View Poll Results: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • > 13

24 7.84%
  • 13 - 19

93 30.39%
  • 20 - 25

90 29.41%
  • 26 - 30

32 10.46%
  • 31 - 40

39 12.75%
  • 41 - 50

14 4.58%
  • 51 - 60

8 2.61%
  • 61 - 70

4 1.31%
  • 71+

0 0%
  • cheese

2 0.65%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

Length
    0"/23"/T
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Default How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

I was 22, I'm wondering at what age everyone else decided they were going to get down to business and grow their hair out long?

Shaved Head:
    May 2016 || Picture Taken: October 2017 || Virgin Hair

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

I was 47 I decided that if I don't do it now it could be too late.
    Last edited by Sarahlabyrinth; October 30th, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    ShgLp/Lo-Th/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

24 - and yeah it doesn´t have 10 characters...

I was (and still am) 44

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

16. So I've been growing for ten years now

Be nice or I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Where the eagle and the raven fly free.........
    Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Maybe around 15 or so when I got seriously hit with the Tolkien bug after reading The Silmarillion.

@veerexx
    hair thickness: 3.35" (8.5 cm) | length: 41" (104 cm)
    Lady Flidais, Guardian of the Woodland Creatures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/MBL/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I was 18. I brushed out my dreadlocks, then a few months later at 19 I chopped my hair from BSL to CBL, shortest it had been since I was 7 years old. Now I'm 21 and creeping past waist.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    2/22?/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Always wanted long hair - finally grew up enough to work out - you just have to stop cutting it and be patient enough to wait 3- 5 yrs
    - only took 30+ years to figure it out.
    I could have had Rapunzel style hair three times over by now if I'd come to that conclusion and committed sooner!
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Which time?

I fell in love with Crystal Gayle's magnificent hair when I was a little kid, but my mother didn't (and still doesn't) really know what to do with long hair. So I had to keep it fairly short (shorter than shoulder length, anyway) until I was about twelve (~1988 ), at which point my mom decided that I was old enough to deal with my own hair and if I wanted to grow it long, that was my business as long as I kept it clean and so forth.

So I grew it long for several years, and then made the colossal mistake of chopping BSL/mid-back length hair into a very ill-advised cut that would now be in the general category of "pixie cuts" (but that wasn't a term I heard in 1992), and even my mother tried to talk me out of the chop. (This is why we do not cut our hair when we are frustrated/annoyed with it, at least not without thinking about it for a couple of weeks! )

I grew it out again and wore it long-ish for quite a while. I got really dedicated about wearing it long in my late twenties, when I started participating in the SCA, and having long hair is useful if one wishes to do one's best impression of a 14th C. London woman who owns a wine-shop. I grew it out to around classic, maybe a little past, and then I got tired of the weight of it, so I cut it back to around BSL, and then to shoulder, and then another short, wavy cut that at least made an asset out of my wave pattern rather than a hindrance, but I still just don't have the facial features to pull off short hair.

I grew it back to the shoulder-length cut and maintained there for a while, and then in summer 2014, I decided I missed my long hair and started growing it again. Around February 2015, I got the layers from the shoulder-length cut taken off (which only cost me maybe 1.5 inches/4 cm), and I've trimmed twice since then.

I'm probably never going to wear it shorter than shoulder length ever (barring illness that costs me my hair; there's a couple of types of cancer that some of my family members have had). I'm almost 42 now.
    Last edited by AZDesertRose; October 30th, 2017 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Edited to correct a formatting error
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

This time around, I was in my 30s, I think. Yep. I got to classic age 43, September 2015. 20 years after the accident that disabled me (the irony). By that time I had been on this board for about 10 years and had been trying to get to classic for about that time! A lot of dye experiments and experiments in general kept my hair short and shorter for a long time. When I changed my "wicked ways" (how Halloween appropriate LOL), it grew. And grew. I kept it classic from September 2015 to November 2016, and then this past year I let it grow back to TBL. Next stop: classic again. Next year. And they I'll grow on (hopefully) and we'll see how far I get!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)