Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2017: Palmier Bun

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default March 2017: Palmier Bun

Our Bparnell invented this one.

Original photo here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...=1#post3350267

Description of how to form the bun:
    Let me see if I can describe it. pony goes under two fingers and up and around them. Then making the shape of a figure eight around the thumb and back round the original two fingers over and over until the length is used up. tightly holding the hair around the two fingers slip it off and put the fork right into the middle of that first loop, under original pony and through the loop that came off of the thumb. I kinda squeeze the two loops together as I put on the fork. Neither arm ever goes over the head. That's the best I can do. I will work on camera and way to record a tutorial then post it........THE PALMIER "NO BUN" BUN.
    (From this post.)

Input from Wispe
    Okay, I had to try it out for myself because reasons. I think I got it! I can hold it with a fork but all mine obscure the loops, which kind of defeats the point IMO, so I tried and just managed it with a stick, but it's less secure this way. The way it wraps likes to stick out weird from a side view, but it is minimized if I twist the tail before wrapping around the fingers. I suspect if I had a french barrette or smaller slide I could pin that bump down right above the bun and it'd look fine, but I don't own any clips like that as they all just slip right out of my hair. I get better hold and less of a hump if I braid nearly down to the nape, then twist/bun the remainder and make sure the stick goes under/through the last stitch of the braid...
    (From this post.)

Might be tricky with longer hair. If you come up with modifications to accommodate length, share!

If anyone makes a video and shares, I'll add the link here.
    ETA: Wispy made a video!
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; March 13th, 2017 at 10:31 AM.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    hip/apl/ftl?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: March 2017: Palmier Bun

I've gained a little length since I first did this and I've had recent success by wrapping my 'tail' around the base of the bun after I run out of room on my fingers (I currently wrap once around my fingers, once around the thumb, then bring the tail under the first loop and start to wrap around the base). Feels more secure, solves that issue I was thinking of using a barrette for initially, and would probably be a good way to use up some extra length. I can try to make a video sometime, if there's interest.

edit: quick pics of my Palmier Swirl variation~
    Last edited by wispe; March 3rd, 2017 at 06:12 PM.

Length
    APL/BCL+/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

It looks super pretty but I have no clue what I'm doing! As soon as a video can be made I will give it a go.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by wispe View Post
    I've gained a little length since I first did this and I've had recent success by wrapping my 'tail' around the base of the bun after I run out of room on my fingers (I currently wrap once around my fingers, once around the thumb, then bring the tail under the first loop and start to wrap around the base). Feels more secure, solves that issue I was thinking of using a barrette for initially, and would probably be a good way to use up some extra length. I can try to make a video sometime, if there's interest.

edit: quick pics of my Palmier Swirl variation~
    Please DO MAKE A VIDEO. i JUST DO NOT HAVE THE EQUIPMENT.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    hip/apl/ftl?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dvep View Post
    It looks super pretty but I have no clue what I'm doing! As soon as a video can be made I will give it a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    Please DO MAKE A VIDEO. i JUST DO NOT HAVE THE EQUIPMENT.
    I'll try to make one in the next few days; my phone has a camera that should get the job done. I'm just waiting on this bit of eczema on my jaw/neck to heal a little so I don't look diseased while I film, LOL.

Length
    APL/BCL+/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by wispe View Post
    I'll try to make one in the next few days; my phone has a camera that should get the job done. I'm just waiting on this bit of eczema on my jaw/neck to heal a little so I don't look diseased while I film, LOL.
    I have SD so I totally know what you're talking about! No worries!

Length
    Chin/37"/TBL+?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

It's really pretty! My Houdini hair prevents me from wearing buns as often, but I'd love to give this a try with some video assistance from wispe when she's ready.
    <- Me, bellydancing in HAIR ~ currently BCL but longer is better

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

i think this is an updo that is great for those of us who have thin hair with fairy tale ends. A thick blunt cut would make it difficult.
    I have tail bone length, Pony thickness is about the same as my pointer finger. This is the same as my Avatar pic
    Last edited by bparnell75; March 4th, 2017 at 11:16 PM.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

The original bun was created out of a necessity to redo hair discretely in public without raising arm over my head.

the Wispe variation is prettier and solves the problem of longer ends but it does require the arm going above the head. Anyway I tried it for church this morning. I think i will keep it as one of my stock buns.

Estas mi Esperantist' languagenut's Avatar
    Length
    baby/bcl/dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

No success so far; not sure if I'm doing it wrong, or if the combination of thick hair and small hands just isn't working out for me.