Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing part position

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Changing part position

I've been wondering if keeping your part in the same place can cause more thinning or breakage (due to more manipulation). I see articles saying you should change it and why, but nothing scientific.

I think my part is thinning slightly but it's hard to tell sometimes. I wonder if maybe this is one of those things that's ymmv and those with already thin hair might need to be more aware/careful than those with lots of hair. I'll be trying it but I'm curious what others think.

Link to article

Length
    24/33/40
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Changing part position

In my experience, I think keeping it in the same position can be damaging. I have had my hair in a middle parting for years and the top layer is quite damaged, but when I flick my parting over to a side parting, the hair looks really soft and in good condition.

Possible that the damage is because the top layer of hair is more susceptible to sun and wind damage so exposing the other layers by using a differing parting hides the damaged layer.... if that makes sense? Haha

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

My scalp hurt when I tried to change my part so I gave up on it pretty quickly. Curious if it works for others.

Length
    N/A/67/84/Termi
    Type
    3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    My scalp hurt when I tried to change my part so I gave up on it pretty quickly. Curious if it works for others.
    Ophidian I think it is normal for the soreness when you change your path. As the hair muscle or is it follicle muscle are being exercised whereas before it was laying waste. This is just my opinion.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I have had my part in the exact same place for over 40 years (I'm 45). I have experienced no thinning of the sort. I think the article(s) = baloney. I think it more depends on what else it is you're doing to the hair. Like tight styles all while having it parted a certain way. That might cause problems. But to say that a part is responsible for thinning. I don't think so. I would be bald by now.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/32-33/46"
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I have had my part in the exact same place for over 40 years (I'm 45). I have experienced no thinning of the sort. I think the article(s) = baloney. I think it more depends on what else it is you're doing to the hair. Like tight styles all while having it parted a certain way. That might cause problems. But to say that a part is responsible for thinning. I don't think so. I would be bald by now.
    I have a very strong natural part and I usually don't care about changing it unless it's by accident. I'm definitely not bald or notice any more damage. I don't see how it really could affect anything
    Currently mid-back(27") after months of forgetting about it, Going for as long as I can put up with it

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Andthetalltrees View Post
    I have a very strong natural part and I usually don't care about changing it unless it's by accident. I'm definitely not bald or notice any more damage. I don't see how it really could affect anything
    Natural part here too (starts at a cowlick in front and just, well the hair just parts there). I think maybe all the other things should be considered first, like straightening, curling, pulling it back tightly, etc.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

My hair naturally parts in the center. It's always been that way. I've experienced no thinning or damage. I agree with lapushka, all other things should be considered first.

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I have a natural slightly off of middle natural part too. And a cowlick on my hairline and by my crown just to keep things interesting. I don't use any heat myself, but due to the damage my hair is more fragile than it's normal state. I'm growing out my bangs (for now) and they aren't quite long enough to get in my bun (so close though) so the default each day is let the hang and call them face framing layers. But if i part my hair on either side i can see that most definitely my middle part is wider. I'm going to be seeing my GP soon and will bring it up to make sure there is nothing more going on. In the meantime today i have a deep side part and will be making an effort to give the centre part a rest and see what happens.

I think part of my problem is that my hair is still short so while i can get a few styles of buns to stay, they all have to sit on roughly the same place on my head because that's the only place all my hair stays in. Once i get more length i can have more versatility in my styling and this will be a moot issue.

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

That theory makes no sense to me. My hair naturally parts in the middle and rarely do I alter that.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆