Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Frequent washers - a question for you!

Length
    HL/HL+/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Frequent washers - a question for you!

This is an old thread, but I feel like bumping it, because this topic has been on my mind a lot lately. For a while now, I've insisted on washing no more often than 72 hours (48 if it's really important, for example if I'm going somewhere important the following day) and preferably even longer than that, because I WCC, take a good time to distribute the conditioners, use a lot of product and leave them on for a long time. Using all that product costs a bit of money (even though I use low range conditioners) and it takes a ridiculously long time. Money is important, but in the end "it's just money" - however, that time I could be using dabbling in something important instead. Hair is important, too, yes, but I feel like with this being so repetitive, it's leaning towards being a waste of my time.

Thing is, I really want to have the freedom to wash every other day if I so desire. My hair is definitely at its best on wash day and the following day. Approaching 48 hours, the roots start to get oily. My scalp acts the same as the skin on my face. I have combination skin, which gets dry when washed and I have to moisturise it, but becomes oily very soon after, and can be both dry and oily at the same time. Recently I've suffered from an itchy scalp (nothing major, just a small scratch is enough and I don't bleed or anything, it's just annoying). It SEEMS to be a bit better soon after washing my scalp, but I am really not sure about that.

I might soon try and see how my hair fares with just one conditioner. I'm thinking of using those Garnier Respons/Ultimate Blends/Wholeblends conditioners for that, as they contain one of my favourite silicones (amodimethicone) as well as actual hydrating and nutritious ingredients. I use a lot of leave-ins now, so I might just be able to get away with it. Maybe.
    Never kneel down to the holy cross
    Never bow down to their lord.
    Started 2019 with a chop from TBL to hip+, shooting for Classic by Yule/Christmas 2020

Length
    14/32/32
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I stretch washes by using a boar bristle brush.

Length
    14/23/38
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I wash my hair every other day since I have memory, its been like that my whole life and its what works for me.
    My hair type is oily roots.
    My hair feels the best on wash days, its smooth, soft and shiny, the next day is "aceptable" but the next day after will be all dull, flat and very oily roots, just nasty, thats why I have to wash it every other day, there is no way I can stretch my wash one more day.
    During the summertime I wash it every single day.
    For washing it so often my hair has never been dry at all.
    I also use hair mask everytime I wash my hair, normally I use the "fast ones", the 1-3 minutes hair mask and I do deep condition, over 2 hours on the weekends.

I do spend alot of money on shampoos and hair products (hair mask specially) but I dont mind, its more like an obsession (and I enjoy it hahaha), but if I was to buy one bottle of shampoo of 400ml it will last exactly 1 month for me.

I really enjoy washing my hair, its like an anti-stress therapy for me, so its not an inconvenient at all to wash so often
    Last edited by browntatis; January 11th, 2019 at 11:54 PM.

18"-20"-22"-23"-26"-28"-30"-32"-34"-36"-38"
    https://www.instagram.com/_pocahts_88/

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/HL+/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think my scalp is very similar to Ylva's. I wash every third day too, days 1 or 2 are nice, third day is grease day. Sometimes less, sometimes it's full-blown oil apocalypse (depends on the day of my cycle).

I used to wash every other day. If I do so now, I feel guilty, because my hair doesn't look oily by the end of day 2. I just feel like I'm torturing it for no reason.

And yes, washing my hair with my routine every two days would be an awful burden. Not even money-wise. I spend an hour in the shower, and then three more hours getting it at least halfway dry before going to bed. It takes me an entire evening, if I do it any more frequently I'd have no life. I wear my hair up and braided most of the time, so one slightly oily day isn't a big deal.
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ BCL ~ TBL ~ CL
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018
    Sulfates and Silicones

Length
    ChL/SL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I usually wash 2 times a week. I find my second day hair the best and after the third day my scalp starts getting oily and itchy, so i have to wash.
    My hair is rather frizzy on wash day, so i wouldn't say it's the best...
    ChL-SL-APL-BSL-WL-HBL-TBL ........
    12 months dye free
    "When it rains, everything grows..."

Length
    24/29/40
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii

My washing is more about the condition of my scalp than hair. With the products I use a wash day is fine and the second is maybe a bit less poof but ok too. The third day is usually a wash day again, I haven't been able to stretch it any further these days because my scalp starts itching. A bit of doing something that makes me sweat irritates my scalp too, so I need to wash it whenever.

APL --- BSL --- MBL --- Waist --- Hip --> ?

Length
    19/27/33
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I wash 2-3 times a week. Days 1 and 2 are great, day 3 can be a good hair day too but by day 4 it's oily at the roots and ends get hard/crispy. I would probably try wash less often but my scalp would not like that.
    Growing to APL!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Knee/Calf+
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Ylva my face does exactly the same as yours - the only method I've found to somewhat regulate it is using an oil-based cleanser, then toner then light moisturiser. I haven't had the energy to do it for a really long time though.

I currently wash ~twice a week, one full wash and one scalp wash to keep it from itching because I'm at home most of the time. However that is stretching washes and if I need to look presentable (e.g. when I was at work), the scalp needs washing every other day. My lengths really don't need washing that often so they still get washed ~weekly, and I wash at night.

Day 1 hair is fluffy and kind of poofy - it's great if I get the bun right the first time, but it doesn't really want to be manipulated any more than that. Day 2 hair is nice, and by day 3 the lengths are great, usually. But of course evening of day 2 would be a scalp wash if I needed to go anywhere on day 3.

My current full wash routine doesn't take too long - everything is done in the shower except the occasional pre-poo, which is fine because I can still get on and do other stuff while the oil or conditioner sits on my head. In the shower is C-W-ROO-C and that's it. Second C sits a while whilst I wash the rest of me.

That keeps the lengths happy for at least a week but if I miss day 7 (e.g. if I've only scalp washed on day 5) they're happy to go a couple of extra days. Sometimes my lengths are so happy that I wish I could do a thorough scalp wash and feel just as clean without getting the lengths wet, but oh well.
    Knee by 'Nineteen - hooray! Tiny trim and now onto Calf!
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair - phew

Length
    -/-/-
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I usually wash my hair every other day, I do go longer if I don't need it to look presentable. Much like Stray_mind, wash day hair is usually frizzy (I live in a very humid climate), my second day hair looks great and from there on it begins to look oily. I don't have any issues with my scalp getting itchy though.
    ~

Length
    ~bsl/class/knee?
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

I wash daily, I've tried to stretch my washes before but my scalp produces so much oil that I'm sure it's a fire hazard lol. My hair behaves best as soon as it dries and gets more and more slippery as the day goes on, which for me is a bad thing because my buns stop holding and my braids shred like crazy.
    Classic-Fingertip-Knee?
    World's Most Fragile Hair, for the World's Most Fragile Person