View Poll Results: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

Voters
306. You may not vote on this poll
  • > 13

24 7.84%
  • 13 - 19

93 30.39%
  • 20 - 25

90 29.41%
  • 26 - 30

32 10.46%
  • 31 - 40

39 12.75%
  • 41 - 50

14 4.58%
  • 51 - 60

8 2.61%
  • 61 - 70

4 1.31%
  • 71+

0 0%
  • cheese

2 0.65%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

I always had long hair as a kid, anywhere from shoulder to waist I believe. Then as a teen I got a stacked bob because I'd just moved to a new state and was about to start high school and wanted a super fresh look (that I ended up hating after like a week). After that my hair stayed between shoulder and BSL, until I finally decided that yes I was going to try a pixie cut.

By then my hair was damaged from poor handling and bleaching so I could color it pink and purple, and the tangles were... monstrous, and I hated it and I hated how my hair felt all the time even if it looked fine or even nice. That was like, the final nail in the coffin for my "long" hair until maybe two years ago when I started to really miss it. I missed braiding it (only ever english, although now I can add dutch to that! french technically as well, but I prefer dutch), and just feeling it.

But I didn't decide to grow it until January of 2016, and then I decided to go with a mohawk with the top and back very very long. But halfway through the year I was already certain that that wasn't what I really wanted, and I started to grow it out 100%. It stayed about shoulder to CBL for ages, while I trimmed out the incredibly awkward layers from the side shaves, and I found LHC this summer, and I'm so happy!

So, I was 28! And it's only been a year and a half since I decided to go whole hog, but almost 3 since I decided to go even half.

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/BSL+/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: How old were you when you committed to seriously growing out your hair?

29, I felt that was quite late but looking at the results maybe not as late as I thought.

I was only really looking to make my hair healthier then I found LHC and look what happened

Finally finished growing out natural colour!

Length
    Pixie/MBL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

I was in my late thirties, at least this time around.
    Pix~Bob~CBL~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBL~Waist~Hip~TBL~CL...We'll see.

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dendra View Post
    29, I felt that was quite late but looking at the results maybe not as late as I thought.

I was only really looking to make my hair healthier then I found LHC and look what happened

Better late than never!

Yours in happily pixied until age 45,
    Susan

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I was around the age of 11 when i decided i wanted long hair...many bad chops from scissor happy hair dressers and hair loss by stress and other loss along the way so have not quite got there yet..but now i am determined to reach long lengths that i started out from when i was 11!

i think from mid 30's i was most serious about it meaning taking better care of it and eating a good diet..

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Mid-40s. I didn't acquire the patience to leave it alone and let it grow until that age. I reached my goal of classic length and have moved on to other interests.

Length
    16/44/NA
    Type
    1a/F/iii

I think I was about 17/18. I'm pretty sure it was after I had cut my hair to chin length, the shortest it'd ever been, and the least manageable. It looked gross and needed way more care than the longer hair, so I just started growing it and haven't really stopped. It was more of a benign neglect thing, I think.

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ghost pisces View Post
    I think I was about 17/18. I'm pretty sure it was after I had cut my hair to chin length, the shortest it'd ever been, and the least manageable. It looked gross and needed way more care than the longer hair, so I just started growing it and haven't really stopped. It was more of a benign neglect thing, I think.
    Benign neglect and "long hair is way easier to care for than short for me!" fist-bump of solidarity! ;D
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    APL/Class/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I was about 14 and got a shoulder length chop (from waist length) because it was trendy at the time. Instant regret, starting growing it out since then and have only been to the hairdressers once since then. My fear of the hairdressers is actually insane.

Now I'm at classic length 6 years later I'm still growing out some layers and some old bangs but eventually I'll get it all to one length and be happy!

Goal: Knee

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    I wasn't allowed to have long hair before 6 because I didn't like to comb it! Mom had to cut off tangles, so short it stayed until I submitted to the comb. Most of my friends had long hair in braids at the time. I wanted hair like theirs. By teens they cut their hair, I kept mine long.
    I'm glad you could start growing it, though. I experimented a lot in my teens. When I was 12 I had a pixie cut, and about a year later I started losing my hair in clumps (bald patches). Hormonal issue. They finally balanced themselves out and I had my hair back 2 years later at age 15/16. Only it grew back in wavy instead of straight, which was a whole other thing to deal with.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)