Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Year Growth, And Troubleshooting Damage (Pic)

Length
    28MBL/39TB+/Term
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default One Year Growth, And Troubleshooting Damage (Pic)

So I started my journey here last October, and here is a picture of when I started, next to a picture from last week.
    But I've done several things to my hair that of been pretty damaging, and I was wanting to see if there's any input on what was the most damaging, or if they were all equally bad. First of all, last March I toned my hair. The ladies at Sally's insisted that it wouldn't cause any damage so I went with it. I figured my hair was pretty light and it would be fun to see if I could get it as light as the elves on lord of the rings. LOL it didn't work out that way. The next thing I did was dying my hair red in June with a semi permanent. Deposit only. But I hated it so I washed it out as quickly as possible. Over the next three days I washed it probably 25 times. I use head and shoulders, head and shoulders with baking soda, vinegar soaks, and clarifying shampoo's until finally all the red was gone.
    I have also been self trimming Andy doing S&D, and maybe my scissors weren't expensive enough. My hair scissors are by Conair and cost $20 at Walmart. I have a lock on them so that they don't get used on anything at all but my hair. I've trimmed it dry the way I've seen it done on YouTube.
    Currently, after all of my trimming over the past year I have gained 5 inches of length. I think my total has been about 7 inches but like I said there's been the trimming. Obviously I should not color my hair anymore at all. But should I get more expensive scissors, or should I just simply go back to the salon that I trust for a 2 inch trim once a year? If I were to trim off all of what I consider damaged, it would be back up to my elbows. Do I need to trim it all and get it over with and try again, or should I let it go and trim it later when I get a little further down in length?
    My hair is still a security item for me and I'm leaning against trimming it all back up to my elbows right now, because when it's down I'm very comforted by the feeling of it against the backs of my arms and forearms and in the small of my back. But I am also concerned that it's so rough looking it might be ugly. I can't tell if this is what's called fairytale ends, or if it's just plain scruffy and needs to be dealt with right away.
    All input is most welcome!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by FennFire911; October 10th, 2017 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Picture didn't post on the first try.

Default Re: One Year Growth, And Troubleshooting Damage (Pic)

It's not at all ugly, it's pretty, but the last couple of inches look dry. Do you use any leave ins? I would try and keep the ends very moisturized, and if they still look as rough maybe take off an inch and see if that helps.

I have just started using leave ins, and it makes such a difference! I also wet and re-moisturize the braid tassel in between washes as well
    Hair thickness:6.2 cm (2.4'') Longest: TBL + Current length: APL (maintaining) Goal length: Waist

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Most damaging: baking soda 100%. Don't use that anymore, please!! It will super destroy your hair. Out of everything, you probably would've been fine (I say probably, as everyone is different) had you skipped the baking soda but had still done the rest.

As for your ends now, just baby them! Leave ins, deep conditioners, oils, that sort of thing. Maybe microtrim to start getting rid of the damage without losing much (if any) length.

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Personally, I would cut out the worse of the damage. I'd rather see progress re-growing instead of having to constantly trim and staying at the same length.

Length
    28MBL/39TB+/Term
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Does anybody think my hair scissors aren't good enough? Should I get a better pair at Sally's or something?
    I won't be using baking soda again, that was because I read a Wiki-How article to get red dye out.
    I'm working on babying my ends, but if I don't see enough improvement I'll try to work on trimming it back in increments. I don't think I would be Ok cutting 5" at once. But one inch a week might not be so shocking.
    I've found a new oil and deep conditioning mask I want to give a chance before I get drastic. I'm so torn. One minute I want to get rid of it all and start over at my elbows, the next minute I want to tough it out longer. It's agonizing. I'm definitely scared to cut it until I'm sure I have scissors that won't cause more damage than they fix.

Length
    12 in/40 in/40 in
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I don't think your scissors are the problem here, unless 95% of your ends look very bad. Have you tried fermented rice water? There's a big thread about it on the natural recipes board. I used to have very scrawny and damaged ends, and FRW made them super soft and more resistent. It's all cut off now, but I keep using it because I love it's effect on my texture. Give it a try!
    ETA: Even in case your scissors are bad, just replace them but keep doing the trimming yourself, you'll have control over how much you want to take off. Stick to small trims and your ends will get a lot better, still getting some good growth.
    Last edited by Khristopher; October 10th, 2017 at 08:11 PM.
    2b ~ M/C ~ iii ~ Dark Brunnette ~ Hennahead ♥
    Goal is Classic Length braids(Achieved!)/FTL(Achieved!) -thickness is a plus-
    Current length: knee+ and growing

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Your hair looks thirsty. I deep condition monthly and that is enough for me. But I also alternate between shampooing and cowashing.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    Chin/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I'd recommend deep conditioning, oiling, and generally taking really good care of the bottom half of your hair for a while before deciding whether or not you need to trim. It could be a matter of it being worse than it looks due to dryness but if you do find legitimate damage, trim it yourself or S&D so as to keep as much length as possible. I wish I'd known this before I cut my hair to chin length last Summer!

Long-Term: Grow to knee; maintain until I have an even hemline + virgin hair before continuing to grow.
    Chin-length Bob in July 2016 Reached Tailbone in August 2020 Next Goal: Classic by August 2020.

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

try not to cut your hair at every minor imperfection. there are many other ways to keep your hair and still get rid of the damage in time, no matter how good or bad it is. I always recommend this video when someone thinks to cut their hair first... I got a deep v-shape from a long pixie (found my a similar haircut while randomly browsing for haircut trends and a long pixie resembles my last haircut)

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

To me, it looks like you could just use more moisture. Keep micro trimming, I do it every month and it's improved my hair by ten fold. But do a deep conditioning treatment, maybe start using leave ins if your not. The ends just look really dry to me and it's probably due to using the baking soda, don't ever use that stuff again.