Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: December 2017: Rose Bun

A rose bun from today, two braids:

Type
    1b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Iku-Turso View Post
    This is an old one, but haven't done rose buns since. It's a Triple Rose Bun with a Lego X-wing Starfighter. I added the X-wing as a hair accessory because the swirls made me think of space somehow and the three buns reminded me of Leia.

That is GORGEOUS! It's perfect timing with the new Star Wars movie coming out!
    2011- Braidwaves 2013 - Purple ends - trimmed 17in 2014

Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I should try this tomorrow. My overly worrying self, however, feels a bit "guilty" when using ponytails. Like, I feel it counteracts "the purpose" of an updo, which is to protect the hair. I get that it still tangles less and is protected... but still.
    Bared on your tomb I'm a prayer for your loneliness
    And would you ever soon come above unto me?

Length
    CBL/CBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Personally I only do a ponytail as I make the braid(s), then I take out the hair tie and bun my hair.

Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Well, here it is.
    Overall, I'd wear it again, it feels sturdy, comfortable to wear and of a difficulty appropriate for my lack of talent. I do think I have to practice both rope braiding and pinning the braids so they actually look like petals. I get that one of the biggest problems is my lack of thickness, specially at the ends, but I should find a way to make the center more flat and open. Not sure it looked like an actual rose, so I put a hair toy to skew viewers

Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I'm thinking an option could be to tie the two braids together at a certain point, where taper begins, and make one rope braid, so the petals look bigger in the outside part

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMoon View Post
    I'm thinking an option could be to tie the two braids together at a certain point, where taper begins, and make one rope braid, so the petals look bigger in the outside part
    You would have to wrap up to that point and then combine and finish the braid, otherwise there would be a difference in the amount of length used between each braid which would make for an awkward transition to the part where they merge.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    You would have to wrap up to that point and then combine and finish the braid, otherwise there would be a difference in the amount of length used between each braid which would make for an awkward transition to the part where they merge.
    Yes, I was thinking of securing them with one of those tiny elastics, then "unrope" all the hair, and make a new braid. We'll see. I'll also give it a try without the ponytail, I'm not too fond of them, and also tend to tie them too tightly :/

Quote Originally Posted by hypersensitive
    That is GORGEOUS! It's perfect timing with the new Star Wars movie coming out!
    Thank you! Have to remember to do my hair according to the theme when going to see the new movie. Also, it's always a good timing for Star Wars related hair, movie or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMoon
    I think the most rose-like bun is a normal braided bun, where the braid lies flat and is rolled and pinned starting from outside towards the middle (the tassel is hided under the bun's center) and where the "petal-side" of the braid is loosened by pulling. I hope I don't violate this thread's rules by posting another kind of rose bun, but it's really hard to just explain with words.
    I did these kind of buns when I had red ends in my hair:

Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Iku-Turso View Post
    Thank you! Have to remember to do my hair according to the theme when going to see the new movie. Also, it's always a good timing for Star Wars related hair, movie or not.

I think the most rose-like bun is a normal braided bun, where the braid lies flat and is rolled and pinned starting from outside towards the middle (the tassel is hided under the bun's center) and where the "petal-side" of the braid is loosened by pulling. I hope I don't violate this thread's rules by posting another kind of rose bun, but it's really hard to just explain with words.
    I did these kind of buns when I had red ends in my hair:

I see. That looks really nice! Specially with the coloured ends it definitely looks like a flower.
    Plus, on light hair with colour variations it's much easier to spot the pattern in any updo. With my black hair sometimes things look like a bunch of bumps and nothing else. If you have a video showing how to do this one you posted I'd appreciate it. I'm curious to see if the larger braid starting on the upper left side is braided first, separately, or you have to braid as you go.