Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are silk bonnets/pillow cases a "necessity"?

Length
    Chin/30/TBL+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Are silk bonnets/pillow cases a "necessity"?

Or are there members here that have never used them and still reached long lengths?

I had a silk pillow case for a bit but it started getting annoying and then im between houses so I ended up needing more than one which would end up being more expensive. Someone then once suggested to me that I buy a silk bonnet or a cap to wear to bed.

Honestly though, I would feel so stupid wearing that... no offense to those of us that wear them. I guess im vain lol
    But I am thinking about buying silk pillow cases (lost my other one) since I got a bit of cash recently. I need to get 2 so I dont want to buy them until I am certain.

But I wanted to ask, if you guys feel something like this helped your growth?
    I braid at night, but I am a tosser. Anyone here never used them and never plan to? I feel like a lot of people here do use them...

Someone else also suggested maybe getting silk ribbon and braiding it in at night like a parandi, but it would not contain my hair so i dont bother lol.

----Pixie---Shoulder---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---CL---->
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Default Re: Are silk bonnets/pillow cases a "necessary"?

I have both. I like the bonnet better because it prevents my hair from getting snagged (eg in my necklace, between mattress and bed, husband pulling on it). I used be vain too about it but one night I forgo the cap and my DH commented how it's easier for him because he doesn't have to worry about pulling my hair
    Current routine: CWC, LOC, Up, Grow

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

LOL! My husband thinks I'm vain when I'm wearing my silk cap. I think I'm comfy.

I expect there are many who don't use special cases or caps.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/30/TBL+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rmani View Post
    I have both. I like the bonnet better because it prevents my hair from getting snagged (eg in my necklace, between mattress and bed, husband pulling on it). I used be vain too about it but one night I forgo the cap and my DH commented how it's easier for him because he doesn't have to worry about pulling my hair
    I guess im lucky in that retrospect, my hair isnt long enough for that yet lol

----Pixie---Shoulder---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---CL---->
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    2"/BCL+/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I didn't ever use anything until I joined LHC, and went out and bought a $5 sleep cap from Sally's that'd been recommended here. I've always had monster tangles because I move a lot in my sleep, and that was generally my main reason for any haircut I've gotten. Sleep cap = like 2 whole tangles for me in the morning, plus overall my hair is softer. I don't know, or frankly care, if it's helped my growth at all. But it has helped with my main problem with my hair, which is why I have converted.

I also like that my hair is contained, which is why I will probably stick with a cap instead of getting a pillowcase. I used to wake up with hair in my mouth way too much, plus my cats looove to pounce on anything that moves and I'd rather that not be my braid

ETA: It's really up to you. I never "needed" one before, and got to about WL with no real problems. My hair is tough (and I love it for that), and I'd just have to deal with lots of tangles. But it's nice now to not have them so much!
    Last edited by Corvana; July 22nd, 2017 at 07:58 PM. Reason: I really need to slow down and make sure I'm finished with all of my thoughts before hitting post...

SL~~~CBL~~~APL~~~BSL~~~WL~~~Hip~~~BCL~~~TBL~~~Classic~~~FTL
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I don't think they are a "necessity". But they do reduce tangling such a lot, plus my hair is confined and in nobody's way (in a sleep cap). Plus DH thinks it looks cute I have been at waist before, when I knew nothing about hair care, and certainly wasn't using one, mind you, my hair is much healthier these days, with knowing how to look after it. It depends how long you want your hair too, of course, as to how much you want to baby it.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    chin/32-33/46"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

No, I've never used them and I don't have any extra tangling or damage. I don't quite get them And I really hate the way silk/satin feels usually D: , I don't even braid my hair at night because it bothers me(But lately I've been waking up by it getting pulled from being trapped under me, So meh it needs to be contained somehow). I was going to buy/make a sleep bonnet but I'm 90% sure they'll bother me too. Living life as a rebel here
    Last edited by Andthetalltrees; July 22nd, 2017 at 08:25 PM.
    Currently mid-back(27") after months of forgetting about it, Going for as long as I can put up with it

I have a satin one and it works fine. Granted I never had a silk one because I don't want to spend the money. I had a tshirt like cotton one and now that I switched over I see the difference. Braids stay in better and far less bed head. Long story short I would recommend a satin one, much cheaper and does basically the same thing.

Length
    CBL/32"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

I don't use them and my hair doesn't seem to need it. I did try it once for a week, I bought a silk button up shirt from a thrift store and buttoned it around my pillow.

Oh! I forgot I cut myself a headband/ scarf wrap from that button up. If I sleep in a high bun I'll tie that around like a headband to protect my nape hair. I use it pretty rarely though.
    Last edited by Rowdy; July 22nd, 2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Forgot
    *Last box dye - 12/2013, Last highlights - 05/2014, Dyed hair gone! - 11/2018 * Goldwell Kerasilk! - 09/16, 04/17, 08/17, 06/18*

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I'm thinking about getting a satin pillowcase because I nuzzle my pillow really aggressively at night. I'm sure that's why my sides hairline is thin. Other than that, I wouldn't need it. My ends are fine.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out between waist and hip⋆