Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a widow's peak?

Length
    pixie/Chin-/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i

Default Do you have a widow's peak?

I have always been fascinated with hair, but my least favourite part is without a doubt the hairline. It is a concept that isn't really mentioned much here, so Here is the question, Do you have a widow's peak or not? According to Wikipedia, "A widow's peak is a V-shaped point in the hairline in the center of the forehead."

I have a widow's peak, and it is very defined. Hopefully this isn't a sign of baldness.
    Lord Skáld, War Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    "I did not hit her It's not true It's bs I did not hit her I did naht Oh hai Mark"Tommy Wiseau

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Do you have a widow's peak?

I do! But it's very undefined, and it's only really visible if my hair is slicked back. I don't think it's really a sign of baldness, though? My son has one, and he's only 7 so I doubt he's going bald

Your widow's peak growing, or becoming more defined, than previously could be a sign, though. But just having one I don't think means much at all!

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

No, but my boyfriend does. I love it!
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    pixie/Chin-/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by lithostoic View Post
    No, but my boyfriend does. I love it!
    Yeah! That's I guess a win for widowed dudes

Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    I do! But it's very undefined, and it's only really visible if my hair is slicked back. I don't think it's really a sign of baldness, though? My son has one, and he's only 7 so I doubt he's going bald

Your widow's peak growing, or becoming more defined, than previously could be a sign, though. But just having one I don't think means much at all!
    It's not really growing, so for now I'm good!
    "I did not hit her It's not true It's bs I did not hit her I did naht Oh hai Mark"Tommy Wiseau

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

As I recall from my ninth-grade biology class, having or not having a widow's peak is a genetic trait; I don't have one myself, and I don't think anyone in my family does either.

I'm not sure having a widow's peak has anything to do with losing one's hair. I think they are two separate genetic traits. Male pattern baldness at least is a genetic trait that passes through the maternal line; that is, if you're male and the men in your mother's family (your maternal grandfather, your mother's brothers if any, etc.) lost their hair, you're genetically at risk for losing yours.
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I have a small one but I've been plucking it since I was about thirteen.

Length
    pixie/Chin-/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I have a small one but I've been plucking it since I was about thirteen.
    Don't pluck it. It probably looks great on you!

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRose View Post
    As I recall from my ninth-grade biology class, having or not having a widow's peak is a genetic trait; I don't have one myself, and I don't think anyone in my family does either.

I'm not sure having a widow's peak has anything to do with losing one's hair. I think they are two separate genetic traits. Male pattern baldness at least is a genetic trait that passes through the maternal line; that is, if you're male and the men in your mother's family (your maternal grandfather, your mother's brothers if any, etc.) lost their hair, you're genetically at risk for losing yours.
    All the men on my mom's side of the family have full heads of hair, but my father is bald. That's why I was a little concerned! Thanks for the extra Clarification AZ!

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

You're welcome, papayatree.

Any son I ever had (and that ship has long since sailed) would have been in the male-pattern-baldness boat; my father's hairline receded, my mother's brother jokes that his forehead is now a "five-head," and my own youngest brother does what I call the Preemptive Strike and shaves his head entirely rather than have a horseshoe-shaped hairline!
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    pixie/Chin-/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertRose View Post
    You're welcome, papayatree.

Any son I ever had (and that ship has long since sailed) would have been in the male-pattern-baldness boat; my father's hairline receded, my mother's brother jokes that his forehead is now a "five-head," and my own youngest brother does what I call the Preemptive Strike and shaves his head entirely rather than have a horseshoe-shaped hairline!
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the shaved head/baldo look

I don't have a widows peak, but wish I did! I think they're beautiful. I also don't think they mean impending hair loss. Just a genetic trait, like how some people have a hitchhiker's thumb while others don't.
    Chin > SL > APL > BSL > WL