Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: style with the least amount of damage potential

Length
    36/42/60
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default style with the least amount of damage potential

I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best style that causes the least amount of damage? When I am around the house and to sleep at night, I twist it on the top of my head and then put a lobster claw clasp over the very ends (so the bun portion stays on top of my head and has no clasp) it stays fairly well, but it looks terrible!

Any other suggestions? I really want to know what others have had success with while growing out there hair that gave them little to no damage.

thanks!!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: style with the least amount of damage potential

For sleeping I wear my hair loose inside a silk sleeping cap, it works wonders.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    36/42/60
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

I am going to try this. Do you gather it up in a psuedo-bun? Do you comb it all out first? Is it tangled in the morning? thanks!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Well, if it is bunned during the day I just take the fork or hair stick out and put the sleep cap right over it and go to bed. I don't comb it first. It only gets combed in the morning once I am dressed. I then take the cap off and comb my hair out. There are never any tangles
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

A loose braid comes to mind. Or a peacock twist, if your hair is still shorter and can't be bunned yet. Or, a loose cinnabun or LWB (lazy wrap bun).

When I was still growing from shoulder, I wore a peacock twist (later more log roll-like) from shoulder-APL to hip. At that point I could start to bun and have been wearing a LWB since, each day every day. And there's been no damage even after more than 2 years of this. I don't tighten it, though, I wear it loose, but not so loose it falls out - if that makes sense.

At night it's just loose, so it can "breathe" a little.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I've been wearing my silk sleep cap around the house too. It's 100% protective. I've noticed it really keeps my hair smooth and clean for longer periods of time. I feel my hair is really too thin/fine for buns so I wear a side braid usually and a claw clip as my 3rd choice. I can't say I love how any of these look but for around the house, I feel just fine. I'd say for sleeping a silk pillowcase or a silk cap has made quite a difference in reducing damage and friction in my easily tangled hair.

Length
    waist/TB/long

For me a bun is the most protective daytime style, and a single braid down the back works best for sleeping. I cannot keep anything on my head when I sleep, so sleeping caps don't work. They end up lost in the bedding or on the floor. I can sleep on a silk pillowcase though, and that seems protective too.

Length
    JBL/SL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    A loose braid comes to mind. Or a peacock twist, if your hair is still shorter and can't be bunned yet. Or, a loose cinnabun or LWB (lazy wrap bun).

When I was still growing from shoulder, I wore a peacock twist (later more log roll-like) from shoulder-APL to hip. At that point I could start to bun and have been wearing a LWB since, each day every day. And there's been no damage even after more than 2 years of this. I don't tighten it, though, I wear it loose, but not so loose it falls out - if that makes sense.

Googling all of these now. lol

Hennahead
    - Looking for more natural ways to care for my hair
    Asymmetrical shave | JBL | SL | APL| BSL | WL

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

My favorite is a braided bun, based on a simple English braid that's not too tight. This allows me to take a stick/fork out whenever necessary (e.g. for the night) and then reuse/rebun the same braid in the morning with minimal manipulation and minimal tangling.
    The bun itself will depend on the length of hair, e.g. my progression with length went like this: folded braid, braided cinnabun, braided LWB, braided L-Infinity.

Coronet braid (faux crown braid) is great for minimal manipulation, too, but it tends to require more complex pinning/fixing to prevent sliding on me.

Length
    .5 in/21 in/??
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post

Question about the bolded part. What do you use every day to hold your LWB? A hairstick? what about at night? Just wondering because I haven't mastered wearing a hairstick every day and cant figure out how I would use one at night.