Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

This one comes from Arctic. It is a heatless curling method using a ponytail base.

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: February 2017: Arctic's Heartless Curls (heatless curling method)

Ooh, it's so fun to see my tutorial as a hairstyle of the month! I hope you all have great success with it!

I was able to repeat the heatless curls with satisfactory results, so here's a tutorial how I made them! But first photos of today's curls! These are taken about 4 hours after taking down the curlers (including few pops outdoors to a rainy, wet weather). My previous results can be seen in THIS blog post - I think I seperated the curl clumps more into smaller clumps today than on the previous time. I believe this method will become my new favourite!

ETA: I will call them Arctic's Heartless Curls, courtesy of someone's typo *insert heart here* (Sorry I forgot who you were and I think you didn't notice it yourself. In any case, thank you for the name idea!)

20170108 006-muoks-sm-arctic
    by LingonberryMist, on Flickr

20170110 042-muoks.sm-arctic

This method has worked me really well:

- it controls my double crown, unlike most other heatless curl methods
    - it's comfortable to sleep in, regardless of position
    - it minimised that ugly "ridge" I get if I make cinnabun waves (the ridge forms at the spot where I start to twist the cinnabun). I get hardly any ponytail marks either
    - it has a flattering straight to curl ratio (I don't look so good if my curls start near the roots)
    - this is hair friendly - no elastics or damaging pins

- SUPPLIES NEEDED: spin pins and bendy stick curlers, possibly a bandanna scarf (other types of curlers can work too but they might not be as comfortable to sleep in)
    - Disclamer: I have no idea how this would work on longer or thicker hair than mine

TUTORIAL

- I start with dry hair, but just before I begin I run my wetted hands (water and little watered down conditioner) through my hair, so it's the slightest bit damp.
    - I gather my well detangled hair into a ponytail (no securing it with elastics!!!) at the crown of my head, right on top of my double crown cowlicks

(And there's a typo! "Crown", it should read! Although in all honestly that's the top of the head not crown, ha ha! Sorry about that!)

20170108 003

- I neatly section off one piece, making it small enough to curl well and big enough to become a sturdy base for a ponytail (thus far I have used hair growing at the front of my head for this, because it will contain my face framing layers well that way)

20170108 002

- I wrap that section around the base of the ponytail, tucking the ends carefully under it - this is my first "roller"

20170108 006

- I secure the section/ponytail with 2 spin pins. With my thickness (and no mini sized spin pins available) the pins will show, but it doesn't matter because I use this while I sleep

- BONUS TIP FOR THICK HAIR: If your ponytail is thick enough to cover 2 spin pins, you can stop here and use this method to elastics free ponytail!

20170108 006

- I then seperate the well detangled ponytail into manageable/curlable sections. This varies wildly with ones thickness, I have found 4 sections seems to be just right for me (in these images there are 3 sections)

20170108 005

- I wrap each section, one by one, on a bendy stick curler, as close to the base as possible. The bendy rollers take only little room, and the end result is quite compact
    - by keeping the ends as smooth as possible I can affect a lot how the end results look, so it's good to be very careful with the ends and try to get them as smooth in there as possible

20170108 004

- Then I add a folded bandanna (rockabilly style) around my head. and go to sleep. These are very comfy to wear and to sleep with because they are light and compact, and the placement allows me to sleep in any position I like, and the curls/hair stays neat and tidy

20170108 001

- in the morning I take down the scarf and the curlers, fluff my roots a bit, seperate the big curly clumps into smaller clumps with my fingers, and ta-da! (my hair has completely dried from that little moisture I added by morning)
    - naturally the curl relaxes with time. For example today I started with shoulder length curls and in 3-4 hours I had the photographed wurls. The curls stay pretty well for me, I still have deep waves with some lazy spiralling in the evening.

- the only downside is, that I have noticed, is that with my hair length (APL) the hair that grows near the nape won't get much curls because of the pony placement, and these sections remain straighter/longer - but it isn't a big problem for me and while the curl on the rest of my hair relaxes the problems goes away. I could remedy this, I think, by not including this section into ponytail, but making one or two flat pincurls under the scarf . I doubt this would make sleeping more uncomfortable.
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; March 16th, 2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Replaced photos

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Cutely explained too! My hair is too thick and long for this, but it's a great tutorial idea for those growing shorter lengths out, IMO.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

just here for the cheese
    Length
    BSL/HL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Hmm I thought you were going to wrap all sections around the base. This doesn't leave elastic bumps you say? Hmmm
    With one religion, we cannot listen. With one color, we cannot see.
    With one culture, we cannot feel. Without you we can't even remember.

Length
    18/29,5/33
    Type
    1b/M/ii

amazing! I'm down to try them on my head but I left my foam curlers behind while moving... I'll think of alternatives.

MsPharoahMoan - I had the exact same thought about the wrapping all sections around base thing!

SSSLLL - AAAPPPLLL - SSSBBBLLL - MMMBBBLLL - WWWLLL

☮ Enjoy the journey ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar

This was my 'go to set' after a shampoo back in the (19)60's with my WL+ hair, or anytime I needed a bit of curl/lift.
    Back then I used SOUP CANS
    Now I would use big rollers; but only for very special occasions.
    Not even sure if they would work on WL/Hip length
    Next time I will give this a try
    Your hair is beautiful Arctic ....and love the pup pic; thanks for bringing this back
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; February 2nd, 2017 at 06:04 PM.

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I think my hair might be too long and too much of a tangle risk to try this, but it does look great!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    SL+/37/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Did it!

This time lasted longer than the first attempt, two spin pins crossed gave more support, next time I'll use regular instead of mini ones though.
    Because I set this up a few hours before going to bed I didn't actually sleep in it. By bed time it had worked it's way loose enough it was starting to pull. This was prob a good thing for getting photos though as I would never have had time in the morning anyway!
    I think it would have been fine to sleep in though, I'll give it another try on a weekend so I can see how long they last.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Since I never wear my hair down, what would I do with the curls. Maybe a half made bun with waterfall curls?? nah..no good on a 75 year old. But enjoy all you younger, thick haired. BSL girls.=)
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

☮ Enjoy the journey ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    Since I never wear my hair down, what would I do with the curls. Maybe a half made bun with waterfall curls?? nah..no good on a 75 year old. But enjoy all you younger, thick haired. BSL girls.=)
    Never say never.... it may open up new style options for you

As an older woman I enjoy wearing my hair down....and I am almost at Hip.

My styles are 'seasonal'....in warm weather I do prefer it up off my neck in buns; in the cold I like it down in some fashion.
    In Summer I have humidity curl explosions contained in banana clips and ponytails or barrettes at times.

My silver is very fine and wispy, and if it is down it must be contained in a half up, barrette, or ponytail or it is wild and in the way.
    Gone are the days of the 60's when I just parted it and went about my business; now it won't even stay tucked behind my ear lol

Maybe you were referring to the condition of your hair and not liking it down?
    But then again, you did say
    nah..no good on a 75 year old. But enjoy all you younger, thick haired. BSL girls.=)

I don't think most styles are age related, especially just grouping buns vs down.
    If that was the case then the younger gals are too young to wear your 'older lady buns' but I wouldn't wear pigtails lol

In the end personal preference does win out for each person, but let's not generally limit styles according to age.
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; February 2nd, 2017 at 08:17 PM.