Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to not overdo S&D?

Length
    16/20/26
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default How to not overdo S&D?

How often does everyone here S&D and for how long each time? I do once a week at the moment for about an hour but I've read that this might thin my hair too much?

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: How to not overdo S&D?

I don't think an hour a week is something to worry about too much, especially if you have only recently started. I found that after a while I was finding fewer and fewer splits, therefore limiting the amount of S&Ding I could do. One member here whose name escapes me right now limited herself to cutting 5 splits a day, and now she really had to search to find 5.

It also depends on how damaged your hair is. If your hair is bleached and fried, you will find many more splits in an hour than someone who hasn't dyed, heat treated, or otherwise damaged their hair.
    Maintaining at classic in 2017

Length
    15/28/35
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

I don't go any longer than about 15-30 mins at a stretch but that might just be me. That said, I also don't s&d more than once or twice a month, so take this advice as a suggestion only
    ​So...knee?

Length
    16/20/26
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

My hair is damaged from bleach (last June) and dye (last October). I do find a lot of splits in the hour and my hair is medium density anyway. I think I will try and stick to doing it once every two weeks though.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That all depends on how much you take off. If it's a few hairs every time, no need to worry, but if it's 20 or 30, that is too much! Might be better to go for a trim if you have to take that much off that's not healthy. Not every hair is a damaged hair. Make sure you only get splits and white dots (up a strand).

When I still had a perm, half of my hair was riddled in white dots. When my mom S&D'd that off my hair was -of course- thinned out severely. So if it's that much, I'd opt for trims (microtrims) instead.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    waist/TB/long

I never do S&D's. I think a good trim does a better job at keeping the ends even, healthy and pretty.

Length
    APL/BCL+/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I agree with above, microtrimming gives me better results. My hair is just prone to splits, and if I were to try to get them all via S&D my hair would become very straggly very quickly. Sometimes I crack and snip a few, but I think the key is limiting it, especially if you have long term goals like growing out layers.

Some years ago I did lots of S&D and it really did help with splits. Once I "cleared" it, I'm not having much problems with them. But, man it thinned my hemline...

Length
    MBL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I agree with the ladies here. If that many S&D's are needed to the point of thinning the ends,, the ends need more attention to minimize S&D's. The longer the hair is, the further from the roots and the less "natural" oils is received.

Length
    24/25/term

I did S&D like crazy every other day for about a month to get rid of my chem-burnt ends and then I left it alone completely. Maybe in another months or two I'll have at it again. I think handling hair too much in looking for splits can cause splits.
    APL......(Dec 2016)...BSL.......MBL......WAIST......HIP <--current goal