Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobucket change in TOS - unavailable images

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Photobucket change in TOS - unavailable images

Many of use use Photobucket to host the photos we post here on LHC. Photobucket recently changed their TOS and now charge a hefty fee to allow image displays of photos hosted on their service. You may see quite a few images replaced by a gauge and the title "3rd party hosting has been temporarily disabled"

The new TOS for free image hosting now reads:
    Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
    Suggestions of other photo hosting services for those of use who have outgrown our LHC albums?

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Photobucket change in TOS - unavailable images

Welp I'm glad I stopped using PB forever ago... I use imgur now! Free as far as I can tell, and unlike something like tinypic, the URLs aren't recycled so you don't have to worry about posting a hair pic, that getting removed (because last time i used tinypic the URLs only lasted so long before they cleared the image and reused it), and then someone else getting that URL and your picture is now... not yours. I don't know if that's still a thing, of course, but I do still find random broken tinypic links.

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Imgur. Love that service!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

That is absolutely crappy! I have been using their site since 2007, and I have not even gotten an email from them to warn me about this change. All my photos are hosted there. Sounds very strange to not to allow image linking and hosting for a, well, hosting site? The sum that they ask is really quite big too.

There is no way I will replace all the photos I've posted on this forum or elsewhere, though, so I don't take too much stress about it. It's internet after all, hosting sites come and go. But I truly don't like the way they did this, without a fair warning in advance - without ANY communication to me. They just did it.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

I sincerely hope Photobucket has fatally shot themselves in the foot this time and they go out of business... I've detested how their site works for a loooong time - so much so that I refused to ever get an account with them. So happy I didn't.

I personally would recommend Imgur, like a lot of people here. I don't use it for image hosting (I just take screenshots with Trillian a lot of the time), but my husband does and seems pretty happy with it.
    Last edited by twill; June 28th, 2017 at 06:13 PM.

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Grumblegrunch. I think I'll probs use my Google photos thingame then, as well as albums here. I'm only using 0.1GB on PB as I crop and downsize all my pics beforehand, so I'm sooooo annoyed to be losing all the pics posted on here, and PB album sortage. Sometimes the other sites don't load pics for ages on here for me (flickr takes days to show). Grrrr.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I cannot believe PB has done this! I have all my photos stored with them.... I really hope they get such negative feedback they change their greedy policies.... And while I'm at it I LOATHE the way they smother you in advertising whenever you try and do anything.

Awaiting further suggestions for free, easy-to-use alternatives.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

WOW, that is not cool at all. I have .1GB stored there. No way am I paying $40/month to show the one or two pictures I ever post to places! I mostly use it for storage. Guess I'll have to remember my imgur login now.

Length
    BCL/CL+/WTF
    Type
    2a/C/iii

i've been messing around with Imgur and so far it seems really easy, and using the privacy settings doesn't make my pictures not show on here. I haven't tried moving any Photophucket albums over to Imgur yet, i have the photos saved in more than one spot so i'm not feeling any pressure there. But gawd i have so many pictures in my blog, all using Photophucket...

i'm really surprised Photophucket didn't make any announcement about this major change in policy, why the surprise?

Length
    18/23/28
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Just learned this. Gobsmacked. Posting on LHC is the only reason I started with Photobucket, and now they're saying $399 is the least expensive plan to continue 3rd party hosting?!? NO THANK YOU. Assuming I can access my account, I'm staying up late to ensure I've got copies of the stuff I uploaded, and I'm deleting my pics and closing my account.
    Thanks for the imgur recommendation, and I'll see whether there's a Google service I don't yet know about.
    Daaaam........

ETA: Changed my mind. I downloaded my Photobucket library to my PC (compressed file, but that's OK, most are copies of things I already have on the hard drive - I just didn't want to miss anything). But then, before deleting them from the account, I came back here and checked a couple of threads where I have pics, and they're still showing! So I think I'll just leave them there but stop using Photobucket for future posts - check out other options. Maybe Photobucket will realize what a SUPREMELY STUPID move this was and change their minds. I'm really too tired to make a decision, but I know how much I've loved being able to Google old pics of things, so I don't want to totally delete everything if I don't have to.

ETA: For those just getting to this thread, I deleted all of my pics and deleted my account. Now trying to figure out Imgur.
    Last edited by Willowyn; July 1st, 2017 at 03:07 PM.

"Put down roots. Grow strong. Stay flexible."