Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "You looked better when your hair was short"

Length
    Chin/MBL/Wl
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default "You looked better when your hair was short"

My Mom said this to me the other day when looking at my hair. I'm not upset but kind of just disappointed. Its like you work so hard to try and grow your hair, taking care of it, trying new methods, etc. and then people just say things like that. And the truth is she is right. I know I looked better with short hair. I looked younger and my face was framed better and I miss that. But I'm trying something new because its fun and exciting. And you know what I think I still look pretty good! (Plus on those days I miss my short I hair I just tuck it into my shirt or pin it up and presto you got short hair)

I just felt the need to share this. I know its kind of ranty . Have you ever experienced times like these? I'm sure many of you have.
    Chin~Cbl~Apl~BSL~Mbl~Wl~Hip~Bcl...
    Hit Full BSL/High MBL. Entering the MBL abyss.
    Last mini-trim: 3/16/17

Length
    23/25/30
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i

Default Re: "You looked better when your hair was short"

I personally think i look better with shorter hair but i am having fun growing it out a bit. however for me i wouldnt go too long - if i ever feel i dont look good my length of hair i would shorten it. however that is not the reason many people have long hair - i like the feel of it for a start

Length
    Chin/Waist/Butt
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I hear this all the time from my mother, uuurgh.

But I actually think I look better with long hair, so I cheerfully ignore her! Plus my other half likes my long hair, bonus.

|| 6 monthly trims since July 2015 || Finger combing since March 2017 || Combating
    thin fine hair & excessive shedding || Goal: buttcrack with blunt hem ||

I find comments like this highly annoying and disheartening. I can relate to this in the way that when I started going to my natural color, I had a few people tell me how I looked much better with my dyed black hair. Some people are uncomfortable with change or want to keep you the same forever. If you truly believe you look better with short or long hair, that's all that matters.

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I used to have a friend (I use that term loosely) and she told me constantly how much better I looked with a pixie. What she failed to understand was that the pixie was never by choice, it was me making the most of my hair growing back post chemo and the whole thing was traumatic. She never failed though to remind me that she (and her bf) thought I was so much prettier then.

Eta: sorry i have no advice or words of wisdom. Basically anyone who doesn't like what i do with my own hair can stick it lol.
    Last edited by Hay_jules; March 22nd, 2017 at 12:17 PM.

Length
    BSL/Chin/Chin
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Oh yeah, that's really annoying. When I had long hair, my mom would say that to me every now and then. I definitely do look better with short hair, I love my current short 'do, but I think I looked nice with long hair too. I wish people would keep those kind of opinions to themselves, unless I ask them if they think I look better with short or long hair.
    However, the only thing that matters is how you view yourself. If you prefer long hair, grow it long!
    Thunder and lightning won’t change what I’m feeling, and the daffodils look lovely today
    From tbl+ to short bob

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Oh, yes, my mother and one of my sisters used to always tell me this (also saying that long hair made me look like a witch or a hippie). I have chosen to ignore those remarks and they have realised that I won't be cutting my hair short, and have given up saying these things.

They are hurtful things to say though.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    2a/C/ii

Yes, my mother think I looked the best in a short bob-type hairstyle, shorter in the back and so on. I also think I look the best in hair that ends just beneath the chin, but it's such a hassle to care for when it's my hair. My hair needs length to behave.

Length
    Hip/Pixie/Fun
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My mom doesn't like long hair either. I don't think that people who say you look better with short hair are automatically right. Everyone has their own bias. My mom has never liked long hair.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You can tell her she's entitled to her opinion but so are you.