Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some advice for Shampoo Bars

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Some advice for Shampoo Bars

Okay, I searched and my water is listed as "moderately hard". I will definitely look into water filtering shower heads. I have some chelating shampoo that my hair stylist recommended, and it works fine, it's just not a long term solution. Or at least, If I can find something better I would like to pursue that.

I used to use baking soda rinses years ago, but found that it gave me dandruff. I agree with Lapushka that it is not a good idea for me.

With the rinse, I think I'll take your advice, Cherriezzzzz, and experiment with the amounts and types of vinegar/acid I use.

Chagrin Valley definitely had some bars that my hair liked more than others, so I may give them another try. I know they worked really wonderfully for my mother and sister! I've almost always had the waxy issue, which has been frustrating, especially since my mother and I share shampoo bars and she's never dealt with this issue...

I've never used Lush bars, because they still have sulfates and whatnot. I still have a Godiva bar that I was given and could't use...

Length
    Pixie/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Shampoo bars from Lush aren't soap, but sulfate shampoos. They're very different from what is "supposed" to be a shampoo bar.
    Oh, I didn't know that, I guess at the time I wasn't so careful about what I put in my hair, so I just trusted the nice saleswoman when she recommended a shampoo bar and I didn't pay attention to the ingredients.
    Sorry, my bad if I wasn't of help and thank you Lapushka for making me notice, your posts are always somehow educational

Length
    18/35/46
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    It is generally accepted that baking soda is not a good idea. Just FYI. It is *very* alkaline and can rip the hair apart.
    I know, but it's not scary within shampoo bar users. It's liquid. Clear. I'm NOT advocating using paste consistency. The baking soda is completely dissolved. In ALL my years in hairdressing I've never, ever, had a bad result, really LoL! It's a great clarifier for very cheap.
    Virgin red hair. Last cut Nov. 2016 First goal all one length at tailbone, 36 in.
    --- Isaiah 55 ---
    --- Romans 14:11 ---

Length
    18/35/46
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by sendashi View Post

I've never used Lush bars, because they still have sulfates and whatnot. I still have a Godiva bar that I was given and could't use...
    OOOH ok so use your godiva bar to clarify?! I heard that bar smells amazing! On YouTube coffee&makeup, a loooong haired lady, uses that exact bar I believe!
    Virgin red hair. Last cut Nov. 2016 First goal all one length at tailbone, 36 in.
    --- Isaiah 55 ---
    --- Romans 14:11 ---