Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping protective scarf/wrap on while sleeping?

Default Keeping protective scarf/wrap on while sleeping?

I tried searching but couldn't come up with any threads for this... if one exists please kindly link me to it! Thank you ^.^

I have so much trouble getting my protective head scarves or wraps on overnight. I always without fail wake up with my braids or buns a mess and my scarf that was meant to protect it somewhere buried in my blankets. I don't know what I'm doing to my head in my sleep. Maybe I'm securing it wrong? I've tried everything from silkies to actual hairnets to do-rags. I just can't make it stay on. I know my pin straight, fine, thin hair is very very slippery (with or without cones) so maybe its just impossible to secure? Any advice would be much appreciated!

I just woke up from a nap and my scarf was on the floor next to my bed and my double french braids were loose all over with layers sticking just waiting to be damaged

Default Re: Keeping protective scarf/wrap on while sleeping?

I meant to say "keeping" my head scarves or wraps on overnight, just to clarify. I'm sorry! Again, thank you for any advice.

Length
    APL/BSL+/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I don't wear a scarf on my head overnight but instead lay the scarf on top of my sheet where my head goes (don't use a pillow).

Could you use hair friendly hair grips to secure the scarf in place?

Finally finished growing out natural colour!

Quote Originally Posted by Dendra View Post
    I don't wear a scarf on my head overnight but instead lay the scarf on top of my sheet where my head goes (don't use a pillow).

Could you use hair friendly hair grips to secure the scarf in place?
    I suppose I could try laying one on my pillow (I don't own a silk case yet, too broke at this point) or the grips are a good idea. What are some good hair friendly grips to try? I'm new at being nice to my hair, sorry if I'm full of questions!

Length
    16.5/16.5/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I heard that a high thread count or satin can be somewhat helpful and a little less expensive, maybe something like that could work?

I wasn't sure about satin, but while my hair is still relatively short it wouldn't hurt to try Thank you floridaorchid.

Length
    waist/TB/long

I have never been able to keep a scarf or any sort of covering over my hair when I sleep. They simply slide off, even those fastened with elastic or ties. For some of us there are no 'tricks'. We just cannot keep them on.

When I first tried sleeping on a silk pillowcase, the whole pillow just slid away onto the floor. I just kept trying, and quite shortly somehow I became used to it, and the pillow stayed in place from then on.

I'm sorry that you have the same problem, Deborah, but I'm glad I'm not alone. I love my silky hair but it can be a serious pain sometimes! Right now my partner and I have this flannel sheet set on our bed and the pillowcase doesn't seem to be damaging my hair as bad as normal cotton, but I think I just need to get a proper pillow case. Hopefully the silk will stay on my bed!

Length
    MBL/TBL/Long
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

I have two methods: usually I just put my eye mask over the cap, which keeps it in place. Otherwise I will do a loose bun on the top of my head with a soft scrunchie and that also keeps it from moving. I have bangs that I leave out of the cap, so the front edge of the cap is actually on the top of my head, which should make it less secure but I never have any issues this way!

Also I wonder if sleeping on one of my numerous very soft-furred stuffed animals (I'm 28 and still have an obsession...) would be more gentle on my hair. They make excellent pillows but I've never tried it. Anyone know how that might do?