Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Show me your buns using 4 prong forks.

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Show me your buns using 4 prong forks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrina View Post
    WHOA your collage is stunning!
    Totally picture frame worthy

For some reason it seems 4 prongs aren't as common as 3, but I think I like 4 better
    Aw, thank you! I definitely prefer 4 prongs but there's something about them that seems ~fancy~ so I rarely ever reach for them.

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
    daisy rei you’ve sold me on 4 prong forks! Your collage is stunning! Beautiful hair toys and beautiful buns! Thanks for sharing. Heading off to do some dreaming at Etsy.
    Thank you! Always glad to help with the enablement; let me know if you need recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post
    Super interesting thread. I like the look of 4 prong forks and daisy rey, your collage looks awesome. I have a four prong fork but I'm not sure how to use it. When I try to make an lwb with it, it looks totally out of place. How do you insert the fork? Do you put it differently through the loops than a more narrow fork?
    Thank you! I don't really change anything about my LWB except to wrap it a little looser and I use the bottommost tine of the fork to "drag" the first loop (where you'd normally shove the stick) downwards so that it stretches wide enough to fit the rest of the fork in. Hopefully that made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Ooh that's an excellent collage! I have photos to share, I just need to gather them - making a collage will be so much simpler to post than posting multiple pics here

The 3 similar topped forks on the bottom row, by what maker are they? I can identify most of your others but I've never seen that type before.
    I await your photos with baited breath! Especially any photos of Jeters since there's been such a drought around here with the shop closed.
    Those three forks are actually 60thstreets! The shape is called "Annie" and it's one of my favorite fork designs ever. It has such a fun, retro, kind of seventies vibe, especially with the laminated woods. Jan told me that apparently there are far fewer Annies in existence but I do have my own little hoard of them now, haha.

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Far out, daisy rei, that's a superb collage, and it not only shows the big, shiny buns but how the forks differ (prong spacings and widths, topper sizes, etc.)! Love it!

I haven't shared any 4 prong newness in here for a couple of years. In that time, my hair grew to FTL, then I de-layered it back to BCL earlier this year, so my buns have morphed a teeny bit. I'm back to TBL (and don't want shorter as my fave Celtic Knot bun had become a Celtic Cockatoo Spray), and have some 4 prongers incoming, so may return at a later date to share some more pics.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Super interesting thread. I like the look of 4 prong forks and daisy rey, your collage looks awesome. I have a four prong fork but I'm not sure how to use it. When I try to make an lwb with it, it looks totally out of place. How do you insert the fork? Do you put it differently through the loops than a more narrow fork?
    Finda, do you mean it looks tilted, at an angle? I was given a beautiful 4 prong jeta from Tiny Ponies and when I first tried it on a nautilus it wouldn’t lie flat. I’m not sure if this helps your issue, but I found pushing the fork in a bit below the loop, so not directly on top but sort of in the middle made it lie flatter

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Here’s my effort. Bit messy and sorry about the glamorous buff, it’s cold! Due to my ineptitude, I find it a tad harder to push the fork through my bun than a single stick. However once in place it is so comfortable because of the force distribution, and it doesn’t budge all day

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by daisy rei View Post
    Thank you! I don't really change anything about my LWB except to wrap it a little looser and I use the bottommost tine of the fork to "drag" the first loop (where you'd normally shove the stick) downwards so that it stretches wide enough to fit the rest of the fork in. Hopefully that made sense. .
    Thanks for your answer, and yes, it made sense I think the fork in question might be too wide or my hair not long enough for it yet. The fork fits fine through the first loop which I wrap around my entire hand. The second, however, is usully a bit smaller because the hair is only wrapped around the thumb and when I make the loop larger, I don't have enough hair left to wrap around the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Finda, do you mean it looks tilted, at an angle? I was given a beautiful 4 prong jeta from Tiny Ponies and when I first tried it on a nautilus it wouldn’t lie flat. I’m not sure if this helps your issue, but I found pushing the fork in a bit below the loop, so not directly on top but sort of in the middle made it lie flatter
    Thank you as well That is also part of the problem, yes. I need to give your advice a try. Maybe I'll get it to work. I also find it hard to push through the base.
    Your picture looks really cool. Is that a Nautilus? And the fork is very nice, too.

A general question, are your 4 prong forks the same size as your 2 and 3 prongers or can the length be shorter?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Sarahlabyrinth seems to have a technique by which she can secure buns without necessarily going through the holes on the loops, but I have no idea how she achieves it!

More prongs usually means more width so can be shorter, yes. I find for centreheld buns the same prong length can work for 3 and 4-prong forks but in other buns usually 3-prongers need to be longer.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Thanks for your answer, and yes, it made sense I think the fork in question might be too wide or my hair not long enough for it yet. The fork fits fine through the first loop which I wrap around my entire hand. The second, however, is usully a bit smaller because the hair is only wrapped around the thumb and when I make the loop larger, I don't have enough hair left to wrap around the base.

Thank you as well That is also part of the problem, yes. I need to give your advice a try. Maybe I'll get it to work. I also find it hard to push through the base.
    Your picture looks really cool. Is that a Nautilus? And the fork is very nice, too.

A general question, are your 4 prong forks the same size as your 2 and 3 prongers or can the length be shorter?
    Thanks Finda yes it’s my version of a nautilus, I wrap around fingers not hand. I find the jeta really grabs the hair so it can be quite a push to get it through but is so comfy when it’s in. My hair has a bit of a wave to it and with WO there’s sebum, so getting the prong out the other side of the bun is a bit of an arm workout. I can’t do a bun drop, when I take the stick / fork out the bun remains intact!

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Sarahlabyrinth seems to have a technique by which she can secure buns without necessarily going through the holes on the loops, but I have no idea how she achieves it!

More prongs usually means more width so can be shorter, yes. I find for centreheld buns the same prong length can work for 3 and 4-prong forks but in other buns usually 3-prongers need to be longer.
    I had sort of hoped for such a technique, maybe she sees this
    Okay, thanks, that was my assumption. Maybe I need to be on the lookout for something less monstrous. Because even if I get it to hold it looks a tad bit overpowering

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Thanks Finda yes it’s my version of a nautilus, I wrap around fingers not hand. I find the jeta really grabs the hair so it can be quite a push to get it through but is so comfy when it’s in. My hair has a bit of a wave to it and with WO there’s sebum, so getting the prong out the other side of the bun is a bit of an arm workout. I can’t do a bun drop, when I take the stick / fork out the bun remains intact!
    Ah, from the picture it also lools like the individual prongs are a bit wider? Although I have never tried a jeter myself. The WO routine sounds interesing, I have to say, though, my hair can get so tangled sometimes that a bundrop is also not always happening

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

I have a couple of new 4 prongers, self made. I have a white one and will post it soon.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Oh my, what a pretty blue that is!
    "Do you ever feel like a misfit? Everything inside you is dark and twisted
    but it's okay to be different
    'cause baby, so am I" ~So Am I