Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing differently, since joining the LHC?

Length
    BSL/BCL/BCL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Default Re: What are you doing differently, since joining the LHC?

LHC completely changed my hair care and the condition of my hair for the better.

I no longer use any heat. It was so hard to give up the flat iron but now I have no desire at all to use it.

I don't wear my hair down all the time anymore. It is only recently that I've been wearing it down again a little more often since I cut back to hip. I learned a lot of great updos and became very good at all kinds of braiding.

I oil my hair after washing (LOC method) to seal in moisture and it literally changed everything. My hair is no longer frizzy and I no longer have pieces breaking off. I now love my wavy texture.

I learned my hair likes a more clarifying shampoo and a moisture rich conditioner but hates silicones.

I no longer go to the salon for trims.

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

What am I doing differently? Stalking etsy. Lol!

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I lurked for a long time before I became active here a year ago, so the info I've found on the LHC has influenced the way I take care of my hair for a long time. From my late teens to early-mid 20s, I did CWC, oiled my hair, used hair-friendly tools and protective styles, and did not bleach or use heat. After I cut my waist length hair very short in 2009 and started dyeing it, it got damaged from bleaching and flat ironing and I went through a period of not taking very good care of myself (or my hair). My hair felt like straw, I had major shedding, and I developed scalp problems. When I joined here, I cut out the damaged ends in a few stages and ended up with a long pixie. At the same time I started doing scalp massages every night with castor and essential oils, and started seeing a ton of new growth. I experimented with different products and wash methods, beginning with a switch back to sulfate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner. Then I tried oil shampoo, then did WO for a long time, then back to shampoo and conditioner but I started diluting it pretty heavily, and now mostly I do herb or rye washes.

When I joined I also stopped trimming, started wrapping my hair in a silk scarf at night, learned how to use a BBB properly (though I mostly just fingercomb), started sectioning my hair to wash it, and began using a t-shirt to dry my hair. I also learned how to use oils in a way that works best for my hair, and realized that despite being able to stretch washes, my scalp is happiest if I wash twice a week. Really there's a lot and I could probably go on and on but that is what comes immediately to mind

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pastina View Post
    What am I doing differently? Stalking etsy. Lol!

And this!!!

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    BCL/CBL/hmm
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Air drying and finger combing. Of course I knew to do these things I just never did! The people here at LHC gave me the inspiration and motivation I needed!

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I gave up my brush for a comb, and now I've mainly given combs up for fingercombing. I also wear my hair up/contained most of the time now, including when I sleep, which helps immensely with tangles. I've also stopped trimming, just doing S&D now. I've also learned to be much more gentle with my hair in general, as well as a ton of information about alternate cleaning and conditioning methods.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've tried a number of things, but what I kept is diluting my shampoo most of the time, also using a clarifying shampoo about once a month or so, depending on how much I'm using styling products.

Before LHC, all I wanted was to grow super-long hair, and I did that, but it wasn't as much fun as I had imagined. Now I'm going for every other month haircuts to maintain a slightly angled, shoulder length bob, which is even more fun than I imagined.

Length
    3/8"/waist/???
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Learned how to do buns
    Learned to TRIM my hair....... Always before I'd grow it out to BSL or even longer, get frustrated for whatever reason, and buzz-cut my head with the #3 clipper blade. Being able to self trim; and to do layers or shape my hemline as I desire, has hopefully opened up the possibility of longer hair than my current WL!

Length
    15/47/48
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I never knew hair sticks were a thing people actually used, and had never seena hair fork in my life. I now have over 40 hair toys >.>
    APL~BSL~WL~HL~BCL~TBL~CL!!!
    Lady Arete of The Waltzing Blades in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    neck/mbl/Tbl
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Completely different hair care. I no longer straighten my hair or use heat. I now always comb my hair with a wide tooth comb while conditioner is in it in the shower and let it dry without touching it- this has been the best change for my hair. However, before lhc I couldn't let my hair air dry because of the damage. Since lhc, I also went through a long no sulfate phase, but now I switch back and forth. I now also oil my hair and do deep treatments. I hennad for about a year but have since grown it out. I wear buns and braids frequently now instead of pony tails, or clip my hair up. Also, I rarely trim my hair. I went 1 1/2 years without a trim recently. When I go into a salon now, I notice their treatment of hair and some of it scares me, which I never noticed before lhc. Also, ive stopped dyeing my hair with harsh dyes, and I've grown out my natural color. It's amazing when I think about how much my regimen has changed. My next goal is waist length hair and beyond.