Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Dry Shampoo?

Question Favorite Dry Shampoo?

Hey Everyone!

I'm trying to find the "perfect" dry shampoo to help me stretch washes. Right now I've tried Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Unscented and Not Your Mother's Naturals Linseed Chia Blend & French Plum Seed Oil Volume Boost Dry Shampoo. I'm pretty impressed with both these products as they seem to work pretty well for me (so far I like the Naturals brand better) and I hate to admit it but the aerosol spray helps distribute it better. (I've also been using one of these rubber scalp massagers to help distribute it on my scalp--works wonders.)

I'm kind of shopping around for the best fit, though. What do others recommend/like? I'm curious to try a more natural brand but had mixed success when I tried the sprinkle method (I've heard one of those huge makeup brushes to distribute product can help with this, though.)

I'm a 1afi, so something oriented to oily/fine hair is probably going to work best.

Default Re: Favorite Dry Shampoo?

Batiste forever. I've tried a few different brands but Batiste is by far the best. I use it the night before I know I'll need it - like if my hair is juuuust on the edge of greasy and I know it will look worse in the morning. I cover my roots and just let it sit, and rub what's left off in the morning.
    Waist, to shoulder, to pixie, currently at tailbone+

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

There's a Dove one, a Batiste one (several ones in fact), and a Suave one even. I think many brands now do dry shampoo.
    Last edited by lapushka; September 1st, 2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Thanks for the recommend! I've seen Batiste at my drug store and been curious to try it but the number of choices felt kind of overwhelming and I was a little sure from the ingredients whether it would work or not. I will pick up the original brand next time I'm in the store.

Length
    APL/TBL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I also like the batiste -- I use the brown toned ones.
    ~ Not all those who wander are lost ~

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

My favorite, hands down, is the one by Living Proof as part of their Perfect Hair Day collection linked here: http://www.ulta.com/perfect-hair-day...mpprod13031193. But as you can see it's very expensive. Sephora had some of the trial sizes on sale and man oh man do I regret getting one. It works amazingly well, but nothing else has really lived up to it since and I'm not willing to spend that much on dry shampoo.

I also have liked all of the batiste dry shampoos I've used and currently have a Hask one that I like alright, and I've also tried the Not Your Mother's dry shampoo but wasn't impressed. So I'm also searching for a reasonably priced option that works even close to as well as the Living Proof one.

One tip I will give you because I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet is that all the dry shampoos I've used work best when left to sit for a bit before massaging or brushing them out. The most extreme example of this is with Nanny Pauline's airing powder which I usually leave on overnight and brush out in the morning, but even with the Living Proof dry shampoo, it really only worked completely well if I gave it 20 minutes or so to sit on my hair and soak up the oils before I tried brushing it out. Good luck!!
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I like NightBlooming's dry shampoo. It is a powder that you sprinkle rather than a spray, which might not be to everyone's liking, but I find that it's pretty easy to distribute and somehow blends into my hair well even though I'm lazy about brushing it out. I have used a makeup brush but am also lazy about that, I usually just sprinkle it from the container onto my head.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Batiste! Except the dark hair ones tend to get under fingernails if you happen to scratch your head or something.

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Batiste works really well, but is very perfumed and has a strong scent. But for ease and quality and price, it's the best. My second fav is Lush' dry shampoo, it is a powder, and I use the big makeup brush application. I keep an empty Lush jar around that I every now and then dump some of the powder into so that I just stick the brush into the pot and tap of the excess into the pot again.

I find aerosols is best for when you need a quick fix, and the powder best for when you plan on using dry shampoo (when your hair is getting just a tad too oily for going out tomorrow but you don't have time/can't be bothered to wash, so you dust the scalp with dry shampoo in the evening).

I grabbed a bottle of Batiste--I picked the "low scent that won't clash with your perfume" (I personally like my perfume oil to be the ONLY scent that comes off my body if possible... though I've been trying out Garnier's Whole blends conditioner and I like but it smells REALLY strong) but we'll see how it goes when I'm out of NYM Naturals.

After that I"ll try a manual application + makeup brush one. (PixieP's advice is interesting and I'm curious to contrast and compare.) NightBlooming seems like a great place to look, and their teas look great to try. If people are curious, I can report back on the results.