Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buns and Scrunchies

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Angry Buns and Scrunchies

I am really limited to hair toys and accessories, so I was wondering, how can I put my air into a bun using a scrunchie? I don't like using elastic hair bands as they tend to damage my hair. I've been struggling to put my hair into a bun, but I am not sure how to do it. I searched the site and cannot seem to find any info. Any advice?
    Cut about 12 inches off of my hair this year. Now finally growing my mane back!

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Buns and Scrunchies

I only just figured out how to do mine this way for sleeping... What I found was I needed almost to do a beebutt bun on the top of my head, and wrap the scrunchie around it once, then twist the scrunchie and wrap it again, in a slightly different place on the beebutt. It works well for me, and is quite comfy for sleeping in summer.

Mostly though, it's the twist I give to my hair that makes it work, I twist the hair like a rope almost, before making the beebutt. I don't think it would work with out that twisting. My hair's so slick and slippery.

Length
    ears/36.5/Knees
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I use scrunchies on my buns all the time. I put a scrunchie in to make a ponytail. Then I twist the entire ponytail untill it starts to wrap on itsself at the ponytail scrunchie.

Then I keep twisting the rest of the ponytail and let it wrap itself around and around untill I get to the last few inches. This tail part I wrap tightly under therest of the bun, so that it gets tucked in next to the poytail scrunchie.

Then, I wrap a scrunchie tightly behind/under the bun itself to tie down the ends. If I use an older stretched out scrunchie I have enough to twist and wrap around the coiled part of the bun. If I used a new scrunchie I have to use another towrap once around the coils.

Another idea, I have been doing lately. I have a couple of small jaw clips. I will do everything the same as above untill the last 2 scrunchies. After I get done wraping the bun, I will clip a jaw clip in to catch the top coils, scalp hair that goes into the ponytail, and the spring sets over the ends. It took me a few times to get this right but I like it.

CindyLea

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I nealy always use a scrunchie to hold a bun, i gather my hair as if making a ponytail, then twist it up then wrap it around itself tucking the ends in at the bottom then just wrap the scrunchie around it.
    I expect i explained that very badly though.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    2c/M/ii

When my hair was shorter but still long ( ) - maybe just above bra strap length? I'd make a ponytail then coil it around and secure with a scrunchie.

Just last week, I tried the sock bun with a thick scrunchie and it worked perfectly

Length
    14/29/45
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I will pull my hair back as if to put it into a pony tail, twist it until there aren't a tong of flyaways and it all seems to be pretty well contained, but not so much as to put any major pressure on my scalp. Then I twist it into a regular bun, tuck the tail in as best as i can then start my scrunchie where the tail is, wrap around once, turn it in two and wrap around a second time. When I first started using scrunchies it took a few tries to get it to stay well, but after I learned how to do it well it became easy. Good luck!
    Growing for floor length in five years!

Length
    Short/35/Long
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

A scrunchie bun, it's super easy.

If your familiar with twisting your hair for a bun, all you need to do once it's twisted up is to slip the scrunchie over the top of the bun, twist it and slip it over again.
    Make sure you get it all the way down to the base of the bun.

If you need more explanation on how to twist the bun, just let us know.

Michelle

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    I only just figured out how to do mine this way for sleeping... What I found was I needed almost to do a beebutt bun on the top of my head, and wrap the scrunchie around it once, then twist the scrunchie and wrap it again, in a slightly different place on the beebutt. It works well for me, and is quite comfy for sleeping in summer.

Mostly though, it's the twist I give to my hair that makes it work, I twist the hair like a rope almost, before making the beebutt. I don't think it would work with out that twisting. My hair's so slick and slippery.
    I've tried this, but it just doesn't seem to work. I twist it, but it never holds.

Type
    2a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by crazy me View Post
    I will pull my hair back as if to put it into a pony tail, twist it until there aren't a tong of flyaways and it all seems to be pretty well contained, but not so much as to put any major pressure on my scalp. Then I twist it into a regular bun, tuck the tail in as best as i can then start my scrunchie where the tail is, wrap around once, turn it in two and wrap around a second time. When I first started using scrunchies it took a few tries to get it to stay well, but after I learned how to do it well it became easy. Good luck!
    Yeah, it's kind of aggravating the first few times I try. I've gotten it before, but then it pulls on some areas of my scalp and isn't very secure to my head, I'll keep trying.

I do it all the time with a bee butt bun