View Poll Results: How good is your stylin repertoire?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I shaved my head to avoid these problems.

0 0%
  • Down or Ponytail pretty much my limitations.

8 16.33%
  • Got a few tricks up my sleeve, practice makes perfect.

35 71.43%
  • Game of fauxhawks, lord of the ringlets, mistress of braids

4 8.16%
  • I can slice, grate and melt cheese?

12 24.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hairdos - Fun & just need practice, or needs hair wizard with magic fingers?

Length
    2/22?/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Hairdos - Fun & just need practice, or needs hair wizard with magic fingers?

So far I've mastered:
    The messy down look.
    A messy bun, that I think looks model casual, but actually just has most of my hair in a bun with a small chunk sticking out at an awkward angle.
    A pony tail.
    I could scrunch dry it for a messy curly look.
    I know how to use the straighteners for a sleek look but rarely do these days, for fear of damage.
    I could manage basic English? Plaited bunches.

The end.

I understand the fundamentals of a French plait say just on the bangs, but what I get is a messy unclear braid, and it emphasises the side parting and makes the less hair side even more flat looking.
    i understand the basics of a few other plait styles for half up dos but they stick up, are uneven, look undistinct, take forever to achieve nothing.
    Ive used a crimper ( or crisper, as autocorrect would have me write, and might actually be a more accurate description) a few times, it takes me about 2 hours and only works if I'm really going for the 80s revival look and there's always a random straight strand iv missed.
    Iv used a curling wand successfully on about the first front two strands of hair. After that, my hair gets in the way of itself, hair gets caught and tangled on the wand, lots of sections get missed, the front has gone flat by the time I've attempted to do the back.
    iv attempted to use curlers, they get tangled, hair unravels off the ends, the middle part curls but the ends of my hair is straight, the curlers are too heavy they fall down or won't stay in place. I can't see the back of my head. Coke cans as curlers - yeah right, behave!
    Hairwaves- one large tub of gel and four hours of my life I won't get back.
    sigh

I used to dye my hair loads cause I knew how to do that. but Hair dos all look like hair donts.

Is it practice makes perfect, or naturel unholy magical talent?
    What hair styles have you mastered / disastered
    Is there hope for banana fingers like me?
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Default Re: Hairdos - Fun & just need practice, or needs hair wizard with magic fingers?

If you are growing your hair out, forget all the stuff you mentioned Go for a natural simply shampooed/conditioned no waves hair. As for buns,,,, practice is what it takes. Go to you tube and sit there and practice all the hair bun styles you can find until you find on that works. then practice it until it is second nature. Get a few good hair toys. a Couple of sticks and a 2 and a 3 prong fork for the buns. Then stick with it. Anyone can do it if they want to. You might want to try he hair style of the month for Feb 2017 its all about rollers.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hairdos - Fun & just need practice, or needs hair wizard with magic fingers?

Keep practicing. When I started learning stick buns I would practice the same one every day for a week and by the end of a week I'd start to do the bun consistently so it held and didn't pull. After a couple months, new buns became easier. French/dutch braiding took me months of practice, but once I had those down, then new things like multi-strand braids and lace accent braids were much easier.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

How long is your hair now? Because in your stats it says "2". Is that cm or inches? That is still fairly short for all that you're saying.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    2/22?/35
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Ahhhh yes that prob needs updating! It was 2- 4 inch pixie it's now a chin /mid neck bob with shorter layered bits.
    My hair styling attempts are both from the past when my hair was a little bit longer and some from now.
    My aim was to grow it long enough to try some exciting plaits and things, but I suspect I'd still just end up wearing it down due to lack of skillz.
    Currently I wear my hair down every day, stick a hair band in, or it's just got long enough for a half up messy bun that just looks like a pony tail I forgot to finish.
    Quite often I'll attempt a French braid just along the front hairline, but I think it never looks right, get scared and pull it all out again before going out where people will see me!
    Hair tomorrow, hair yesterday, but never hair today!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Ah OK. A bob is nice! I'd enjoy the fact that you can wear this loose all you like without it getting in the way of things!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I'm a "Got a few tricks up my sleeve, practice makes perfect."

I don't believe that practice makes perfect, I know it. At the beginning, I couldn't even do a cinnamon bun. Now I can, as well as LWB, Nautilus, a few other buns, plus braids up to 5 strands. But apart from practice there's also our hair. For example, I know the technique of some buns, I can do them, but they still don't look good, I can't call them a success, because of my hair. The difference in thickness between the beginning of my braid/ponytail and the end is quite big so, for example in a Celtic Knot the first look is big, the other is very small and the bun is imbalanced, difficult to pin etc.

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Also picked "a few tricks up my sleeve".

I still think that there are many hairdos that are miles beyond me, and likely completely out of my reach. Anything involving symmetry is extremely difficult. But I've learned quite a bit in the past few months that I remember thinking were impossible.

I occasionally have magic hair days where a style I want to do works out better and more comfortable than expected (like today!), and often have evil hair days where everything hurts and pulls and snaps as I'm trying to put it up, and literally nothing feels right and I want to chop it all off (often those are scrunchie ponytail days).

But as recent as this past August, I could only do an English braid, a bun with a hairtie (and it was NOT working at my length and just hurt like the dickins if I managed to get it to stay up at all, which as you can imagine was fun in the sweltering heat), and a French braid if I tried really really hard to do this really complicated "fancy" updo. Occasionally I did a half up ponytail, but that was pushing it.

Then I saw Dutch braids everywhere. I watched several tutorials. I tried a bunch of times. I saw many people explain the difference, and I realized I didn't have to add hair to all 3 strands at once in a French or Dutch braid. I found the LHC. I found Torrin's youtube channel. I bought some pins and scrunchies, and lo and behold scrunchies held my hair up without pulling as much as a hairtie! I took a pencil sharpener to some decorative chopsticks and made functional hairsticks, and tried some buns. I learned how to rope braid!!!! I'm still learning what works for me, how my hair feels in certain styles, what's most comfortable for my hair, what looks cool, etc. But I already get compliments on how "complicated" my hairstyles are at school! (But by LHC or youtube standards I still feel very basic). I think that it took a while but with practice I've picked some stuff up, and with more I can learn more!!
    Last edited by Kae612; February 21st, 2017 at 09:22 PM.

Length
    32/35/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

A few tricks, not a wizard yet.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I can do so many different things with my hair, even now at shoulder length.