people maintain their own gardens, but most people pay a hairdresser... not to sound all conspiracy theorist, but I think that's a large part of why people think cutting hair is necessary.

Also, I'm lazy

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Reviving this old thread!
    I trim as little as possible. The last haircut I had was a year and a half ago. Pretty much since then I’ve been S&Ding and I do quarterly microtrims where some hairs get cut maybe a CM but most are just trimmed out a few MM. my hair definitely has damage, so at some point in the next six months or so I want to take an inch or two off

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I'm doing a trimming schedule with the solstices and equinoxes (~every 3 months), but only dusting the ends. I won't do a real trim until I get to hip, I plan maintain there for a while to let my undercut catch up and get rid of damage.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(20")~BSL(24")~WL(27")~HL(30")~TBL(34")

Length
    Bald/Buzz/TBL

I trim when the mood strikes me which has been often over the years, in 2020 I used to trim every 12 weeks and it actually seemed to work for me, I guess it gives me something to look forward to, I need to get back to being strict with schedules tbh