Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long hair on the job

Default Long hair on the job

Tell me your work-related long hair stories!

My job is heavily based around work on the computer, so my hair doesn't generate any interest outside typical office social interaction. I'm curious if anyone else's hair has hindered or helped them at work.

Length
    ch/sh/wl
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: Long hair on the job

I have a funny one! I was lifeguarding at my park earlier this summer when I noticed a child drowning. I jumped in right by them and as soon as I came back up my hair, which was in a disc bun held by a waterproof acrylic stick, completely exploded out of the bun all over my and the victim's faces! We had a good laugh about it after I pulled him out.

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Well, and I know I've told this story on many threads before, I work in a lab so hair that is longer than about a pixie or so is a work hazard if worn loose. Even a braid can get caught in machines or swing and knock over chemicals and such, so not a good idea. I've always worn my hair fully up into a bun because I don't want it to get in the way, so I haven't had anything happen to me. But one day in lab the only other lady in the lab with hair longer than shoulder length had her hair in a simple braid and we were working with Bunsen burners that day to sterilize some equipment. Her braid swung around when she was turning to grab something and it swung through the flame and caught on fire. Luckily, her braid was long enough that the flame didn't reach her skin before we got it put out, but she lost a good foot or more of hair and had to cut her hair to about chin or shoulder length. That incident along with hearing other horror stories of a similar nature from co-workers have reaffirmed my rule that I always wear my hair fully up and do not wear any hair toys with sticky outy bits into lab. It's not worth the risk. So yeah, as secure and close to the head as possible lest my hair becomes a hazard in the lab.
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

I once had an agitated patient grab a hair stick out of my hair. After that I switched to spin pins or amish pins only.

just here for the cheese
    Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

O.O these stories

I keep mine up. Occasionally I'll let it down to readjust. Then I get the "your hair is so long" comment. I was biking home from work and some guy yelled at me about how if I'd let my hair down I'd look more feminine. Heh!
    With one religion, we cannot listen. With one color, we cannot see.
    With one culture, we cannot feel. Without you we can't even remember.

I work with young children and they are often fascinated with my hair toys, especially the ones with dangles. Many times I've had them pull at a stick and remove it - or partially so - from my bun. Years ago a little girl with no hair (she just took longer than most to grow it - no illness or treatment caused the hair loss) desperately wanted to put a hair stick in her fuzz. I guess that was one of the best 'compliments' I ever received!

Apart from sticks being removed, I've had food and paint and other messy substances plastered in my hair, had my hair pulled, and have stopped counting the number of times I've brought home head lice from work.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My office horror story: Rolled over it with an office chair. More than once.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    sl/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Other than the odd 'you've cut your hair???' when I used to do faux bobs or buns nobody really said anything Although I did get told off for having wispies once. That was by the manager that wanted me to wear makeup and perfume when I was on a warehouse shift, though
    Proud mama and fiancée
    Chin length

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by animetor7 View Post
    Well, and I know I've told this story on many threads before, I work in a lab so hair that is longer than about a pixie or so is a work hazard if worn loose. Even a braid can get caught in machines or swing and knock over chemicals and such, so not a good idea. I've always worn my hair fully up into a bun because I don't want it to get in the way, so I haven't had anything happen to me. But one day in lab the only other lady in the lab with hair longer than shoulder length had her hair in a simple braid and we were working with Bunsen burners that day to sterilize some equipment. Her braid swung around when she was turning to grab something and it swung through the flame and caught on fire. Luckily, her braid was long enough that the flame didn't reach her skin before we got it put out, but she lost a good foot or more of hair and had to cut her hair to about chin or shoulder length. That incident along with hearing other horror stories of a similar nature from co-workers have reaffirmed my rule that I always wear my hair fully up and do not wear any hair toys with sticky outy bits into lab. It's not worth the risk. So yeah, as secure and close to the head as possible lest my hair becomes a hazard in the lab.
    Same for same reasons. I train students in lab safety and have developed the "eyes in back of head" technique for spotting swishy hair by a flame in the lab.

Occasionally I'll wear it in a braid or half up on days I'm only doing office time work or stopping by for 5 minutes to pick something up. Usually then there's some surprise at the length, if anyone is there.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MsPharaohMoan View Post
    O.O these stories

I keep mine up. Occasionally I'll let it down to readjust. Then I get the "your hair is so long" comment. I was biking home from work and some guy yelled at me about how if I'd let my hair down I'd look more feminine. Heh!
    Because that's all we aim for in life. Feh.

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    My office horror story: Rolled over it with an office chair. More than once.
    Isn't that fun? Massage stool, for me, but I was receiving. My stick had been bothering the therapist and I said she could pull it.
    We trained together, she knew it was long, but not how long...and invasive.

At the end of the day, I let my hair down to start the conversion to my time.
    I get many comments, and some are sweet.
    However, I caught my hair in a door a couple days ago. Ouch.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.